no mamen...un clasico?????

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Deleted USer, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Read this...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/soc/1810755

HAHAHHA where does he get off saying its a clasico...

I was talking to VS a while back and we were just discussinf some things.

I think most Yanks get confused with the spanish term "rival" and "rivalidad" which they tend to hear in our networks and broadcast. In English, rival/rivalry is a little stonger word than opponant or opposition. In Spanish, rival is a common word. IT does not emphasize or exclude one opponant from the rest.

For example...

el proximo rival del america sera contra los Tigres de Monterrey

translation..

America's next opponant will be against the Monterrey Tigers

In MExico, there is only one true Clasico..AMERICA CHIVAS and its known as the SuperClasico. There are other games that are heated "rivalries" but not a clasico. A Clasico is a game that the whole country is aware of and that it doesnt matter if you are a fans of those 2 teams, but you will watch it even if your team is playing at the same time. A clasico is a game that you anticipate for weeks and mark down every possible escape route in hopes to avoid some freinds that happen to be on the dark side. A clasico is a game that makes you avoid regular hangouts because some of your friends are fans of the darkside. Thats a clasico On the same token...you also try and track down all your firends that belong to the dark side because you want to rub it in thier face

As a Mexican, we dont have a "clasico" at the national team level. Sure we have some heated games, but nothing that compared to a clasico. Most of those heated games come against latin countries for various reasons (political, racial, economical, historical)

2. USFootie

USFootie New Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Orange County ,CA
    i would think that being eliminated from the World Cup by the U.S. would make it more of a clasico. We're the two big dogs on the block... we gotta rumble. If mexican fans dont really care about the game, thats fine with me... i still get a kick out of playing and beating Mexico.

--------
    USA 2
    MEX 0

WORLD CUP 2002

3. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    Ramon Morales said that when USA-Mexico it's a clasico like a Chivas-America game. I imagine he knows what he is talking about.

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I have hear numerous reports and interviews by Ramoncito and he had never said that. HE always said the same thing... they are a team that cant beat you but bla bla bla bla... the things you would expect to hear....

But when he told that to the Republica Deportiva... dont you think it was odd how they kind of held his hand and kind of forced him to say it... as in they (Fernando Fiorre and Co.) would ask him certain questions where he would have to say it.....

Show me one report where he has said it on Televisa or TV Azteca or any Mexican news outlet. The mexican players, coaches, executives that visit the US and do reports to the US Spanish netwroks tend to give different types of interviews to Univision, Telemundo, Telefutura, Radio Unica, etc, etc, etc. You cant be as frank on Republica Deportiva or Titulares Telemundo because you are bound to p1ss off Mexicans or Central Americans or South Americans or Pochos, etc etc.. and you know that is not good for business

Cold War...etc etc.... thats by the US spanish networks... trying to hype it up.... and not to the mexican community... but to the other communitys..

Most mexicans only have to hear "Mexico v. X team: May X" and they are there" we dont need fancy schamncy logans

WHat i find odd about the US spanish networks is that they are too politically correct...hermanos and crap like that... thats a crock

5. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    But he did say it, I heard with my own ears ;)

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I agree it should not be called a classico.

It's hard to consider it a huge rivalry when one side dominates all the time.

7. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    hello... did you not read my reponse... i know he said it...

But for the same reason certain Mexican players coaches tells the Mexican press that Central Americans play with square soccerballs...they are the same ones that come to the US spanish networks and give different type of interviews...

8. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    So what you are saying is that he lied?

9. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    whether the americans soccer fans want to admit it or not.... its not a CLASICO. half the US population dont even know about it. Some friends of mine thought that the US win over Mexico in Korea was the US' first win over Mexico. Then when i told him that Mexico had the advantge of 30 plus victories and only 10 defeats with most of the US victories coming the last 2-3 years in friendlies... my friend said..."thats very uneven rivalry". For a a couple guys that dont even know anything about soccer....they even realized its not a rivalry.... its amazing what the power of television and a reporter can do to shape your mind

US soccer fans are passionate and eager... but its that eagerness that blinds them... not the passion which surprises me. US soccer fans want to have a SUPER CLASICO in the MLS ASAP. They want a Clasico with Mexico NOW! They want international respect NOW!

Al I have to say... it takes time and consistancy.

10. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    You know what i find funny....

when i read articles from certain players from around the world... and they feelings towards our area that at times ban be unpleasant to read... but when they do interviews here....they say something else as if they want to please the viewers..

11. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    So RDL###, is this the point of your post?

gringo: We own Mexico. Mexico is our bitch. I can't wait until May 8 when we beat their asses again.

mexicano: You eliminated us from the world cup and have beaten us almost every time this century, but I don't care, at least it's not a classico.

:rolleyes:

12. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    RDL will probably disagree with me here, but in time it will develop into a Clasico. The US has gotten better and this will only help Mexico improve.

In Spain, before World Cup '98 Don Balon published a special issue on the World Cup and Mexico's headline was "Dispuesto a derrumbar mitos."

loosely translated, "resolved to break down the myth"
    The myth, according to the magazine, was that Mexico easily waltzed in to the World Cup without breaking a sweat in the qualifiers. This lack of competition would not prepare the Mexicans against the stronger European and South American sides.

It will develop into a Clasico but right now, you just can't compare the two teams and especially footballing history of the two countries. The writer, for now, is mistaken.

13. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    That is just plain sick.

14. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    RDL will probably disagree with me here, but in time it will develop into a Clasico. The US has gotten better and this will only help Mexico improve.

AEG picking up the bill... you damn right it will turn into one or they will die trying. Telemundo or who ever gets the next rights to the Mexican National team will do thier damndest to make it into one

But people are not that stupid. They may be suckered the first time, but will eventually catch on.

Sorry, you just dont start off new and forget history as if nothing has ever happened before

Sorry, you dont play your archrival 3-4 times a year.

Sorry, you dont play your archrival with your reserves.

Sorry, you dont let your archrival set up the table for you and let them pick up the bill.

Sorry, you dont play your archrival 3-4 times a year just to make money....you play them for pride

In Spain, before World Cup '98 Don Balon published a special issue on the World Cup and Mexico's headline was "Dispuesto a derrumbar mitos.

loosely translated, "resolved to break down the myth"
    The myth, according to the magazine, was that Mexico easily waltzed in to the World Cup without breaking a sweat in the qualifiers. This lack of competition would not prepare the Mexicans against the stronger European and South American sides.

so what else is new? those reports are all over even in MExico.

I dont think the the FMF should develp a psuedo rivalry so that people can say, "YEAH... mexico is not getting a free ticket anymore"

It will develop into a Clasico but right now, you just can't compare the two teams and especially footballing history of the two countries. The writer, for now, is mistaken.

Its a paper rivalry, nothing more nothing less.

certain fan sectors criticize the TV networks for stating that America-PUMAS-Cruz Azul games against each other are nothing but TV rivalries. THose are hard fought matches. These kids play against each others snce they are 13 years of age and into the 1st division. Thats is 30-40 years in the making...some say that one day it will surpass the america chivas game... who knows... only time will tell considering if each clubs stays financially stable and progress

15. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

its not a clasico because there is not enough history.. is that too hard to understand without getting emotionally involved

16. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Re: Re: no mamen...un clasico?????

it happens...

17. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    I agree with you here.....that's why I think that in time it will be a rivalry. Only because I don't see Mexico - Guatemala or US - Canada turning into a rivalry. More importantly.......$ will be involved.

18. punk_in_drublic

punk_in_drublic New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    jaja no exageres we, si el necaxa esta jugando al mismo tiempo k el america vs chivas a webo k voy a ver el del necaxa. El "clasico" ya no es lo mismo k antes.

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Rdl., Carnal dont waste your time with the Classico or Rivalry debate. I have told the Yanks time and time again the diffrence and they dont want to hear about it. At first i wondered why do they hate el Tri ? What reason do they have to despise los TriColores ? One yank told me because they were tired of losing to Mexico (This was before Meza) But now they can say they are the better team and yet they still have that Hate ! I wondered again why, and then it dawned upon me. They dont hate el Tri they hate the Mexico fans. Especially because we are the biggest futbol fanbase in the U.S..

Did you see their reactions because Man U will play Club America and not the Metros ?! I dont think they even made a fuss when Roma played Real Madrid. The U.S beat Mexico in the World Cup, they beat them in Columbus in L.A and they still can not get more fans and their two top sponsers keep throwing more money at the Mexican National team, this must really eat them up. You will allways hear yanks saying how Mexico fans will jump ship once we see how much better thy are ect But it is not happening. Now i want to ask the Yanks, what reasons should Mexico fans have to consider the USMNT their Rivals or a Classico and please do go back at least 20 years since Classicos and Rivalries go way back when !?!?

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes VS it's all about you.

Who the heck cares, it's all a mind thing anyway. In the Yank fan's mind and, most importantly, the Yank player's mind it's a clasico. For the little green men it's just any other local rivalry. Remember the interviews during the WC? This is our big edge and why we will beat you for the next ten years. By then you'll have it figured out since the stats will be about equivalent. By then, it will also be too late and the US will have grown way beyond your reach. So it still won't be a clasico. See? You're right!

21. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: No mamen...un clasico?????

Originally posted by deejay

Yes VS it's all about you.

[​IMG]

Who the heck cares, it's all a mind thing anyway. In the Yank fan's mind and, most importantly, the Yank player's mind it's a clasico.

I just want to know how this Classico started ??? Do you expect me to take the game seriously just because its in the "Yank fan's mind" or because Telemundo uses "Cold War" slogans to hype the game up for non Mexicans who will miss Pedro el Escamoso.

For the little green men it's just any other local rivalry. Remember the interviews during the WC?

Yeah, the Mexican players were disapointed because they wanted to play against Portugal..

This is our big edge and why we will beat you for the next ten years.

Blah,dont be sure on yourself. If Mexico doesnt want to lose to the U.S all they need to do is bunker down and we will get boring 0-0 games., That and stop playing all those "FRIENDLIES" (didnt know Rivals played so many FRIENDLIES) in the U.S..

BlaBlaBla YaketySmakety My panties are in A Bunch Hamanahamanahamana why are there so many Mexico fans Hamana haman Are Those Census Stats Correct Hamana Hamana Hamana Why Is That Tickets Against Argentina were Cheaper Than Tickets Against Mexico Hamana Hamana Hamana I will Pay My $150Ticket So That The U.S can Grow Big and Strong *ADU* and We Wont Need A classico AgainstThose Damn Green Mice

Fixed Your Post :)

22. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: No mamen...un clasico?????

HAHAHA

The "Clasico" started because Telemundo and Univision Inc. said so.

Cold War slogans were so cheezy. Those slogans are directed at non-Mexican Latins residing in the US...like yourself deejay. You dont need to hype it up..just tell the Mexican the date and he is there.

Telemundo and Univision Inc. also want some Central and South American money.

In fact, these networks have somewhat made non-Mexican Latins resent Mexico for various reasons.

Most of them that I have met are not even true US fans. They are die hard fans of their native land. They cheer for the US against any team the US plays except for their home land... and they are against Mexico ..doesnt matter who plays them..

23. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001

Why Is That Tickets Against Argentina were Cheaper Than Tickets Against Mexico Hamana Hamana Hamana I will Pay My $150Ticket So That The U.S can Grow Big and Strong *ADU* and We Wont Need A classico AgainstThose Damn Green Mice

LOL

Almost every thread in the US forum is about Adu these days.

I'm waiting for the "At this point in time, is Adu better than Maradona or Pele," thread. :D

24. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

lol funny shet

25. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000