NGR: Big West Soccer Tournament

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by rokstedy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you need live soccer fix, the Big West Conference women's soccer final will be held at Titan Stadium. On Sunday, Nov. 8 at 1pm, Long Beach State will take on Cal State Fullerton (TITANS!) for the championship and automatic berth to the NCAA tourney.

Men's tournament begins today. The playoff format according to bigwest.org:
    FRI. NOV. 7 FIRST ROUND
    12pm (S3) UCI at Cal Poly (N2)
    7pm (N3) UC Davis at CSUN (S2)

WED. NOV. 11 SEMINFINALS
    7pm Winner of UCI/Cal Poly at (S1) CSUF
    7pm Winner of UC Davis/CSUN at (N1) UCSB

SAT. NOV. 14 FINALS
    Last two. A match-up between the Titans and Gauchos should be fun.

MPNumber9, hav77, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  2. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the men kickoff tomorrow, Saturday November 7 (today is the 6th). I'm gonna try to go to the UCI/Cal Poly game. Go Mustangs!

3. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. Thanks for the catch. Good luck to all, especially the Titans.

4. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I made to the CP/Irvine match albeit about a 1/2 hour late so of course I missed the only goal of the game. Former Galaxy academy player Justin Dhillon scored for Poly in the 5th with a header. Second half seemed like Irvine was creating all the chances, they even hit the crossbar once but we held on! On to Fullerton!

Beakmon FC repped this.
  5. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to offend anyone but aren't you all used to watching higher standard football? I just have to make do with epl, la liga, bundesliga, serie a and I've even resorted to watching ligue un.

6. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense taken, but I have been watching the Galaxy for the last couple of months so maybe I've grown accustomed to a lower standard! Why do you watch the Galaxy when you could watch any of those other leagues? Seriously though it's my Alma mater, I've been watching Cal Poly soccer since I was a kid in the late 70's so I've always supported the team. And it is the highest standard of live soccer in this area.

Beakmon FC and rokstedy repped this.
  7. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is how Eurosnobbism begins...

Enjoy the college game for what it is, instead of what it is not. Besides, attending sports live almost always trumps anything on TV.

8. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the women's championship game between CSUF and LBSU. Not the prettiest game of course since I'm used to the professional level. Both sides had some good plays but overall it seem to be long ball or giving it to the most capable player who would get swarmed. I enjoyed getting out in the sun & air, having all that anxiety from the anticipation and then watching the Lady Titans prevail 1-0 for the championship and automatic tourney berth.

In men's action, it'll be UC Davis at UCSB and CPSLO at CSUF. Both matches on Wed. at 7, which sucks cuz I have to work on Wed. night and will miss the CSUF match.

TrickHog repped this.
  9. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Go Gauchos!

10. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSUF beat Cal Poly 3-1 and UCSB beat UC Davis 1-0. UCSB will host CSUF for the championship. Should be a fun match. Too bad it's far away in Goleta.

TrickHog repped this.
  11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSUF hold on to a 1-0 win over UCSB to repeat as tournament champs and get an automatic berth to the NCAA tourney. I got to watch this via streaming and the goal was a result of a scramble in front of the goal. Titans could've doubled their later in the half and UCSB had quite few opportunities to equalize later on. Fun stuff. I love commie ball. Go Titans!

TrickHog repped this.
  12. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from vacation and logged on to see what's up? But before I go on to more important things I will address this section. 1st I want to apologize to you and the rest for my poor attempt at humor, I suppose the NCAA game has it's place and it's fans. I am not one but I support your freedom to love it and watch it live or on TV if that is what you want to do. I enjoy AYSO and CIF football but I won't follow it like I'll follow MLS or the rest of said leagues. About Eurosnobbism I don't know about that I enjoy argentine futbol de primera division, Liga de asecenso mx and various other football leagues. But my priority is, has and always will be MLS. Attending sports live is the best experience I agree with you, unless you are at a Chargers/Raiders game or apparently a Dodgers/Giants game go figure?

The Cadaver repped this.
  13. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big West bids to the NCAA tourney:

Thurs. Nov. 19 time TBA
    Santa Clara at CSUF
    Cal Poly at UCLA

Sun. Nov. 22 time TBA
    South Carolina/Furman winner at #15 UCSB

14. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Congrats to your Titans on winning the title. I'm quite surprised to see my Gauchos getting a seed and a first round bye. I guess they had a pretty strong RPI.

15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCSB's overall record was 13-6-2 with a 7-2-1 conference record with a notable 4-2 win at UCLA so it must've been their RPI, which was high enough to let them have 1st round bye.

I did not know this but a ex-Galaxy coach that rhymes with Bleve Blampson coaches Cal Poly. Their overall record was 11-4-5 with a 5-1-4 record so I guess their RPI was strong enough to make the field.

Best of luck to all the BW schools.

TrickHog repped this.
  16. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cal Poly beat UCSB in SLO, then tied the Gauchos in Isla Vista.

rokstedy repped this.
  17. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to bigwest.org the CSUF and Cal Poly games will be at 7pm and UCSB will be at 6pm.

18. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cal Poly lost 2-0 to UCLA. CSUF lost 3-0 to Santa Clara, which I unfortunately witnessed, but hey, it's live commie ball and I need my fix. I was impressed with some of the Titans' skills of touch and dribbling, composure against tight marking, and vision for making runs and passing.

Good luck UCSB, you're the BWC's last hope.

19. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about the obnoxiously large Twitter post above. I did it from my phone and had no idea it would look like that.

NCAA Tournament Second Round
    #15 UCSB @ #2 Clemson
    Sunday, November 29, 2015 @ 3 p.m. (Pacific)

TrickHog repped this.
  21. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  22. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, time for basketball season.

23. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you're a Clippers fan, so it's a good season for you....but did you know it is a good season for Lakers fans too? I eagerly check the scores to make sure they are losing. And every game that goes by is one game closer to Kobe calling it quits. I was so mad when they beat the Nets. But I guess you can't lose 'em all.

24. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clips off to a slow start and my fear is that they might be overrated? But then I saw them this past Sunday and I like what I saw so maybe not? I honestly haven't been paying much attention to the NBA ever since the Galaxy got knocked out. Something about my favorite teams losing like that leaves me cold and bitter to sports for a time period. Gawd, when the Clips choked to the Rockets in the playoffs earlier this year, I couldn't read anything sports related and if I did, it was with intensity.

I take it you don't like the Lakers? They're rebuilding and I think they'll be back and hopefully there will be a rivalry budding. As for Kobe, it's about time to retire. He was a great player in his prime and he should bow out gracefully.

Keeping this Big West related, I'm a CSUF hoops fan, maybe even more so than a Clips fan, believe it or not. So far they're 4-1 and I'd like to see how they do in conference play.

25. OC Galaxy Fans

Jul 30, 2009
    Placentia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the CSUF / Nevada game on Saturday and thought Fullerton looked much better than last year. I was really surprised to see a 10-man rotation. Most CSUF teams have been 7-8 deep at best. Hope everyone stays healthy.