NISA (New NASL-allied D3 league) Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by oneeyedfool, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize if pro/rel where to happen here it’d be only between MLS and the 2 USL leagues, right? Which means the team you follow will still be on the outside looking in since the Roughnecks already exist in USL.

2. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possibly some "existing clubs" are wanting to play out their existing short summer season prior to announcing a league move? Unless is a PDL team where you're moving up "within" the USL there could be some issues in announcing a league change.

3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Of course that's possible, and I'm cautiously optimistic that that is the case, but it's also all speculative.

Just like any post-mortem analysis of NISA.

I do find it a little unlikely that an announcement to go pro would need to wait until your interns left building, though.

Blando13 repped this.
  4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I'm not trying to "prove" anything besides that the absence of investors might be more related to the financial realities of division three professional soccer than whether or not the league is open or closed.
    To be clear, I am very interested in seeing USL D3 through, but it's still far from a done deal or success story at this point.

5. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you believe there is an absence of investors? I have not seen anything to substantiate this nor disprove it.

6. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    For NISA.

7. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL D3, you said you weren't seeing investors knocking down the doors for them.

8. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    So, to clarify: for NISA, we didn't see a rush. For USL D3, it still remains to be seen. To be sure, there is an expectation of kicking off with "a minimum of 8 clubs", and they're currently halfway there. That's not too far off from NISA's goal nor original commitments. Where things started to get shaky was figuring out how to grow out from there, I think.

However, it's going to take a lot more than 8 clubs (keeping in mind that they're in the far Southeast, Wisconsin, and Arizona at the moment) for this to be sustainable.

I don't think I'm being overly cynical to say "let's see them get through year one before we pop open the champagne on this", while also being hopeful about it.

2in10 repped this.
  9. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not concerned about the interns ... was more concerned with what your current league office would do to hurt your competitiveness in a season played with the dark cloud of your exit hanging over it. Not sure they could do much ... but you never tell your boss you're quitting 2 months before you quit when a 2 week notice will do.

10. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Oh, I see, ok. I wouldn't think that applies to PDL teams, since it would be more like a promotion than another job, but NPSL, sure.

11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why in my initial post I said unless it's a PDL club, they might wait until after the season.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  12. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree there are a lot of moving parts and lot of pieces left to add to the puzzle.

I'll admit to thinking they would piece together regions since the goal is to keep costs down. It certainly looks right now like that will not be the case. Plenty of time for them to complete the work before the start next year.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  13. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Why did a thread in Soccer in the USA get moved to the NASL subforum today? To keep people like myself in one convenient little box?

Geez, mods.
    You suck.

14. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, I don't know. No NISA sub-forum. Oo!, Oo! Mr. Kotter, Mr. Kotter, how about that part on being NASL aligned?

15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Listen, smartass.
    I've been on bigsoccer for 18 years and fan of soccer for a lifetime.

There was a thread more appropriately located in the Soccer in the USA subforum discussing the subject of NISA, a thread that shouldn't have been moved yesterday.
    This is what happens a clique of permanent moderators run amok on bigsoccer.

16. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Why would Pro/Rel between MLS and USL be the most likely option "if pro/rel were to happen here?" With MLS already using USL as an incubator, the only way a truly open system can come to fruition is if an honest alternative arises, much like the NPSL alternative to PDL only at higher levels.

The NASL has already demonstrated that selling new owners on the old ABA/AFL/USFL merger salespitch with a Pro/Rel twist is hazardous to your health.

Which means the closed shop system that allows domestic leagues to sell D2 or D3 or D? territorial rights needs wholesale reform.

Five years ago yesterday, my club played its very first NPSL match...

17. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like someone is in a bit of denial.

When Saturday Comes and 2in10 repped this.
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

19. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Along with his self privilege for being a long time supporter. It appears his fantasy world is collapsing around him and he can not handle it.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you combine USL III and NISA you have seven confirmed and 5 more NISA applicants and now even the confirmed NISA teams are drifting away.

Combined applicants:
    Statesboro (South Georgia Tormenta)
    Tucson
    Greensville
    Madison
    Chattanooga
    Miami United
    Connecticut
    Milwaukee
    Omaha
    St Louis
    Akron (Rubber City FC)
    Charlotte

Even if all 12 of those teams joined an independent league, how much investment is it going to take before they become stable and when can you start seeing a return? According to Rocco the Cosmos lost $18 million in a single year.

USL is an established league with 23 independently owned clubs, with a further 6 expansion clubs joining by 2021. You'd have to be mad to risk $10 millions trying to build a separate system out of sheer pride.

21. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Silva and Commiso have, but an MLS/SUM-controlled USSF forbids it.
    Typical response from an obsessed, MLS sycophant, BTW.

22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Not at all.

23. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Spoken like a true USL fanboy.

24. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Agree, overall. The main issue with people throwing out the "NISA had 7 confirmed" or whatever number, was that confirmed apparently had strings attached and not enough (if any) money actually invested. Which really meant confirmed meant little to nothing.

2in10 repped this.
  25. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Hey, maybe you guys should look in on the Canada forum and see how the CPL are trying to do it...