NFHS Rule Changes 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Kit, Feb 26, 2019.

1. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    NFHS basketball if there is a roster error it's a team technical foul.

2. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, 100%. I remember things best by trying to remember loopholes that technically exist. Since contest eligibility usually is defined by the state NFHS chapter and there is a "gap", that means it could be possible for someone to come up, say they're a student, get added to the roster, and then after the match we find out that the kid was actually 20 years old. Of course, the coach would probably be fined, game would be forfeit, etc.. but it would be pretty easy to do.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    A lot of the HS rosters I get are still handwritten. A whole lot. And at least once a season I hear a coach asking a player "What's your name again?"

Geko repped this.
  4. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Let's remember that the nice people who write us checks for high school games are the athletic directors and principals, not the coaches or players/parents. (At one time in my career, I calculated that 50% of the coaches I had red carded never coached another game at that school. Principals and AD's don't want trouble makers. It looks bad on their record.)

And there are certain things in the NFHS rules that are not in IFAB LOTG. Some of them are typically covered in rules of competition in USSF affiliated games, sometimes not. So some of the NFHS rules are just schools using common procedures. E.g. does IFAB address how close spectators can be? No. Have you ever done a high school varsity boys' game where the home team's spectators are, literally, standing with their feet under the visiting team's benches? I have. I don't recommend it. So NFHS rules tell the schools to do the sensible thing and keep spectators at least 10 feet back.

fischietto repped this.
  5. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Predictably, encountered my first in-game case of players crossing-up the newer LOTG vs. NFHS rules...

HSBV pre-season, Dual, parents along my touchline. Goal kick at my end, defender goes deep into his PA to receive it, then turns with the ball... No one says a thing... until I whistled it.

A few players: "Didn't they change that? We can do that now, right? Huh? We did it this summer." (perhaps in club?)

And, one parent (in a very light-hearted manner): "Ref will catch up on the rules by the time regular season starts." :rolleyes:

So, time to clarify with the players: "Remember, High School has its own set of rules, not FIFA's... that rule hasn't change for High School - ball still has to come completely out of the PA before anyone touches it, just like last year."

"Oh, okay, sorry." No worries guys, just retake the kick. :thumbsup:

I then hear the catch-up-on-the-rules parent: "Oh mannnn, sorry Ref - been seeing it on TV :oops:... Buy you a cold beer if you'll forget what I said!!"

(Very tempting as it was 90* and sunny out there!)

Law5, kayakhorn, Dayton Ref and 4 others repped this.
  6. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I envy you. That is not how my average high school parents would have reacted.

swoot and IASocFan repped this.
  7. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Haha, yeah, kind of rare... a few dads enjoying a game while grasping that it was still PRE-season on a very hot day.

As they discussed some "observations" among themselves, during a couple of pauses in play when nearby I offered a quick ref's perspective like "we're watching for X, Y, Z on that type of challenge." or rules clarifications, etc. It was quite civil and non-interfering; even got a "hey, thanks for the insights." after the game. A nice day.

I'm sure that will all change in a couple of weeks...

8. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, when they have a ref whom isn't looking at X, Y, Z and they are.

9. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    As WC Fields said, "Never wise up a chump."

65GT350 and IASocFan repped this.
  10. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York's high school soccer season will begin in two weeks so my local association had our interpretation meeting last night. There has already been a correction to the 2019-2020 NFHS rules. Rule 2.2.4 says that if a ball becomes defective during play it will be restarted with a drop ball between two players. We were told the correction is that the drop ball should be between any number of players. Apparently they forgot to change that when they published the new rules.

11. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an editorial oversight. They intended it that way the whole time this year.

Kit repped this.
  12. BrianD

BrianD Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    Starting this year, the restart for play stopped for an injury is a drop ball except when the ball was in the keepers possession when play was stopped. What is the restart in that situation? Is it an IFK from where the keeper had the ball?

13. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. The only indirect free kick for an injury is when the goalkeeper has possession and the restart is from where the goalkeeper has possession unless the goalkeeper has possession in the goal area in which case the free kick can be taken anywhere in the goal area.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  14. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    ASSUMING that the injury was not caused by a foul.

Kit repped this.
  15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well, ahem ... that would not be a free kick for an injury. That would be a free kick for a foul. :rolleyes:

16. Sam_C

Sam_C Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Jun 19, 2018
    Perhaps these questions belong in a different thread, but I have a chance to start Varsity/Prep NFHS this season coming from USSF LoTG matches and I have some questions regarding the procedural changes that are not included in the 'Comparative Study' that NFHS published.

Rule 5-3 and page 79 of the new NFHS book mention that under NFHS rules we are expected to "communicate the nature of misconduct to coaches, the scorer, and other officials;" I am wondering how you guys with some experience under your belt avoid that communication becoming "a discussion"? :rolleyes: Perhaps a drive-by approach is appropriate?

I have heard the sportsmanship speech a bunch of times as a player and see it mentioned in the rule book as a pregame requirement; how much jibberish is expected, and do you have a short version I can steal (assume an assessor or referee coach is watching)?

Lastly, is there anything you wish you would've known before moving from LoTG to NFHS? Thanks in advance!

17. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    "Play hard, play fair, have fun. Heads or tails?"

Which is actually 6 words longer than necessary.

Law5 and Geko repped this.
  18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    "Dissent coach."

"Coaches, at the whistle will all of your players be properly and legally required? Thanks. Captains, both teams are going to exhibit good sportsmanship at all times, yes? Good. OK visitors which one of you is going to call the coin? Good. Call it in the air please."

IASocFan and Law5 repped this.
  19. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I certify the coaches 30-20 minutes before kickoff, during my introduction. "Coaches, will your team be legally and appropriately attired by game time? Ever answer 'No' to that question? Thanks, coach. I'll call captains with 6 minutes left on the countdown clock. You're welcome to attend, but I don't consider it mandatory. If you have other things to do that will require your presence, I'll understand. We're just there for the coin toss."

20. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #122 Bubba Atlanta, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    I meant to say "properly and legally equipped" of course, not required. Early morning phone thumb.

Rule 4.3 Situation A offers this:

That's more or less the way we've always done it around here. I think your approach meets the spirit of that though.

EDIT: On reflection though, I think the notion is that the head coaches are to be present for the "reciting a sportsmanship message" part, not just to be asked about equipment.

OP, the rest of it goes, more or less, "Heads it is. Pick or kick? OK, so white you guys are defending this side, and blue you're kicking off going this way. Yes? Good. Good luck and have fun." I will usually then ask the captains to encourage their teams to check one last time for jewelry (they usually find some), and on a turf field with a bunch of different colored lines painted, make sure the visitors know which lines are the soccer lines.

But most of all, keep it short, keep it simple, and absolutely no lectures or sermons or advice about how you call your game. Show 'em, don't tell 'em.

But also (and then I'll quit I promise) ... be yourself, be friendly, be cheerful, show some personality, don't be a robot. OK I'm done. Good luck and have fun.

21. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    30 or so minutes before the start I meet and introduce myself to each coach, get their roster and ask if all their players are legally and properly equipped. If it’s a non-district game or the first district game of the season I ask what they have decided to do if the game ends tied. I ask the home coach if we are announcing player names and/or doing the national anthem.

At the coin flip I introduce myself to the captains, shake their hands and flip a coin.

IASocFan repped this.
  22. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After showing a card to a player, I run by the benches and saying something like, "#3 unsporting behavior" and then run back to my position and restart play.

As for the pregame speech, I hate giving it so I usually have my partner do it. If I am forced to it's something like, "Remember we are supposed to emphasize sportsmanship. That means show respect to your teammates, your opponents, the coaches, and the officials, but don't listen to the fans; they don't know what they are talking about." Then everyone laughs and we move on to the coin flip. The shorter the speech, the better it is. Kids zone out after about 10 seconds and don't hear you anyway.

Other advice that I have is forgot the LOTG while you are doing NFHS games. You don't want to confuse the two. While they are similar (and they have gotten closer over the years), there are enough differences to confuse you while you officiate.

23. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here in New York, we are told that the coaches MUST be at the pregame meeting with the captains when we read the speech.