Nobody wants the GM Job

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by a_new_fan, Mar 13, 2018.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I don't know if anyone else was watching the euro matches this afternoon but Grant Wahl said US soccer is having trouble finding candidates for the GM job because of the way its structured.

Basically the assumption is the GM job would be over all of the men's program including youth set up.

Truth though is that its just over the national team and Tab 'I don't have a clue' Ramos is still in charge of the entire youth set up.

The GM job was a great idea but the way it is set up is just entirely bs, it should be over the entire set up and they really need to fix this.

Tab Ramos needs to exit the setup entirely and get a club job and prove he can handle a job on his own. The idea of a guy like him may get the usmnt job just scares me so much.

TOAzer repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's not a real TD position.

Club GM's are used to having much more control than this position would allow.

I think not getting to the WC is going to lead to a lot organizational growing pains that were combed over by making the WC.

I also think USSF are going to have trouble finding a coach (American or European) for the men's team.

Marko72 repped this.
  3. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprising that very few people are jumping at the chance to be a scapegoat. A true TD setup would have been grand. Just pluck someone from the best academies in the world(juniors would be nice since they have a proven track record finding gems in rough spots), give them power to make some improvements and step back.

But instead it's a figurehead job. With the only real power being having a voice in calling in players and input into coaching searches. The only people who will want this will be doing it for a paycheck with very few opportunities elsewhere.

G-boot, Marko72, jjmack and 1 other person repped this.
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll do it.

Californian81, ttrevett and TOAzer repped this.
  5. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s easy to interpret this position as a insulating layer between the public and the president/CEO/board. I’m sure missing the World Cup wasn’t pleasant and they don’t want any continued public oversight.

Marko72 repped this.
  6. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure USSF isn't the US Government's kindred spirit, then? [/sarcasm]

TOAzer repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Marko72 and Alexisonfire repped this.
  9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that might be a sticking point. He'll likely have a greater impact on player development staying with the Philly Union then taking the US GM job, sadly.

10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 Master O, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    USSF, doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over again, despite their leading to failure...

Is there any way to fire these people? They are totally incompetent!

SCSAutism repped this.
  11. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think most people would be happy with Earnie and he bridges the gap between the domestic crowd and the euro crowd. I don't know enough about Curtis to have much of an opinion there other than he seems to lack the international perspective Stewart brings.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    totally agree but I think he needs full control

youth and full mens team

having tab ramos who was involved with dropping guys like mckennie and jonathan gonzales from youth teams scares me. I mean he dropped gonzales and then complained he didn't have a natural 6 on his roster lol.

adam tash repped this.
  13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all who are in favor of hiring Stewart are unfortunately misinformed. While it is true that the Union don't have tons of money to spend, Earnie has made a lot of mistakes with his signings and wasted the money he has had available. Furthermore, he has refused to fire his coach, Jim Curtin, who is in over his head. This indicates that he is not a good judge of coaching talent, or he took a position in which he doesn't have the control necessary to do his job.

Based on his Dutch record I used to think very highly of him. But his Union experience has shown he is either unable to solve player selection problems or doesn't recognize them. Hardly the person we would want in charge of the USMNT.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be noted that Stewart has never fired a manager before. He's only replaced managers after their contracts run out.....

15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    mls is a very different set of rules then he had at AZ and a very different set of rules he'd be using with the usmnt.

people are always in a hurry to fire a coach...until they then realize there aren't really great options. I mean could he fire him and get a porter...that would be an upgrade...but porter basically just got fired so is hiring the guy who just got fired in the same league sounds like one of those premier league moves where guys like big sam are non-stop being fired..and hired but there isnt any real improvement.

16. Big Sam's bank account improves:D

jaykoz3 and a_new_fan repped this.
  17. I somewhere in a US thread wrote down what the role of a TD is in clubs and in the Dutch FA.
    From your comments I get the impression you want a club style TD, while that isnot what a FA TD is about.

18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately the USSF has giving the development side over to Tab Ramos. The GM role is simply to hire and fire the coach of the National Team. The position does not have a lot of influence on the youth development side of things. Tab Ramos reports to the CEO of US Soccer, and not the GM for the National Team.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
  21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2018's version of chief scout.

22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    probably a new spot for carlos after his political play to the be gm was blown up.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Let's think in terms of an old fashioned corporation that makes widgets.

General Manager is called General because he deals with all matters as opposed to an operations manager who keeps the process of physical production of widgets humming. The General Manager makes sure the Accounting department has its papers in order, if the union boss calls the GM deals with him, he makes sure the plant and equipment is up to date vis a vis the competition, he deals with governmental regulations, etc, etc.

The TD as I would like to define it would correspond to an engineering department in the widget company. Basically it deals with how the widgets could be better fashioned - whether it's the U17 widgets or the U 20's or any other widget. They sample and monitor plant, equipment and labor performance and issue reports comparing tech specs of competition with the widgets the company produces, etc. etc. The most important function is likely the issuance of reports recommending how the company could get a competitive edge over the competition thru technical improvements.

For me the difference with USSF is that I think the TD should be staff which reports to President instead of GM because it needs to have the independence required to critique the performance of the various teams. Producing widgets with reports due on Wall Street 4 times a year is one thing; producing a result in the World Cup every 4 years is quite another.

juveeer repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe an easier analogy would be with US Govt:

POTUS - Cordeiro

White House Chief of Staff - General Manager

Sec of State - USMNT Manager

National Security Adviser - Technical Director.

Henry Kissinger was Nixon's Natl Sec Adviser before becoming Sec of State.

I think Rice was Bush's Natl Sec Adviser before becoming Sec of State.

I could see the TD becoming USMNT Manager with USSF.