No Berth For Pervious Winner??

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by RBNYSupporter4Life, Mar 3, 2011.

1. RBNYSupporter4Life

Nov 26, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but it seems that the CCL winner does NOT automatically gain a berth in the following season's tournament...any idea why? Seems they should be welcomed back to "defend their title", so to speak...perhaps it's because it's only a 24 team tournament?

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In re: why, I don't think anyone (Mexicans included) wants more than 4 Mexican teams in the CCL, and in the short term Mexican clubs would be the most likely to get the "defending champion" spot.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? It my encourage teams to throw the final :D

4. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... um... no... I do not want the "Pervious" winner in the tournament. (note the spelling in the thread title.)

...and I probably just opened a bottle that the Mod's would want to close right now (this thread, I mean)...

5. RBNYSupporter4Life

Nov 26, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There he is...I knew "that guy" would show up, all smart-assed, pointing out any mistake he could find, trying to be funny but really showing what a douchebag he is.

Spelling blunders can happen to the best of us...for me, it happens when I type fast..as in, "Go fcuk yourself, ballsack".

1 person likes this.
  6. goalcrazy

goalcrazy Red Card

Mar 7, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In reality they are not automatically given a berth because of the mere fact that entrance into the competition is based on league and region play leading up to the tournament. So the winner of last year's CCL may be at the bottom of the table in their home league this year which would not warrant them the right to participate.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit, in Mexico and Central America we could have teams wining the Apertura championship, then getting relegated to second division (after the clausura tournament) and still play the CCL.

8. haitifrancepsg

haitifrancepsg New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Torcy, Île-de-France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    For resolve this problem, CCL must move to 32 clubs with 24 clubs in phase group with the first two qualified and the best third to the knock out phase. If the current champion is not qualified for the competition he plays the preliminary round in place of a team of central america. what do you think about that?

9. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Why is there no love for central america? They have good teams.

10. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sigged.