Now or Never | The 2017-18 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1952 Gilmango, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Farewell Masch, I think starting in China will prep him for his final World Cup and he'll be a big part of the Argentine National Team. Best of luck!

Meanwhile, Barca gets an extra 3.5-4 M for Grimaldo (already paid 1.5M plus we get 10--15% of future sale, who is moving to Napoli in the summer from Benfica. Weird that when Italian teams want Barca players they only want loans, but they can afford to pay 30M up front. https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...aldo-but-benfica-are-the-real-winners-6574927

Still a shock that we bought Digne (for 16.5M plus variables) less than 6 months after we sold Grimaldo on the cheap (though I do understand that Grimaldo held the cards at that time as his contract was up in the summer, so our cheap sale was largely to get something instead of have him leave for free). Had Lucho given him minutes and faith that he'd make the first team eventually he'd be Alba's back up now, and eventual successor. But maybe backing up Alba was not what he wanted since Alba was only 26 at the time, 28 now.

Trillz repped this.
  3. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  4. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I like Digne. He is a very capable LB

Also I don't see Ghoulam moving so soon considering his injury hence no Grimaldo for Napoli

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

inswinger repped this.
  6. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We’re linked with Arthur Melo and he plays just like Xavi.

7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    inswinger repped this.
  8. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1958 inswinger, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Adeu, Masche (and a Laporta sighting!)

And Jefecito's little son Bruno is a-dor-a-ble.

Edit: Wowza, Yerry Mina is an effin GIANT. Have we ever had a player as tall as him (6'5")?

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  9. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i think Zlatan is also 6'5"

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  10. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    H'es 1.95m so is Zlatan. Pique is 1.94m only 1cm shorter!

11. Trillz

Trillz Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna II
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If Mina pans out, I do wonder if the de Ligt rumors end.

Judging from the handful of Ajax games I've seen, he definitely fits the Barca CB profile. But with Vermaelan playing so well now (when fit), do we really need and have room for 5 central defenders?

12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No room for 5, but Verm is 32 and only under contract till 2019, so we will need a 4th by that summer. But that is when Marlon's loan to Nice ends, so if Mina has panned out and Marlon has impressed in France we are all set with 4 CBs still. There is also Barca B and lower rungs of La Masia, for potential help.

But if Mina doesn't pan out, or Marlon doesn't look up to being a Barca player, then we probably are in the market by next summer (2019).

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Interesting to note that our average attentive way down this season !!

I think it reflects our disappointing playing style .

Sure we are winning ( although our competitors seem determined to help us along ) .. but our play hasn't been sparkling like in past years .

Maybe the arrival of Coutinho will add some more magic !!

14. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Our playing style is just fine. What are you talking about?

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Compared to the glory days !?

Come on .. we are playing Rakitic and Paulhino and worse players getting games for us ... check on some old teamsheets and footage .

As I said with Coutinho here and Dembele nearly ready we should get a lot better.

Why do you think the attendances are so low ??

16. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We play a different style now, but not all that radically different. The style still bases on quick passing and possession. Rakitic is solid, Paulinho is solid. Neither is Xavi, but teamsheets of any year have had their share of others-than-Xavi. It wasn't all dandy all the time before either.

I don't know exactly, but then I'm not an expert on the subject. It's a combination of many things why people attend leisure events such as concerts, sports events etc. I'd guess the political situation in Catalonia and its effect on tourism have more to do with the attendance number than our playing style, though. I'd also guess that - on average - good results drive the attendance higher whereas bad results drive them lower. People want style, of course, especially in places in like Barcelona, but results matter a lot.

evil_allan repped this.
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I’m not sure what you’re comparing it to (2009-2011 or last year) but keep in mind most of our big / attractive home games are still to come (Madrid, Atlético, Chelsea). We also didn’t draw any attractive rivals in Copa like in some previous seasons.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the super cup result combined with Neymar’s exit turned people off. At least until November when it looked like it might be a good season afterall.
    In general, I would expect attendance to be higher in the last 3 months of a season (weather gets better, more tourists, games increase in importance, etc.).

Also, not sure but seems like we have more 20h45 kick offs this season. I know that the afternoon kick off times tend to draw bigger numbers as people bring their entire family to the stadium.

So yeah, potentially many factors.

18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a bit of a plea in Sport about attending Camp Nou: https://www.sport-english.com/en/news/opinion/the-sin-of-not-going-to-camp-nou-6583201

19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deulofeu rumored heading to Watford (mid-table EPL) for a loan, we'd like loan to require purchase in summer, but Watford is resisting. More distressingly, it has emerged that by invoking our right to buy Deulofeu back from Everton we (1) cannot sell him till summer 2018 (seemingly a loan may be allowed), and (2) if we then sell him Everton may have the right to match terms (first refusal), and may also be entitled to a share of the sale price (hopefully only to the extent it exceeds the 12M we paid to buy him back). Good lord we can do bad business at times. http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co....ransfer-talk-watford-linked-barcelona-1131726

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Especially when the business centers around Catalan players. The red & yellow striped spazzo glasses that the Board members slip on whenever negotiating deals connected to such players seems to enable others to take them for fools.

21. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Masia players are tricky to sell for good money by default, though.

I mean, either a player is so good that he makes it to the first team and gets enough minutes to be happy. This is rare. Or he doesn't, and then every buyer knows we either sell cheaply or keep a player we don't really rate.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So far, out of that potential of €130mn in sales revenue we have generated €5mn (for selling a club legend)! :laugh:

23. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad but true, at least we still have Rakitic, whom we count on, Aleix, and Gomes. I don't rate Gomes but he does have value. Aleix is good when given minutes. Rakitic is good to great. And IF Inter makes CL we may actually get more for Rafinha than the 20 forecast (35+3.5 supposedly). And for better or worse we still own most of the rights to re-sell Deulofeu and Arda (though Everton and Arda's new club share in part of sale proceeds).

24. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Keep on dreaming! Only Barca player that potentially could bring in a "decent" transfer fee is Yum Titties. Barça boards since the beginning of time are useless at selling. They are all schooled to devaluation of players and loaning them out except for a few cases.

Edit. Umtiti that is [emoji23]

puyol repped this.
  25. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    its going to be difficult to ever recreate the magic of Pep years...I mean they eclipsed the Dream Team years