Not Messing About - The Brandon Williams Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Could be an important player for us and there is some fire in this kid (which like to see) which is rare these days.

2. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for passion, etc and really like this kid, but that particular incident could have ended very poorly. Don't think we'd be cheering him on if CHO had sustained a season-ending injury.

In the end, no one got hurt and I'm glad to see some fiery personalities emerge to make up for the loss of Herrera and Rafa.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams has definitely overtaken AY already at this point. It is possible that Shaw could be next much sooner than thought possible. Right now he is what Shaw was when he first got to the club.
    Shaw being out injured should (and likely will) get a fair chance to defend his spot when he returns. And Williams could be the real kick in the ass he's needed.
    Either way, Williams deserve a run in the team until Shaw comes back and in the end, it could be a good situation at least in the short term, as far as adding quality in depth in a position that had question marks going into the season.

4. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Kid should get run of games, Time for ole to walk the walk...

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been pretty out of the loop with the academy bar the obvious prospects. Was Williams a known quantity prior to this season? Is his rapid rise unsurprising for those in the know?

6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He was very much on the radar, post #666 from the summer transfer thread back in April;

“Would also add Brandon Williams to the list for next season first team squad potential. Very highly rated 18 year old from the academy who could ultimately give Shaw a run for his money at LB and I believe can play other side too.”

Talent is one thing but attitude means a lot too, it is no coincidence that players like Gaz Nev and Evra had a bit of bite. Back when I used to watch MUtv, a lot of ex-pros singled him out, Mou rated BW too. Was made captain at youth because he takes responsibility. Bit of a rep for red cards.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-news-brandon-williams-17178705

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...-to-know-about-man-utd-hope-brandon-williams/

Futbol_Head and Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams plays like a South American player - Romero

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...s/man-united-brandon-williams-latest-17225584

His grit is definitely a big asset of his, on top his athleticism and stamina. As previously stated, still believe that Shaw, by virtue of being out injured, should get a genuine chance at getting his place back on his return.
    However, the leash should be much shorter than before with Williams waiting in the wings (particularly if he can keep up with what we've seen from him so far).

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    AY and Williams will share the workload but you can see that against non top 6 oppo, Williams should be leading until Shaw is back then he spells Shaw.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the intl break coming up, Shaw should be close to returning, if the previous projections are true. He might even be ready for Sheffield by the looks of it (if he's not ready, Williams can start for that game). As mentioned elsewhere, the way forward should be Shaw and Williams handling the left, with Wan-Bissaka and AY the rotation at RB.
    Once Dalot returns, hopefully he can become Wan-Bissaka's backup and AY can be used in case he's needed until he sees out the season, by which time his contract will be expired and we can just let him go then.

10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1193878149928488960 is not a valid tweet id

11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Still very early days but he is and should be ahead of Young.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's understandable to be worried about Ole giving AY mins/games ahead of Williams but the difference with other youngsters this season, is that Williams has really distinguished himself everytime he was called upon.
    He did so well over the weekend that he earned himself the MotM award: surely that can't go unnoticed to Ole. None of Chong, Gomes, Garner and even Greenwood have consistently been that good in their appearances.
    Also, Ole has dropped some players who were higher in the pecking order (like Matic and Mata) when they were clearly better options available. Therefore, I think that the LB spot will be between Shaw and Williams, as long as the latter maintains the same level of performance he's shown so far. Shaw, as previously stated, will still be first choice upon his return for the foreseeable future by virtue of being the senior option. Suspect also that Ole will not want to 'lose' him right away or hurt his confidence either and he'll remain the first option as long as he can put him good displays.
    If he comes back slow off the blocks or is just plain mediocre, then that could open the door for Williams to figure more (and perhaps for the club to cash in him in the summer). But I feel confident in Williams having overtaken AY on the left, particularly since a backup to Wan-Bissaka is required, as long as Dalot is out. And it probably would be too much to wish for Laird to promoted full time to the senior team as of yet.
    Pretty amazing though how quickly things change in just a few months, with FB being a position of weakness for us to what it is now.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Kid looks good. Solid head on his shoulders and doesn't seem bothered by the occasion. He's good in both directions and athletic. Very few complaints thus far.

I'm not sure why Ole is getting stick for kids. He's played McTominay over Matic, he's played Greenwood and AP over Mata. He's moved Lukaku on in order to focus on Martial at CF and Rashford at LW specifically identifying Greenwood as our back up striker. He moved Smalling on and identified and played Tuanzebe as our 3rd or 4th CB.

He's given PLENTY of chances to youth.

Deadtigers and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  14. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    More Gomes.

15. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    injured at the moment and rumoured to be "overlooked" because he won't sign a new deal. if you believe the shitty tabloids

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup, so the beef is with a player who plays #10, a spot where we've given the majority of the minutes to an academy graduate. I like Gomes as much as the next guy and I do want him to get time, but I'm not sure he can play in this league he's tiny. He needs to get more minutes though, I agree. But I think that's a minor complaint. Ole has done wonders with giving kids a chance.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice to have a player (defender especially) with some bite/attitude and can absolutely see what Romero was referring to with his comments about him. Williams has got some dog in him and I love it!

18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I think there's a lot of impatience about the youngsters thing but there's a clear if gradual approach towards integrating most or all of these youth players by the end of the season. We can't just lump these players in and demand that they sink or swim, that can be psychologically very damaging. Look how crippled a lot of senior players are by lack of confidence, and how different they look when we start playing well or score a couple of early goals - how are we expecting kids to deal with putting in a bad performance or two and the crowd getting anxious?

We're on course for Tuanzebe, Williams, Garner, Greenwood, Laird and hopefully Gomes to be established and trusted first team squad players by the end of the season.

19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The boy has performed brilliantly, he has a good head about him and his future looks bright.

20. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Nice to have something to be excited about.

21. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kid looks golden but it’s gonna take some time because of AY’s “leadership.” We have a direction, though, guys. Fans need to be patient.

#olesatthewheel

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that the vast majority of United fans probably see the same way...

https://www.strawpoll.me/18934644/r

Seniority is what will probably give the edge to Shaw when he returns, but he's going to have to step it up even more.

23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I deleted the 1st part of your post because i dont know what you're talking about.

The size argument against Gomes is irritating.

Mata IS too small and too slow. Silva was too small and too slow. I realize Gomes is a little smaller than they were, but it doesnt really matter to me.

Just as easily as those two could be pushed around, he could be too. If he is good enough it wont matter.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was saying if the biggest knock against Ole playing kids is at a position where the minutes mostly go to an academy graduate then the point is moot in my opinion.

There's a big difference between players of the ilk of Mata and Silva when they came to the prem vs a kid from the academy.

I absolutely want him to get a shot and get some playing time, but I understand the hesitation. He's probably at least part to blame by playing hardcore with signing an extension.

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i thought he was poor today but all disappointment aside can we talk about how good that finish was?

i'm not sure if he is another one of those modern day fullbacks converted from a winger or forward but that was a finish any marksman would be proud of. used the defender as a line of sight blocker and belted it one time right into the corner. fantastic

johno and jnielsen repped this.