Norway's Queen of Goal to retire.

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Bauser, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Marianne Pettersen - World Cup Final matchwinner, Olympic and European Champion - has decided to quit soccer at the young age of 27. She retired from the national team at 25 having scored 62 goals in 91 games for Norway and has now decided to quit the game at clublevel too. It's a massive blow for women's soccer in Norway. She used 'lack of motivation' and 'I want to study' as reasons to her decision. Having watched her in action for Asker last weekend where she virtually demolished the league champions from last season - a team with several Olympic champions (Trondheims/Ørn) almost singlehandedly, it's sad that she finds no motivation to continue.

Here is an translated article from Toppserien.com on that game:

--------------------------------------------------

SHOT ØRN (THE EAGLE) - HANGS UP RIFLE

by Peter Tubaas

Marianne Pettersen made the Ørn-players look like schoolgirls during the top-of-the table clash at Lerkendal Stadium on Saturday.

- Trondheims/Ørn surprised me. I thought they were better than this, said three-goal scorer Marianne Pettersen after the 5-0 demolishion of the champions in Trondheim.

She scored the first goal right before half time, when goalkeeper Ingrid Hjelmseth injured herself and the defenders tried to cover up. The other two goals were sheer quality where she used her speed, skill and strength to leave Ørn-defenders behind before finsihing off with aplomb.

- This has been a lucky stadium for me. I've played her against Germany and Trondheims/Ørn earlier and won every time, says a smiling Pettersen after the game on Rosenborg's (Norwegian men's team) revamped stadium.

Marianne Pettersen is now only one goal behind Christine Bøe Jensen on the league's topscorer list. She has scored 17 goals since her come-back last May. But after further two games, it's all over.

- I have made up my mind. I'm retiring after this season, she says convincingly.

Coach Eli Landsem still hasn't given up on keeping her also after this season. Pettersen however, doesn't think she needs someone to talk her out of retirement.

- Eli has told me I can come back if I change my mind. That's how it is.

But will you change your mind?

- No, I don't think so.

2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Marianne Pettersen was on "20 Questions" at Toppserien.com in late August:

Best teammate in Toppserien (Norwegian league)?
    - Christin Lilja. My partner up front in Athene Moss.

Most difficult opponent in Toppserien?
    - There are many who are tough to play against, but I can't mention names because they will get cocky then. *followed by a laugh*

Any special player you would have liked to have on your team?
    - Yes, I would have loved to have Solveig Gulbrandsen on my team.

Who do you think deserves a chance to play for the national team?
    - Ingvild Stensland deserves a shot, I think.

Who do you expect to attend the games you are playing?
    - My parents.

Which soccerplayers have you had as idols?
    - It used to be Marco van Basten, but now it's Batistuta.

Which persons have been most important for your career?
    - Eli Landsem (Asker coach).

Your favourite team is?
    - It's Arsenal.

What do you like to do when you're not playing soccer?
    - I like to go to the movies with friends.

Your last watched movie was..?
    - It was Bad Company.

The last book you read was..?
    - Hmm, which one was it..? I never finish them. Ah yeah, it was "How to be good" by Nick Hornby.

Favourite food?
    - It varies from time to time. I love pasta these days so I have to answer that.

Favourite drink?
    Not very original, but it's Coca-Cola.

Favourite music?
    - Destiny's Child.

Favourite TV-show?
    - Friends.

What's in your purse/pockets right now?
    - I have a stick of lip salve. I don't have a purse, I prefer a plastic bag. *followed by a laugh*

Three positive sides of yours?
    - Yes, umm..what's that? I'm optimistic, purposeful and cheerful.

Three bad sides of yours?
    - I'm impatient, quick-tempered and I hate to lose.

Which websites do you go to frequently?
    - Not Toppserien.com for sure. *laugh* Of course I visit you lot. Apart from that I'm also checking out the website of Oslo University. There is always something to check regarding my studies, but I'm not really much on the internet.

A final note?
    - I want to say hi to everyone at Asker and also to everyone I know.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Can it be remotely possible that her "lack of motivation" is due to the womens league in England to be lacking in top flight competition up and down the league table?

4. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Re: Re: Norway's Queen of Goal to retire.

I doubt it. I mean, she had all the top flight competition she wanted on the nat team and she retired from that as well.

It looks like she's just bored and wants to pursue other things.

5. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    For Norway's sake, I hope that they have been preparing for the future better than China has because China looks awful with the great players of the 90s retired, injured, or just plain old.

6. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    There are young ones coming through the ranks, but Pettersen is only 27 and should be entering her best years as player by now. Instead she chooses to hang up her boots. China does have a slightly larger pool of players to pick a national team from than Norway ;)

7. Dianawnt8

Dianawnt8 New Member

Jan 4, 2000
    Well that sucks. And i was hoping she come play for the Power after the other Norwegians left. anyone know why she didn't play in the WUSA?

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

But I believe she chose to hang out in England and play for Fulham LFC because she was going to school there. She wanted to stay in Europe. Right? Oh hell I've got the print article somewhere around here......

9. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    FearM9, That's what I heard too.

10. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    i don't know if this answers this question, but on this women-in-sports-30-minute show called "Sports Women" (think like gillete sports world), they talked about the Fulham club, and interviewed marianne in great length.

she talked about why she chose fulham, and she didn't mention school, but said that she was asked to play in the wusa, and after talking to some other players, she decieded not to go b/c the "situation" there was not to her liking nor did she think she would be treated as well as she would be in fulham (something to that sort...)

i'm sure you can find that article fear! lol :D

elaine

11. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    IOW - The league is all about 20 players and everyone else is treated like dirt. Sounds about right :mad:

12. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I think she hints at the treatment Bente Nordby got at her WUSA club when suddenly traded without someone asking her. No other soccer league does that. That system is non-typical for soccer. I would have thought twice about going over as well. It's especially rude towards foreigners newly settled in at the original place only to be thrown across the country to a new club without being able to contribute in the decision. Amateurish.

13. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Marianne Pettersen makes U-turn!

Translated article: "Comeback på landslaget" from http://www.toppserien.com/

COMEBACK ON THE NATIONAL TEAM

by Peter Tubaas

Åge Steen was surprised when Marianne Pettersen without warning called him and made herself available for Team Norway again.

It was NRK (Norway's main broadcasting channel) who broke the news about the return of the super-striker. Marianne Pettersen announced her retirement from the game last year, but has now changed her mind and is ready for Norway and her club Asker again. She has not played for Norway since the Olympic Final in 2000.

- I did not receive any signals about this, so I was a bit surprised. I'm of course very happy, said a smiling NT coach Åge Steen.

Marianne Pettersen has scored 62 goals in 91 appearances for Norway. Last season she became topscorer in the league having made her first appearance in the third week of the season. Club coach Eli Landsem is also pleased.

- This is first and foremost a happy day for Norwegian soccer. She will be important for Asker, but even more so for the national team in China, said Landsem.

Toppserien.com has so far not been able to contact Pettersen for a comment.

14. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    Norway's Queen of Goal is back!

Dagni Melgren is already a threat and now here's comes Norway's queen of goals? I guess this U turn has something to do with US domination of Norway lately.

Keep an eye on that duo!