NWSL Coaches

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by mamalia, Oct 2, 2015.

1. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Rather than utilize the Player Moves thread to continue the interesting discussion on Coaches, coaching tactics and coaching moves.... thought it was a good idea to give the Coaches their own thread. They've earned it and look like they will supply plenty of Hot Stove fun during the offseason.

Blaze, if you think inappropriate, feel free to remove.
    Thanks.

holden and soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 cpthomas, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Good move, I like having this thread to keep the coach discussion separate from the player moves discussion.

Continuing about Parsons, I agree that there are a lot of great things about DC. As I said, I've lived there and visited there often. And, there are some great areas outside DC proper. But, the kind of area Parsons wants to live in is a matter of his opinion, which none of us is privy to so we have to go with our own opinions about whether Portland might be attractive to him and possibly more attractive than the DC area.

It's probably reasonable to assume, though, that the main consideration is the main job, which is coaching a NWSL team. If he's coming to Portland, it's apparently because he finds the opportunity to coach the Thorns -- with whatever goes along with that, financial and otherwise -- to be more attractive than the opportunity to coach the Spirit.

Just to be clear on this, however, my posts have been in response to a post from SCF saying, "I wonder what they offered him because I don't see Mark going there just for the money and visibility. Will they add a whole youth-to-W-League soccer program akin to what the Spirit have?"

My point was and is that there could be lots of pretty obvious reasons for him to prefer Portland over DC and its environs, some soccer related and others not. Some might agree with the reasons and some might not -- some of them are financial and others have to do with matters of taste. But there was something about the quoted statement that rubbed me the wrong way -- the "why could he possibly choose the Thorns/Portland over the Spirit/DC area" -- coupled with the fact of an assumption that the Thorns are not already in the process of adding a youth program when in fact they are and information about it is available on the Timbers/Thorns website.

3. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Official announcement from the Thorns on Mark Parson's hiring:

http://www.timbers.com/post/2015/10/05/thorns-fc-name-mark-parsons-head-coach-2016-season

“I am honored and grateful to be given the opportunity by Merritt Paulson and Gavin Wilkinson to take over as head coach of the Thorns,” said Parsons. “During my visits and time here I have developed a strong admiration for the fans, the city and their passion for soccer. I am excited to get started with the players and commit to holding the highest possible standards of excellence in everything that we do. I can’t wait to hear that first roar from the Riveters in 2016.”

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I'm more interested in any quotes about his coaching philosophy and what he thinks the Thorns need to do to succeed.

5. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I think I'd rather have a coach who pontificates less (than Parsons' predecessor) and coaches better.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #6 Cliveworshipper, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    That's just it. Looking at the two teams, the goals for and against pretty much mirror each other.

The Thorns weren't very good defensively. Washington wasn't any better.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Oh lord

CoachJon repped this.
  9. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Bit of a bombshell.

10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprising, really, since Karin coaches at Navy and they have three teen-aged children. In fact, it makes a lot of sense.

CoachJon repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sick of the musical chairs. I want fresh faces.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maybe musical chairs is the way to go. Two years then rotate the coaches. :) Going to be some unhappy campers in DC tho.

13. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Didn't they say when Parsons went to Portland, it was the first time in any of the three US women's leagues that a coach went directly from one team to another? (Discounting the Gabarra Freedom to Sky Blue move as Freedom were about to turn into Magic Jack and move away or whatever). So it's happened twice, then, in 9 seasons of pro soccer. We will have to get some new faces in addition to Matt Beard, unless Christie Rampone is head coach of Sky Blue and Orlando hires Riley or Durkin.

You would think so... well all this just adds more layers of interest to next season for us obsessives.

14. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schatz/Parsons interview on his coming to Thorns from Spirit. Not a lot of substance, but it was hard to leave the Spirit but coming to the Thorns was too good: Schatz/Parsons Interview.

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that Gabarra has had great success in DC - the Freedom made the playoffs every year but 2001. The bad news is that he wasn't nearly as successful in NJ. Which Gabarra will we get?

17. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    He also had a big loosing streak when he left Washington last time so he wasn't always successful there.

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Also Jeff is reporting that it is unlikely that Riley will get the SBFC job. So we might as yet see another face coaching them.
    If I were them, I'll promote one of the assistants they reported will be returning but also encourage Rampone to get her coaching license if she doesn't have one already so at some point she can take over.

After all, it was under her leadership both as a coach and a player that they upset the Sol for their lone championship

SiberianThunderT and CoachJon repped this.
  20. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He is on twitter and replies to DM ...

soccersubjectively repped this.
  22. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had a big losing streak mid-season in 2010 but still did well enough to make the playoffs, albeit in 4th place. Gabarra has only once failed to take a Washington team to the playoffs, and that once was 2001.

23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:

I'm guessing they are dragging their feet because they have somewhat competent assistant coaches and there is always the fall back option of Rampone as player-coach.

Or this could just be SBFC being cheap.

24. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Which brings up the question, What the heck is going on with Sky Blue?

No season tickets on sale.
    No head coach announcement yet.

Does the league have any teeth to see that they comply to certain procedures such as the selling of season tickets?

I wonder if there might be something else going on here. Might we soon expect the announcement of a ownership change? Would explain the reason for no season tickets being sold. Also would apply to not hiring a new head coach, leaving that up to the new owner. If that happens, might the new owners be one of the New York MLS teams? Just food for thought!

25. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    They're working out Rampone as Player/Coach/Owner. :ninja: