NWSL All Star team, May 20

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Smallchief, May 20, 2013.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ok, it's early and I'm no expert, but to open a discussion and to mark what I've seen, below is my NWSL all star team so far this year. Nobody from Seattle, Chicago, or Boston made the team. I hated to leave Fishloch off. Boston is a decent team but I didnt perceive that any of its players consistently excelled.

Here's my picks:

Forward: Morgan, Portland. (any doubt on this?)
    Cuelllar, KC (four goals in five games. Production matters.)

Midfield: Sinclair, Portland (dominating wherever she plays)
    Matheson, Washington
    Schmidt, Sky Blue
    Scott, KC (Yeah, it's an all Canadian midfield)

Defense: Sauerbrunn, KC
    Rampone, Sky Blue
    Krieger, Washington
    Doughterty, Portland (perhaps my least certain choice)

GK: Franche, W NY (Gets lot of action, handles it well)

2. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    of course in the both, it's Missy Geha. :ROFLMAO: But I do like the animation of the two ladies in Portland.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

At least you picked a team with defenders on it.

But a 10 player team isn't going far. I'm not sure who they would play, but they will be tired playing man down for 90 with no subs.

Katreus and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If NWSL was taking on one of the other power clubs across the world in a "Friendly", and all players (including allocated players) were eligible to be chosen, here's my team of 22 NWSL all-stars to take the pitch against Lyon, as of "today" (based on who's healthy, and who has earned it).

F - Alex Morgan, Christine Sinclair, Sydney Leroux, Lisa De Vanna, Samantha Kerr
    MF - Freels, O'Reilly, Schmidt, Desiree Scott, Matheson, Fishlock, Mewis, Becky Edwards
    D - Kelley O'Hara, Ali Krieger, Sauerbrunn, Rampone, Caitlin Foord, Dougherty, Deines
    GK - Nicole Barnhart, Adrianna Franch

Amazing how Chicago doesn't have a player on that list, and everyone else has at least two players.
    22 players, represented by 7 teams.

Sky Blue = 6 players (De Vanna, Freels, Schmidt, O'Hara, Foord, Rampone)
    Portland = 4 players (Morgan, Sinclair, Edwards, Dougherty)
    FCKC = 4 players (Mewis, Scott, Sauerbrunn, Barnhart)
    Boston = 2 players (Leroux, O'Reilly)
    Washington = 2 players (Matheson, Krieger)
    WNY = 2 players (Kerr, Franch)
    Seattle = 2 players (Fishlock, Deines)
    Chicago = 0 players

5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Great minds think alike. Here's an all star team published by all-white today. Wambach is the only one on the all-white team with whom I completely disagree. She's had one good game -- and that's all.

Best XI:
    GK – Brittany Cameron (SBFC)
    LB – Leigh Ann Robinson (FCKC)
    CB – Christie Rampone (SBFC)
    CB – Becky Sauerbrunn (FCKC)
    RB – Marian Dougherty (POR)
    DM – Desiree Scott (FCKC)
    CM – Sophie Schmidt (SBFC)
    AM – Christine Sinclair (POR)
    AM – Diana Matheson (WSH)
    FW – Abby Wambach (WNY)
    FW – Renae Cuellar (FCKC)

Most Outstanding Player: Christie Rampone, SBFC
    Most Valuable Player: Diana Matheson, WSH
    Rookie of the Year: Renae Cuellar, FCKC
    GK of the Year: Brittany Cameron, SBFC
    DEF of the Year: Christie Rampone, SBFC
    MF of the Year: Diana Matheson, WSH
    FW of the Year: Renae Cuellar, FCKC
    Coach of the Year: Jim Gabarra, SBFC

6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I still like Estelle over Dougherty. Agreed, Wambach had the one good outing SB with a freebie from Rampone.

Before the league started, Rampone was the NT player many wanted to throw under the bus. But after those 1v1 against Morgan, Ole Girl is still possibly a top 3 defender in the world. Yeah, she makes a clearance error more often now, but you can't teach pace and experience. Those compensate well in her case.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Lori Chalupny should be on everyones list.
    WPS_Movement you're anti-Chicago anyway. I don't expect much from you.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Best XI:
    GK – Nicole Barnhart (FCKC)
    LB – Leigh Ann Robinson (FCKC)
    CB – Christie Rampone (SBFC)
    CB – Becky Sauerbrunn (FCKC)
    RB – Marian Dougherty (POR)
    DM – Desiree Scott (FCKC)
    DM – Jess Fishlock (SEAT)
    AM – Samantha Kerr (WNY)
    AM – Diana Matheson (WSH)
    CM – Christine Sinclair (POR)
    FW – Alex Morgan (POR)

My three subs would be
    Caitlin Foord (SBFC)
    Sophie Schmidt (SBFC)
    Lianne Sanderson (BOS)

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For years, I've been seeing Buehler dissed on BS, so I expected her to be a dud for the Thorns. I have to say, having watched every Thorns game she's been great. I haven't watched the other CDs on the list in every game they've played, but it's hard to believe others have been better.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Buehler detractors, and I guess Im one, come in two flavors. One group doesnt think she happens to be one of the three best CBs in the US and generally have their own favorite to push like Whitney Engen. The other (raises his hand) appreciates her toughness but is concerned with her bull in a china shop approach to defense. I dont think anyone thinks she cant be a quality performer at the club level. Im just not sure she's a starter for the top WNT in the world.

Namdynamo repped this.
  11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Three flavors.

Some think a defender's job is to defend, win the ball, and keep possession if she expects to win a medal. ;)

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    anarchist

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Devil made me do it.

14. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    She was on the ground as usual for the Fishlock goal. I'd have to look back at the Lytle score since that was on her side too. She starts, because Rampone loves her on the NT. I'm guessing if Rampone an't cover she knows Buehler will literally tackle someone (Japan in the Olympics :rolleyes:). If Rampone retired right now, she'd be history.

If Portland gets beat in the championship, it will a combo of Buehler and LeBlanc doing them in with Sinclair stuck in the mid-field a close 2nd.

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yes, and if Portland wins it will be because of Morgan's Nike contract. You are so predictable.

16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Where did you come up with that? I've already agreed for the betterment of the league Portland should win and have great attendance. But I will still be anti-Portland at the FCKC games.

And who cares about the KeyBank Club, anyway?

The fanboys need to cut the nonsense. If Sinclair wasn't on that team, they would probably be a .500 club, just trying to give Morgan long balls.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Here, among other places.

Speaking of where did that come from.... The key bank club doesn't miss you.

One of your goofier attempts. Your whole life is a sad series of ifs , conspiracies and imagined scenarios.

As to what Portland would do....Have you been watching?

Getting Morgan AND Sinclair long balls is exactly what they do now even with Sinclair and they are at the top of the table with 16 points.

It's hardly Barça ball.

Cone promised us possession offence. Still waiting for that. If it happens they will be unstoppable. If not, they will crash. The jury is still out as to whether that will happen. It will be fun watching either way.

Yes, Portland has Sinclair. Every contender has more than one great player. The teams that don't have one will not fare well. Ask Seattle.

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    while you're throwing everything at me, did you read equalizer? it seems pinoe is making pro portland posts on twitter, and ignoring seattle. so, she was the one, who got dumped for morgan? didn't she play for the univ of portland? if ussocer screwed her over, where was morgan suppose to play? seattle?

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The big question in Portland is what does Tobin Heath bring. Does she sit in the middle and relieve Sinc of distribution duties? If so she has to make those sweet passes she is capable of, not the dribble until they stop me approach she reverts to. It's time to see if she learned anything in France besides Oui.

Im also waiting for the Chicago game on June 1st. Will the midfield step up or will they expect the Foxhoven/Shim offense to carry them to victory?

20. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    if she consistently dribbles into double teams for the NT, what do you think will happen with Portland, since she is probably felling her oats after the French experience? I'm taking odds Sinclair will still be stuck in the mid-field.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm not sure you can call that the big question. Notwithstanding that I can't ever think of a time when Tobin established herself as an effective AM , The big question is - will she ever set foot in Portland? - not what French goodies she has with her. It's a useless digression.
    The last article I saw said she is undecided about returning to Europe. If she signs again, she won't play here. Her team won't want to risk her. We shall see if she gets tired of Europe or if her team is willing to shell out to keep her.
    Asking how Tobin will transform the team is a bit like asking if Amber Brooks will transform the midfield or when is Tina Ellertson suiting up, or will the Mexicans come back. These things weren't likely ( despite all the talk here) before the drafts and doesn't look any more likely now.
    you might as well speculate on Javier Masherano putting on a wig and playing holding mid for them.
    None of those scenarios are anything you can count on. Speculation on new players coming in looks as likely as WPS_Movements lists on the 20 most likely expansion teams. ( Justin Bieber??)

People need to get used to the idea that teams are pretty much fixed right now. There aren't any magic bullets. The league rules just don't allow any new sources of players. The path for teams is to learn to play as a team with who they have now. Some are doing it faster than others. Some coaches may not be able to get players to adapt to whatever system they aspouse. The jury is out with Cone. All those players can compete. The question is if they can be an effective team against top competition?
    ( and are Chicago in that category?)

Both teams will lose players. How will Chicago do with Vancil in the net? And who will replace Boxx and Moscato?
    Portland has a second keeper I'm not sure could reach the crossbar with a stepladder. But hey! She won a National Championship.

Should be interesting all around. But explain what you mean about stepping up.

You seem to be so gleeful about playing the Thorns with Sinclair and Morgan gone, a shaky midfield and questionable back four that you might have lost track that Allie Long's goal the last time would have been enough to win and Chicago got shut out. Looking at AWK's stats, Portland had more of the ball. The time before, Foxhoven's goal actually would have been enough to beat them without Sinclair's tally. She has already shown she can score on the Stars. Chicago hasn't scored on the Thorns midfield or back line in two tries at home. How are they on the road?

Chicago is going to have to figure out how to actually put one on the board before they can fly home with three points.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well Im kinda gleeful to see Foxhoven play and am interested in Ady Gay as im a UNC fan. Personally I dont give a hoot who wins the game. Get back to me when they play WNY.

There is still the possibility that PSG makes an offer Heath wont refuse but their last game is Sunday. After that it's more a matter what her Portland contract says.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Since FIFA's documents on the status and transfer of players say a player can hold only one contract at a time, there is no Portland contract at the moment.

No published data from her as to what she will do, either.

24. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    You don't think Tobin is a upgrade over Nikki Washington? I'm a UNC fan and Nikki hasnt played well at all, seems like she is playing hurt. Her passing is way off. I doubt Tobin could pass much worse.

25. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I am not saying that I think Chicago will win, I don't, but it is a whole different story playing that team without Sinclair and Morgan on the field. Even though they don't play defense exclusively, they change the way the other teams defense and midfield play.