Not the one we wanted: the Nemanja Matić thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm still struggling understanding why some here objected to us bringing in Matic. He was nothing less than fantastic for Chelsa and, at the age of 29, he's maintained his world class form.

3. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He was inconsistent at best for us. Nothing less than fantastic? Yikes. Guy had ONE really great 3-4 month stretch under Jose for our title win in 2015.

4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maybe I only watched Chelsea in big games, but from what I saw during his three seasons with Chelsea he was a very important player.

My notes indicate that Matic made the PFA XI in 14/15. If I'm wrong about that, I stand corrected.

No, he wasn't more important than Hazard and he wasn't the legend that Terry and Lampard are, but he nevertheless massive for Chelsea during those three seasons. But don't take my word for it. Let's consider the view of neutrals and club supporters after the 14/15 season ended:

Nemanja Matic
    Such an important addition last season, the Serb has been outstanding this term as a defensive shield in midfield, intercepting and breaking up opposition rhythm with that rangy style of his. He was sorely missed when absent through suspension. A bargain even at £21m.

Apps 33 Goals 1 Rating 8.5/10​

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ea-premier-league-title-terry-hazard-mourinho

It's pretty hard to argue with this assessment.

The view on Matic from The Shed End is a bit more complicated to capture in a single post. Some regretted selling him. Others were happy to sell him, but upset that the club sold him to United -- which is kind of odd, if you think about it for two seconds. But I trust you will agree with me, and the consensus view on The Shed End, that selling Matic only to bring in Drinkwater at about the same price was madness. Don't get me wrong...once Chelsea brought in Drinkwater forum posters got behind him, but there's no doubt that the news of the signing didn't light up Nation Chelsea.

As for Matic, perform a google search and you'll see that observers of the game almost unanimously agree that Chelsea made a mistake in selling Matic. Let me give you one example, the observations of Ray Wilkins:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ja-Matic-transfer-Premier-League-Old-Trafford

“But Matic, Mourinho could not have got a better player to sit in front of that back four.”​

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that Matic is the new Keane or even Vieira. But the role that he plays, even though it's a modest role in one sense, is nevertheless a vital role and he's done it brilliantly for at least the 3+ years I've been watching him with Chelsea and now with United -- and going back over my notes again it looks like Chelsea won 2 of the last 3 EPL trophies with Matic being a regular starter and having a massive influence within the squad. I'm obviously watching him more closely now than before, but I haven't heard anyone observe that Matic has taken his game to a new level. He's simply doing what he's done since he's been in the EPL.

Abramovic's bet was that Matic, age 29, was damaged goods and that it was time to cash in on him while he still had some resale value. It's said on The Shed End (and corroborated by the British media) that Conte, who described the exit of Matic as "a great loss, a great loss for us", didn't want to sell Matic but that he was forced to. That really says it all, does it not?

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #130 Ashur, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    From an outsider's point of view, Matic's performance level in his 3 full seasons with Chelsea breaks down as followed: fantastic in 2014/15, where he was not only one of Chelsea's best players but was so in the league as a whole as well. The following season, he was mediocre, just like the team in general that year. And last season, he did not reach the heights of 14/15 but his role in the team was different under Conte and alongside Kante, he formed a pretty solid midfield partnership: nothing flashy at all between the 2 of them, but effective and all about working hard and doing the dirty work.
    As mentioned previously, the major worry, so far as I was concerned was his age: at 29, it's not like we're looking at 5 more yrs down the line with this guy (unlike Fabinho for instance). That being said, it's no surprise that Jose would want to go with the safest, more proven (at Prem level at least) option. And the familiarity between the 2 can not be overestimated.
    Conte had other ideas in mind as far as his midfield is concerned, which is perfectly understandable (Bakayoko looks to be very capable replacement after all), but Matic, at least so far, is exactly what we've needed as a replacement for Carrick of sorts. Very different obviously in the way they play, but both provide the stability that is necessary in that spot. Pogba and Fellaini as well, have both been big time beneficiaries of his presence.

Yahtzee repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Chelsea letting Matic go surprised me as well, although that decision wasn't anywhere close to the calamity of Wenger declining to bringing back Fabregas. As we all know, Fabregas was sensational for Chelsea in 14/15, and he very easily could have done for Arsenal what he did for Chelsea. And, as we all know, Arsenal stumbled badly that season and have never recovered from Wenger's stubbornness.

Letting Matic go doesn't rise quite to that level of insanity, but it's not that far either. From what I can tell, Matic was happy with Chelsea and didn't mind the more prominent role Kante assumed. Trophies were being collected for fun and Chelsea looked, at the beginning of the 17/18 season, like a decent bet to go deep into the Champions League.

Instead, it's United now who look a pretty good bet to go deep in the CL and of course are in a comfortable position in the EPL while the club awaits the return of their two best players, Pogba and Ibra.

Massive egg-on-Conte's-face should United lift the EPL and be the English club in the CL semifinals.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What is the point of this media campaign?

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Seems strange. I could only guess Jose is trying to defend Matic who started well but has been poor lately.

11. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No surprise to me that Matic (plus others) looking poorer lately - he looks much better alongside Pogba.

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy cut a very lonely figure in our midfield vs Chelsea with no help to handle Cesc (on top of being hounded by Kante and Bakayoko) yet he still tried at the very least.
    There is no doubt that he's another victim of Pogba not being around: Herrera has completely failed to step up as he was expected to and he has to do things he's not comfortable with as a result.

14. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not something I say with joy either, given how he's performed last season (and how much I like him overall).
    The concerns raised by a few may have some merit. Or perhaps, he's just going thru a bad patch of form. It is possible after all (as ill timed as it may be).
    Regardless, it's interesting to say the least to see some pile on the likes of Matic (who has been solid for us so far this season) or Fellaini (before he got hurt and in the midst of his best form perhaps at the club), when Herrera has been extremely poor, when he was needed the most.
    Can anyone actually name a game this season where Herrera stood out with a great performance?

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scholesie couldn't tackle without getting booked, Herrara is the same without the same production going forward. At least Fellaini has the physique to deal with the ruff and tumble of the Premiership, and can then be an option for Route 1 emergency football and set pieces. Herrara brings none of that...

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a fan of what Herrera provided in the Kante role last season. His ability may be limited, but he's got heart and he can go all day.
    Not strong enough to make a great 6, not good enough going forward at the 8/B2B role. And that's why it appears he's suited as part of a mid 3, alongside Matic and Pogba/Fellaini. Or simply as a backup for either in a mid 2.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    As far as Matic goes, its highly frustrating watching him on the ball. No vision and very slow on the ball.

Maybe im spoiled by Carrick for all these years. Having a real footballer at 6 then. Now were stuck with a lanky goon who needs Pogba to hold his hand.

19. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's all SAF's fault. We were all spoiled pretty bad by him ;)

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point of fact, he is completely different from Carrick. You obviously prefer the regista types (like Redondo, Pirlo, Alonso, Busquets etc...) at that position and that's fair enough, when it's all said and done.
    But if one is being honest with Matic's play so far, he's getting a passing grade as he's done the job he was brought at the club for. He's a different type of 6, a genuine DCM, as opposed to a regista/DLP), but he's still effective...

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Nah, I do like regista's but thats not my problem with Matic. He doesnt have to be Xabi Alonso to play with less touches in the midfield. He regularly takes 3/4 or more touches unnecessarily.

He also doesnt have to be Busquets to pick his head of and move the ball on quicker.

22. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i don't think that's fair as he's being forced to be the anchor, ball winner AND playmaker next to herrera who's busy being 'tidy', i guess.

matic is someone with a very good positioning sense who offers ball retention (surprising ability to 'escape dribble') and clean, positive, purposeful first balls to playmakers and attackers.

he's being forced to carry the ball forward and step outside of his game because herrera is doing his chicken shit thing, i.e. square balls to the full backs before running/hiding into the wilderness.

23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's not surprising how spoiled we are, myself included. We were in the hunt for the EPL trophy for virtually every single one of Ferguson's 26 years at OT and had players like Keane and Scholes, possibly the two greatest midfielders ever to play in first division English football.

There's no question that Matic is no Keane and never will be. But he's been our best player, our most consistent player at least (always assume I mean apart from De Gea) this season. Next runners up are Valencia and Young, which should tell you everything you need to know about the inconsistency of form around Matic.

Lukaku and Miki started brilliantly, but have faded badly over the last month. Pogba started very well, but he's been our for a while. Bailly and Jones have generally been very good, but have had a few shockers (Jones v Morata...ooops!). Herrera has been disappointing, though not shocking. Martial and Rashford have had their moments, but too little end product has come from them although it wouldn't be fair to judge them to the same standard as Lukaku and Miki, who have far more experience and are in their primes.

Matic has been the oil that has kept the engine running this season, where we find ourselves in second place despite playing rather unattractive football. No doubt he doesn't have the passing range of Scholes or Carrick or the toughness of Keane, but he's been criminally underrated here both before he was brought in and again now.

There is a problem underneath the surface and that's that Mourinho has overplayed Lukaku and Matic so far this season. I can understand why he's done it, but we've paid a price for running both into the ground. Lukaku is missing big chances (4 during his current barren run) and Matic is expected to cover more ground than he's able to. Both need a break, and the international break comes just in time for both of them but especially for Lukaku, who was in horror form against Chelsea. Matic was solid but not spectacular...but if we need spectacular performances from him we're in serious trouble.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Matic was paired with Pogs earlier in the season, he was excellent himself in the role required of him (shielding the back and being the link between the defense and our attack). Plus he offered Pogba the platform to be much more involved in the creative side of his game. He even managed to strike a decent partnership with Fellaini and he still performed very well then.
    Herrera was supposed to take over that role (after they both went down), something he's proved incapable of doing so far (at least in a midfield 2). And therefore it has forced Matic to expand the scope of his own game, which is simply not him. So yes, his performance level might have dropped from what it was earlier in the season, but the reason for it appears to be pretty clear.
    And as it showed, there are quite a few players who have been affected in one way or another by Pogs absence. Which again highlights the importance of Pogs to the team as a whole.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You guys still think Juve will want him next summer?