NWSL General - Info / Comments / News

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People did in the 70's.

Are you saying that someone should call the cops on the USSF?

BTW, I agree with you, USSF is not just going to hand over cash to NWSL teams, that is IMO a non starter.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't get your analogy. How is USSF and NWSL compared as neighbors? If anything they should be compared as Parent and child.

Also, are you suggesting that Abby belongs to USSF over her Club team?

You know, folks, if USSF wants a serious domestic league to thrive, then it must support it and not have classes of players. If they are not careful, and let this league fold it will be very hard to start a new one in the future.

That's why I hate the way the USWNT is set up now and how it's run. I hate the CBA because once you get one of these entitled players on it, it's hard getting her off for someone else to get a chance. The young players like Tymrak and Hagen and O'hai never get caps because some old hen who has a contract has to play in a meaningless friendly.

babranski and WNYChelseaFan repped this.
  3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I would actually say it's USSF is the grandparent, NWSL is the parent, and the NWSL players are the children.

Yes, the parent is supposed to be able to support itself independently. But if the parent is unable to afford feeding it's children, is it so unreasonable for the grandparent to step in and help out financially so that it's grandchildren don't starve? Or if a child, we'll call her Mary, runs away from home because they didn't buy her that new iPhone she wanted and she shows up at her grandparent's house, would you expect the grandparent to not do anything to get Mary to go back to her home?

JanBalk repped this.
  4. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  7. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    ARHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No NT players at Sahlen's until after the WWC, since May 2nd's WNY's first home game of the season.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations. Now spend those internet points wisely.

Would it really have made a difference to wait two damn days? Just two?

CoachJon repped this.
  11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    There is still a chance that Sydney and Engen might return after their match. Players are known to return at varying dates

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Youve got a gripe. Why May 1st which is Friday. Generally for a Sunday match (May 10th) the players would arrive Monday. In a real league using FIFA rules they would arrive after the weekend's matches r concluded. May 1st seems pretty arbitrary to me on Ellis' part and detrimental to the league.

CoachJon repped this.
  13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shows how much pull Plush has. Ellis is a selfish witch. There is a full slate on May 2. The ONLY justification she may have is risk of injury. A few days before the tournament, maybe. But more than a month before the tournament? No way that justification works.

Sat, May 2, 2015
    6:00 pm ET Chicago Red Stars vs Sky Blue FC Village of Lisle-Benedictine University Stadium
    7:00 pm ET Western New York Flash vs Boston Breakers Sahlen's Stadium
    8:30 pm ET Houston Dash vs FC Kansas City BBVA Compass Stadium
    10:00 pm ET Seattle Reign FC vs Washington Spirit Moda Pitch at Memorial Stadium

14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BlueCrimson and kernel_thai repped this.
  15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does this communicate to the WNT players? That the only thing right now that matters is the WWC.

If you understand player psychology, that definitely makes a difference.

A lot of posters sit around ready to execute Ellis if the USWNT doesn't win the WWC, and then when she does things she believes will help the team win it, they get pissed off. In fact a lot of posters here are like the Republicans with Obama. It doesn't matter what she does, even if she does things they once advocated, they'll find a reason why it proves she's evil.

And I don't even like Ellis.

16. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It seems a lack of respect by the National Team for the NWSL.

JanBalk repped this.
  17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    All I'm saying is let's wait and see what happens. For all we know, it may just be coaches gathering on May 1 and players start arriving later based on availability.

18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really, really hope this is true. One tweet is hardly a complete statement of intent. Ellis could have said "first of May." And she told SI she has basically chosen the WC team already, so what is the point of a couple extra days in camp?

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree in this case. Do you really think this NT needs the importance of the WC reinforced in its psyche? If a player hasn't emotionally bought into the importance of the 2015 WC already, then that is not how that particular player gets motivated.
    I also disagree on this point. Those who are anti-Ellis are not waiting to the WC to execute her. I think most of her detractors are like me; I decided long ago that if this team wins the WC, it will be in spite of Jill Ellis, not because of her.

SiberianThunderT and kernel_thai repped this.
  20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    isn't that what cpt is saying tho?

it doesn't matter what she does. even if she coaches them to a world cup title, she's still no good in your eyes.

cpthomas repped this.
  21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just say I think Jill Ellis is not good enough for the USWNT.
    And cpt's post has two "if this, then that" type of statements, so it is tough to break down - one can agree or disagree with two premises and two consequences - too many variations to address in a short rejoinder. I disagreed with cpt's premise that many posters are actually waiting to see if the team wins the WC to execute her; I believe most detractors have dropped their imaginary guillotines already.

BTW per the SI interview, she has decided to put Lloyd back in the middle. That is a good choice on her part. Nice coach, good girl, goooood coach-y. I guess I'm feeling snarky today.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    IMO Ellis has just now got them playing back to the level when she took over. That's not accomplishing too much. Now I do give her credit for trying stuff but for positive result she gets there seems to be a negative. Plus, I dont like her at all with the young players.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, I put less blame on Ellis and more blame on the whole USSF/USWNT system that's allowed for the WNT's level of play to degrade. But essentially, this:
    I don't expect the USWNT to win the WWC - in fact, I would not be surprised if the US crashes out before the semis for the first time ever, simply based on how the roster's stagnated. The team has plateaued with the players it has now. So, right now, I care much more about NWSL than about the USWNT, regardless of what the people/players in charge of the USWNT do. So when NWSL gets slighted more and more, I get angrier. And
    I think you'd be hard-pressed to find posters on the NWSL board here that advocated for taking players out of NWSL play, honestly.

CoachJon repped this.
  24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is EXACTLY how I feel. Thanks for putting it in words.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont think Ellis is trying to give the league a hard time...I just think she has missed the significance of the date. If the case is she just wants them sooner then take them April 28th. Why leave them to practice with their club teams if they arent going to be at the match on May 2nd?

As to Ellis in general, there is no relationship between what Ellis is trying to do and the players she is trying to do it with. She either needs to pick a system and call the players who can best play it or pick a system that suits the players she is determined to call. With both the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-2-2 she has called the usual suspects and tried to pigeon hole them into the system.