Next USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by worldfootballgenius, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still don’t have a favorite for our next coach. I guess I’d be okay if it was Vanney at this point.

Give me a coach who can work with kids, has a great eye for talent, bases his selections and lineups on performance and fit for a system and not reputation, consistently introduces new kids and players to keep competition up, and most of all, preaches tactics and formations specifically designed for each and every team we play, and wins.

Some of the best coaches in sports history didn’t even play the sport they coached. Hell, our next coach could be Pia Sundhage and I’d be okay with it if she checked all those boxes.

With all of that being said, please don’t hire Tab Ramos or Dave Sarachan as the permanent coach.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bringing up random managers is nice but I do think we are waiting until after the World Cup to see who is available as a priority. Then if they turn us down it may be a Club manager. (But I could be wrong.)

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    As Technical Director, sure (though the Fed has basically made it a ceremonial position, unfortunately). As manager, don't you, um, want someone who as actually, you know, MANAGED before?

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Despite that poll, as far as domestic options go I'd honestly take either Marsch or Pareja before Vanney.

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but I would take a newbie with a good eye for player development and is well connected to a Manager with a so-so track record.

6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    the usmnt coaches job won't be 'player development' the job will be to qualify for the world cup using the best players the us has.

Zinkoff and Marko72 repped this.
  7. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “The best players the us has” likely involves many of the kids that are starting to make waves around the world. In this case, best players and player development go hand in hand.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My last remark is about having a manager with vs without experience. The coach has to have international experience in my opinion.

9. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    It includes the best, age isn't an issue. it doesn't involve the day to day improvement of players thought that is not the usmnt coaches job. clubs develop players not the national team. this is why that not being a focus of mls clubs has hurt the national team.

Zinkoff repped this.
  10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every coach a young player has helps develop him. If you had ever coached, you would understand that. If you want your young players to reach their potential, then they should always be learning. If a coach wants to win, then he should always be teaching. If successful national team coaching was just about plugging in players and letting them play, then we never would have had to fire Klinsmann

LouisZ repped this.
  11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    yes every coach should help every player...young and old age, isn't a factor. coaches are there to get the best out of the player and help them improve and work well in whatever system they are using that is absolutely true. What I am saying is that the national team only has a player for a handful of weeks on average in a year the national teams coach is to get that team to win matches, its not to hold day to day development camp, that is the job of the clubs who invest a ton in these young players. I never said players shouldn't learn from their national team experiences, I also never said a coach shouldn't teach his players how he wants them to play lol. Klinsmann's job as the coach wasn't to develop young players even with that train of though, if you believe that then tab ramos should've been fired he was in charge of the youth players...why has there been a lack of youth talent...ask tab. By the time they get to the senior team it shouldn't be day to day developmental training its situational/systematic issues.

You are right I have never coached a national team at the senior level. I would be curious to know if you have though.

12. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. There seem to be plenty of coaches who are willing to ride a player's existing ability or talent, and do very little to improve their play.

I think the first thing we need to do is decide things we want youth coaches to help players develop, which should involve a number of styles and tactics, to teach them flexibility and analysis.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    There are a couple of domestic coaches that are MUCH better choices to actually MANAGE a team by that very measure, before we even dive into the international pool. There simply isn't any merit to this idea no matter how you spin it, and I like Earnie...

14. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many on BS deprecate the coaches of national teams that will fail to win --- or even progress in --- the WC. But such coaches (especially European and South American ones) with few exceptions surpass our domestic/MLS, or club coaches elsewhere, and therefore should be pursued. Those national team coaches who make the semifinals won't be signing on for the US, but the others would seem to be available. Perhaps it is too early to speculate? Any names?

15. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roberto Martinez
    Didier Deschamps
    Jose Pekerman
    Gareth Southgate
    Ricardo Gareca
    Julen Lopetegui
    Vladimir Petkovic
    Oscar Ramirez
    Hector Cuper
    Carlos Queiroz

16. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    We are a dumpster fire so why not match like with like:
    Diego Maradona is out of a job...

17. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    We could do a lot worse than getting Peckerman. He is a pretty darn good NT coach

juveeer and raza_rebel repped this.
  18. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pekerman is also 68 years old and will be 72 at the next WC. Some of the national team coaches who I didn't mention are similarly older. When do these guys retire?

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once they start coaching internationally instead of club.

Cynical US fan repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Pekerman is a Colombian now with Colombian citizenship He will be treated as a king there when he retires and I doubt he will want to take the US job.

He does love Miami though so maybe there is a slim chance. As I joked around in a previous post all the US National team home matches would have to be played at the new Beckham MLS stadium in Miami. That may be tempting enough for him to take the job. He would just have to take an uber or limo to most of the matches other than the road ones and Gold Cup.. ( But that is not going to happen.)

deuteronomy repped this.
  21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    there are a bunch of options but the first step is a gm and trying to figure out what the real goals are.

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    people brought up Wenger......

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    did folks give up on dreaming of the Atlanta United coach taking on the job?

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he's still near the top of the list but who knows what he wants to do next.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Wenger should be England's National Team manager. I think he would do a better job than Southgate.