News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im betting they have to release the schedule sometime before they actually play the games so time is on ur side :)

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #377 SiberianThunderT, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    I'm still chill, just starting to feel the itch a bit - operative term being "getting annoyed", not full-on annoyed. All I said earlier was that you can't claim something is truly "late" until they're later than they were last year. And now they've passed my wait-by date.

Besides, I think the shouted impatience of a large-size, all-caps statement is still much less chill than my minor annoyance. Especially when there was a reasonable explanation of the delay in another active thread.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FWIW Steve Goff is already reporting NC @ DC on April 15th - championship rematch* for the 'Plex home opener.

*expect it won't be anything like the same Spirit team now...

4. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I'll look forward to an in focus visual of that stark contrast.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think we'd be surprised or at least "annoyed" at some of the delay reasons.

6. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes on all counts...

Also, so much for that 4pm Lifetime slot! :rolleyes:

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Also, looks like the Thorns-Pride and Dash-RedStars games will be double-headers, with Timbers-SportingKC and Dynamo-MinnyU after the NWSL games, respectively. Of note, the Sounders, DCU, and SportingKC (obviously) are all away that weekend, leaving no burnout for local Reign, Spirit, or FCKC fans.

The second week (which looks like it'll have a Reign-Dash game of some sort) could potentially have another double-header in Houston (Dynamo are home while Sounders are away) and will have the Revs at home the day before the Breakers home open but otherwise no local overload.

NYFCF is away the last weekend of April, but NYRB are home the day before Sky Blue opens.

9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    two steps forward, one step back...

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home schedule for SkyBlue was leaked out. Hosting Kansas City, Orlando, and Washington twice. Home finale against Carolina.

11. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Hey!!! Schedules are hitting!!!

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'll wait for the in depth strength of schedule, game balance and other analysis from @SiberianThunderT and @holden

kernel_thai repped this.
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So here's the Dash just as an example of how they split it up. No more 4 match home and homes as expected. DASH Chi 3x, Sea 3x, Wash 3x, SB 2x, Orl 2x, Bos 3x, KC 3x, Port 3x, NC 2x

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I for one am glad they aren't doing an 4x's this year. Makes SOS much more even. As to who's got an extra game with who, I'm just glad they didn't screw up the PNW rivalry like they did in '15.

I'll need to look closer to see if there's any weirdness concerning teams playing each other in oddly close succession...

Very nice of them to observe FIFA dates. Let's just hope USSF doesn't do any long camps again...

Overall, I do really like this schedule. The only thing bugging me right now is the distribution of Wed (and one Tues) games... NC and NJ will have an extra game for a few weeks, then NJ bumps to being two games ahead of DC... we don't get fully even again until the final NC/DC game on Wed Aug 30.

kernel_thai repped this.
  15. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    What really sucks is that Dash @ SB I will be in Seattle. And Boston has 2 away games at Houston so I only have 1 Dash game I can attend this year. I'm already going to DC the weekend I get back from the west coast so can't make it to either of the Spirit games.

I will be able to attend Orlando @ Seattle though.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Double-header watch: I haven't done any digging outside of Twitter, but it looks like two Pride matches will preceded OCB matches.

I did find another ting to bug me about the schedule, though: playoffs. Despite having a dedicated TV slot now, they didn't schedule the playoff matches. I kinda understand about the SFs, but can't you at least decide on the venue for the final already? (Orlando Stadium, anyone?)

17. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    There are a few. Bos Por play each other May 19 and May 27. Hou SB are May 13 and May 20. Hou Orl June 24 and June 28 (not even a full week)

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The a lot of formula to it. For example the Dash, who r the only team Ive looked at play their first eight games against the same four teams. Also, if I were a schedule maker Id try to avoid the 3 consecutive matches on the road the Dash have at the beginning of the season. They play home Apr 12 and aren't back until May 13. Kicking off the season Id like to have a home match at least every other week.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Other quick-sucession pairings I've found: DC/KC play back-to-back on May 20th and 27th, then SEA/KC on June 17th and 24th (though there's a third KC-SEA game late-season).

That's definitely an anomaly.

20. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Especially that time of year. April is the best month of the season to have games in Houston.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A nice post from FanSided about the schedule:
    http://mlsmultiplex.com/2017/03/01/takeaways-from-nwsl-schedule-release/

22. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    looks like I got one wrong (or may have been the Dash's posted schedule as I know that was screwed up).
    Hou-Orl are back to back June 17 and June 24.

Anyway. I tried to setup a google calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=k1rdvatntn4jmveubu4kn9cb0s@group.calendar.google.com
    I will likely put in the lifetime information later on.

holden repped this.
  23. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I was holding off on any commentary until I saw the USWNT game tonight. I think I heard the NWSL mentioned once... not sure if I missed any times... I definitely didn't hear the being schedule released today mentioned. I know Fox doesn't have the NWSL rights anymore, but the only reason releasing the schedules today makes sense is if they were going to promote it during the game tonight. I did see a little NWSL ad pop up on the sideline video boards saying the season starts blah blah blah, but only during the England and France game... Just seems like really poor timing to me to make an announcement like this right before the SheBelieves cup starts so everyone ignores it because the USWNT is deemed to be more important.

24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was mentioned 2-3 times.

It was definitely mentioned.