NWSL Franchise - Welcome to Utah

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SenordrummeR2, Nov 15, 2017.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that. The Royal Jellies would also marry the organization's Spanish moniker with a beloved local marketing product.

Allez RSL repped this.
  2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Royal Jellies makes me think of Spongebob.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your tone suggests that is a bad thing...

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if KMYU will broadcast RSL NWSL's games like RSL MLS games?

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    completely new negotiations, I'm sure. I hope they can get it all in one shop, but having the women on say ksl and the men on kmyu wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Also, everyone should take the time to read the article Ish posted above. It's really detailed and informative for those of you, like me, that aren't as up to speed with NWSL as you'd like to be

edit: Roster rules for NWSL are craaaaaazy

Paleworm repped this.
  7. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salt lake Shegulls . . .

I'll see myself out

PumaJohnny, Allez RSL, Ender16 and 10 others repped this.
  8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped at the salary cap and minimum/maximum salary for players. Wow!

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maximum, Minimum Player Salary Budget Charges

Minimum Salary: $15,000.
    Maximum Salary: $41,700.
    Team Salary Cap: $315,000.

wtf?

El-ahrairah and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 player roster (min) means the average player makes $17.5K
    that's.... wow. Unless my math is off, you can only carry one max salary player.

Instead of designated players, they have "federation players". This is a whole new world of crazy roster rules I have to learn.

El-ahrairah and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  11. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duffy: Hey DLH, want an NWSL franchise?
    DLH: *checks couch cushions for lose bills*
    DLH: Sure!

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no joke, a lot of these players are taking a pay cut when they leave from college, in a sense. Their scholarships covered more money than these paychecks. It's... wow.

The women's game has a LONG way to come in this area. Glad DLH is doing his part to help that growth. With those numbers, season tickets are gonna be in the Monarch range I imagine.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the women's game isn't as popular as the men's game, but I expected that the salary structure would have been more. It sounded like FCKC had money issues which is why they were looking for SKC to buy the team, but maybe it was more than that.

14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the USL rules for salaries? I'm assuming that they have a salary cap also.

15. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This filled in a couple things I didn't know the particulars on. The national teamers are paid by their federations directly, not their clubs. I knew most other players made $15-20K, but didn't think "most" meant "nearly all."

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, to make the national team pool in women's soccer is essentially to make a living wage. How do these other players afford anything? Do they all work full time jobs on the side?

17. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Room and board is often covered, but many have part time or off-season employment. Not sure I'd be super thrilled at staying in someone's spare room or six to a three bedroom apartment.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that'll be interesting to see play out with DLH. I know for a lot of the Monarch guys he put them up in one of his many complex's. However, it wasn't "free". They never paid for it directly, but it came out of their paychecks. They did get a pretty sizable discount on the rent, though.

This has to make for some weird locker room talk/interactions. The notable players on this roster roll up in their nice(ish) cars while the others are taking an uber or the team bus (which RSL has). And it's not like players are making SOOO much more than one another within the club boundaries. Sure, you could have a player making double another one - but that's 15k to 30k stuff. Neither is a living wage

I haven't seen player specific salaries posted anywhere. Does anyone have that? I wonder if the national team players are all at the minimum given they have income coming from elsewhere.

19. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are some crazy low salary numbers. I get the sport not being big enough to be having a roster full of 70k+ players, but I would've thought the minimum would've been closer to 30k, which is pretty close to a living wage depending on the area. At least in that situation you can get by with a roommate and not need a part time job or have to rely on multiple people so you can get by.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League rules prohibit salaries from being made public. But in reality, very few players will hit the maximum because the cap is so restrictive.

We don't know what the Canadian federation players make, but under the USWNT's previous CBA, US federation players' NWSL salary was about 56K. It may have gone up under the new CBA signed this year, though.

That's a huge step up from the salary numbers when the league launched. In 2013, the cap was at 200K, max was 30K and minimum was 6K. The salaries might not be going up as fast as most fans would like them to go up, but it's slowly getting there.

Each team has different standards for living arrangements. North Carolina houses all the players in one apartment complex, while Boston and Washington put their players with host families.

Allez RSL, acima and 15 to 32 repped this.
  21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see some commercials for this. Adopt a NWSL player today!

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those salaries are shocking, 3+ years ago I moved back to salt lake because I was struggling to afford my cost of living on a $30k/year salary. These days you just can't live in that city on a salary that low, with a max salary at ~$40k I'm blown away any woman would make the effort to play in the league. That's just crazy.

23. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I tend to like people who do what they love, rather than do what they find makes the most money.

Basically the fact that they are willing to sacrifice so much for their sport is pretty cool. Dang. There are not a lot of people who can say the same thing.

In the U.S. the mens sport was in the same place. I remember hearing about early 90's era players having side gigs on some teams, though the details regrettably slip my mind. Can anyone perhaps confirm or deny that general idea?

24. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    National teamers are paid entirely by the fed. This is why so many are often indifferent to their clubs; they see the USWNT as their actual team.

15 to 32 repped this.
  25. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year or two ago there was a special on Fox Sports (might’ve been during the last women’s World Cup) that showed Meghan Klingenberg and one other player were living with Jeff Van Gundy and his family. They played for the Houston Dash at that time. When the league first started, there was a team (Western New York Flash?) that housed their players in a retirement community home.