NFHS rules

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Spencedawgmillionaire, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    It's the quick tap back to the kicker, who's frequently in OSP at that point, that's hard to pick up when it's behind you, and that's what I got distracted by. And got wrong. I think. Oh well.

Cornbred Ref repped this.
  2. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I would probably try to rationalize it this way. Since we know there are compromises in running a dual, missing an offside in the corner from a tap back to the kicker (relatively low reward for the attacking team) is probably better than missing ugly crap in the PA.

[edit] Like @Law5 said. :oops:

IASocFan and Law5 repped this.
  3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  4. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016

I have only been doing NFHS for one season (last fall), so take this with a huge grain of salt. But, I think that switching sides would be a disaster, especially if the ball bounces around for a bit and doesn't get cleared out cleanly. Maybe it could work if you had the same partner every game and could perfect the technique, but we all know that doesn't happen.

When the corners are on my side, I set up along the end line, but not between the GA and PA...more about the PA or just outside the PA, closer to the kicker. kick is still behind you but closer. It gives you a better view for the short kick and you can move down the end line towards the scrum as the ball is in the air. I think that the short corner and quick tap back to the kicker is an outlier situation. As others have said, a dual is a compromise and you have to be in position to see what is the most likely situation -- a kick into the box.

5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    OK. Anybody else for setting up outside the kicker like AR position?

6. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100%. To advance on my previous post about it, there isn't really a disadvantage to starting out wide as an AR. It's very rare you're going to have to worry about any sort of play in the penalty area on a short corner and you will still be in a position to see that from your angle. I also think though - and this is big - that where you set up really relies on who your partner is.

I did a dual on a girls JV game last year with a 60+ gentleman who had a knee replacement like two years prior (don't ask me why he hasn't hung it up yet). This match was difficult because he had a useful range of maybe 30-40 yards (basically from midfield to the top of the 18) and he stayed in a straight line. I had to compensate like no other for this and, in the scenario we're discussing, I definitely felt more comfortable being closer to the PA since my "help" was 40 yards away.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Cornbred Ref, sometimes partnerships are not 50-50. Last season, I was doing DSC on a smaller schools varsity girls game out in the boondocks. AR2 is a guy who is just a sweet old guy, now in his 70's, but back in the day, 30+ years ago, he was a college referee. He'd already done one game earlier that day, at a site over half an hour away, so he barely made it before kickoff. The first time there's a long ball towards his end, I look to him and he's maybe 20 yards behind play. I'm thinking "Oh, that's right. It's Dan." I was looking into the sun on his side and, of course, he wasn't and the lines were pretty sketchy. So I just relied on him to call throw-ins and tried to remember that I was going to have to call offside at his end of the field. It was fine, the girls had good attitudes and just wanted to play and nobody yelled.

voiceoflg and Cornbred Ref repped this.
  9. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I just got the e-mail from NFHS announcing "2018 Football Rule Changes." The picture is two female soccer players and a link to the article. Obviously, the subject line was wrong. It should have been "2018 futbol rule changes."

Dayton Ref repped this.
  10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the same email. Obviously the biggest change is the name of the sport. NFHS will now call the other football as "American Football" or "Pointyball". The south shall rise again in anger.

11. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I pinch in the middle as deep as I dare as trail. On corners at my end I stand on the goal line roughly midway between the edge between PA and GA facing the field and watching the mess inside. Corners on my partners end I am sitting outside the PA opposite side. How deep depends on where the players are setting up. Call it the 10-15 yd lines on that end. So 20-25 yds from the goal line. .And if I'm trail in deep and the ball flips fast I may run the numbers going back but if its really open play I will drop inside and behind slightly and take the position as CR. I will give up the offside outer position to see the play unfold. HS pointy football lines make the offside calls fairly obvious in that case.

12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    All good stuff on the changes. Thanks.

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think they would just wait until March to see what IFAB is changing instead of having this year delay.

14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Pinching in as trail means I'm often pinched in as lead. I usually tell the winger "If I'm getting in your way please let me know. And if you knock me down you have to pick me up. OK?" "OK."

I can also now backpedal as fast as I can run forwards. Mind you, that's not because I'm backpedaling any faster ...

voiceoflg repped this.
  15. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Makes too much sense!

16. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    That assumes that administrators care what IFAB does. Coaches and officials do, but not the state administrators. (Well, other than our state's executive director, who played soccer when he was in high school. I remember refereeing some of his games!) They've got their schedule! The NFHS rules committees meet on a fixed schedule. Gridiron football is the next week, if memory serves, followed by "cheer" and so it goes. The football rules committee is 52 people! Every state, except Texas, has a representative, plus one each for officials and coaches, and a chairman. There are countries whose parliament is smaller than that.

The soccer meeting date is always a bit awkward. Depending on the state (and their weather), high school soccer is planned in all three seasons somewhere in the country. When the questionnaire goes out, it always asks administrators, coaches and officials whether the new rules adopted last year turned out satisfactory, but the states with spring soccer haven't even played their first season yet under the "new" rules. I don't know the NFHS turnaround times for rule books, etc., but sometimes IFAB has not published the changes they made until May. "Yeah, but what about the three months before the fall season?" It has been my experience that nothing happens in the high school sports world over the summer and everyone believes that nothing can be done in that time frame.

kayakhorn and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well poo, they went to the IFAB dogso. Really didn’t want this.

18. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yes, it's a little odd to hear about rule changes for the fall when our season under the current rules starts in two weeks.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was leery at first, but I've turned around and think it's one of the best changes to the LOTG in recent memory.

20. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I see they un-did the change they made this year on undies.

"In another uniform change, undergarments can be a different solid color than the uniform, although the length and color of the undergarments must be the same for all members of the team. "

Coaches were not happy with the change to "must match the color of the uniform over the undergarment." Some coaches had invested in matching colors that didn't match the uniform, so I see a lot of black long-sleeves under the home whites.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  21. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Regarding corners in a dual~ we are instructed to be AR-like for CK on our side, and come in toward the goal for ones on the far side. There is so much tomfoolery these days out near the kicker I would not want to risk missing the OS tap or other evolutions.

22. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just really wasn’t necessary. The triple punishment is an artificial construct not rooted in the laws. The suspension portion of it isn’t mentioned in the laws at all. That’s a league by league decision, and there is where they should have remedied the supposed “problem”. By taking responsibility at the league level and not suspend players they don’t fee deserve it.

Not adding a new grey area to an already hotly debated decision by the referees.

Kit and frankieboylampard repped this.
  23. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I was trained to do the opposite I think? Most of the duals I have done with a competent partner, the lead on a near side corner has eyes on or around the ball at all times, and the trail pinches in and down to monitor the scrum.

As lead I usually stand around the GA and follow the ball, so I'm turned facing the kick so I can see any short corner shenanigans, and also be cognizant of if an outswinging corner crosses the end line. Then I follow the ball in and end up with eyes around the GK.

As trail, I usually end up positioned where I would be as a CR and can watch the jostling I normally would in a normal system. And I pray there isn't a lightning counter.

24. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely understand this. And I don't want to discriminate on any referee over anything like age. The gentleman I was referring to specifically like just had a knee replacement surgery and he couldn't run much at all. I mean he wasn't just doing the game a disservice, he probably wasn't doing his health any help. In this specific game, the players and coaches were very unhappy with the performance and I can't say I fault them at all for it.

25. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Would they have been happier if you did the game solo? It sounds like that was the next best alternative. Just a rhetorical question.