Nfhs/pk

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Rufusabc, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I'm trying to wade through the NFHS things, and I wanted to see if there is anything on this call from a game I was watching yesterday...

Visitors ahead 1-0, and are awarded a penalty about 5 seconds from the end of the match...5 seconds later referee blew for full time. It did not impact the W/L status of the game, but I was wondering what the NFHS rule is, and if someone has a link that would also be great...(did the ref blow for full time because it would NOT have impacted the final score?)

I don't do HS games, but I am watching about three of them a week right now, and it certainly is a strange thing. Hard to get used to.

R

2. Trevallion

Trevallion Member

May 3, 2006
    The Yakima Valley
    Well, technically in NFHS, when a PK is awarded, the referee is supposed to stop the time to allow for the taking of the PK.

It looks like the referee you observed "bent" the rules somewhat. With 5 seconds left, I can understand his logic, but I think that I would have given the team the opportunity to take this PK. It's not like 1-0 or 2-0 is a blowout.

Just my 2 cents.

3. NJ Ref

NJ Ref New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Central New Jersey
    Two points:

1. In High School (NFHS), the call of a penalty kick requires stopping of the clock Rule 7.4.1
    2. Again, in High School, time may be extended for the completion of a PK. Rule 14.1.6

Sounds like the referee was in a hurry to get out of there.

4. Yellowshirt

Yellowshirt New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    NJRef is entirely correct.

Unfortunately, there are many HS referees who either are ignorant of the rules or simply just make up their own.....and from my observations here in NJ, the latter seems to be commonplace.

5. DWickham

DWickham Member

Dec 26, 2003
    San Diego
    As others have noted, the NFHS rules provide for the clock to be stopped for the taking of a penalty kick and other specified events and provides for the match to be extended to complete the kick.

In figuring out any particular high school match, you also need to know if there is any different local or state rule. NFHS allows its members to modify any rule. I think it is unlikely in this case that there is a local rules difference.

6. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

NFHS rules state that the moment the referee decides a penalty kick offense has occurred, he should stop the clock. So long as the offense occured before the full time buzzer then the kick must be taken.

If there is a penalty kick foul with 0:01 on the clock and the timer buzzes before the the clock can physically be stopped, the referee shall order the time be correctly set back to 0:01.