NRC - NHL Winter Classic

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by teskicks, Oct 6, 2015.

1. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just received an email inviting us, as season ticket holders, to fill out a form as an entry into a raffle for the right to purchase tickets for the winter classic. Made sense to me until I spoke to a friend who is a Patriots season ticket holder. They were already offered tickets, not the entry int a raffle, but tickets. Feeling like a second class citizen.

My boys have been asking/hoping that as season ticket holders we would be offered the right to purchase tickets in the same way we are offered concert tickets.

2. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You feel like a second-class citizen, because you are one.

SamSam, lufty and Crooked repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Pats sell out every game, and have something like 95% capacity as STH. But is every single Pats STH going to buy hockey tickets? Sure, there will always be crossover, but surely there are football fans who don't care for hockey who would have no interest sitting outside on a colder-than-a-Pats-game day squinting down at a tiny rink and a puck you can barely see...

The revs have what, 7,000 STHs? The same thing applies to this group--not everyone is interested. If yo do the math, you can't tell me that there wouldn't be enough room to accommodate both sets of STH who wanted to go.

Maybe the pecking order is Bruins, Pats, and then the Revs, and the Bruins STH who add up to maybe 17,000, would take a big chunk of what is left over from uninterested Pats fans.

4. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dad is a Patriots season ticket holder, and I had thought all Patriots season ticket holders would be able to purchase Winter Classic tickets. Apparently Patriots season ticket holders were only put into a lottery to purchase tickets. The chances of these becoming available to the general public on Ticketmaster are probably slim to none. Oh well, the tickets are awful expensive, so its probably just as well.

5. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Revs STH's get exactly the same offers the Pats' do. Of course, I don't think of it as a special perk for the Revs fans, but rather the path of least resistance -- put the two mailing lists together and click send.

Given that I think the B's are going to look like the Sawx this year (lot's of youthful pluck, not much in the way of results), this is probably a good year to pass on the overpriced "experience" anyway.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. Minuteman

Minuteman Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Abington, MA
    I went to a Winter Classic once. Once!

NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got an email telling me I did NOT win the raffle and can not buy tickets.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I did not win the Publishers Clearinghouse sweepstakes either, despite getting an envelope that said I had "Won TEN MILLION DOLLARS!" I think I'm gonna hire the lawyer that won the case against "The Never Ending Story" for truth in advertising.

But the thing about the Winter Classic is that when they only did it once a year league-wide, it was something special. Now, several cities (like ours) have hosted more than once and the novelty and uniqueness has worn off to the point that it is a cold day outside in a too-big stadium where you can't even see the puck, and the tickets are prolly more expensive than a regular game anyway, because of "the experience."

10. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until I see otherwise my theory is that this was all a farce and no Revs STH will get tickets. ;-)

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, a couple of them got tickets. And what a freakin' rip off these are. $279 for 2 tickets in Section 324. Glad I didn't win the lottery. And no, not blaming the Revs, I know they've got nothing to do with this.

12. Minuteman

Minuteman Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Abington, MA
    The site lines at these games are at such a low angle and far away. So, in most places one can't see the puck 50% of the time. Combine that with numb toes and fingers, for me it makes for a one off.

13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just bought mine.

14. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got another email saying that "New inventory" became available and that I can now buy two tickets.

15. Pfoley58

Pfoley58 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Scitaute MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got drawn in the "2nd chance" lottery last week. Bought two tickets.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoy the game! Hope the weather cooperates and it's a fun experience.