Next USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by worldfootballgenius, Feb 4, 2018.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    the issue with marsch though his 'do more with less' is a myth. He beats the bad teams that he is better then and then when he gets in the playoffs he gets smacked around in every way ...he loses to the good teams. It gives the impression he is accomplishing a lot its misleading.

2. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    If he performed exactly as you said he’d have been a massive upgrade in qualifying this last cycle.

Marko72 and largegarlic repped this.
  3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's the timeline on a new coach???

i hope sarachan doesnt coach another game....would prefer another interim if there hasnt been a permanent hire by then....anyone but sarachan.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    they didn't qualify that shouldn't be the barometer...better then last cycle shouldn't be something we are saying. We should want a good coach...not a better then bad coach.

5. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    he is only the interim coach because nobody else wants to be. all those people want the actual job and don't want to be judged by matches that don't count and you don't have near the full team. the timetable...after the world cup.

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good question.

several reasons:

bob, bruce and JK dont know how to coach that...and more importantly wouldnt want to if they could. they are (and were) way too conservative. they played it safe and equated pressing with risk-taking and defensive suicide.

many of the "stars" under these guys do not work in a pressing system....especially bradley and jozy. beckerman, dax, diskerud, wondo etc types are not pressing anyone....

but i agree with your idea that the USMNT SHOULD be a pressing team....

for bob, it wouldve meant not playing his son (never an option)

for JK, it wouldve meant a different approach (no 3 dmids, no MB)

for arena it wouldve meant totally different apporach to how he's done it for 20-30 years (wasnt gonna happen - no vets, no MB, no jozy etc.....)

the USMNT SHOULD be a high-pressing team....athleticism and work rate coulda been, shoulda been the US' edge recently but somehow it hasnt been.

also, i think the players - for whatever reason - who would be good in a high press system have been worse than a lot of players who they are competing for minutes with....somehow a lot of the "athletes" have been bad soccer players lately for the usmnt....

sadly, the best athletes have all been wanting as players and the best players have all been wanting athletically in recent USMNT times, it seems

that said, there have been options i.e. a high-pressing system that simply werent considered as well....

all in all, a great coach is needed and, if chosen, will make all the difference in the world.

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uggghhhhhh

8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

its not bob/jk/bruce's job to coach passing that isn't he usmnt managers job.

everyone likes to pretend that high pressing is all about like effort and if you can't high press you aren't trying hard enough or something. High pressing is way more nuanced then I think people understand. Its not just go run at the ball. high pressing is a highly tactical system and you need depth.

you lose all credibility when you bash bradley like that. Bradley was one of the most consistent players on the squad and was playing in Italy and playing a lot. Playing him on the national team at that point was a no brainer. The idea that he only played because it was his son shows that you are just letting ur emotions cloud the fact. He has slipped a ton in the last 2 years but when his father was the coach he was the best choice.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #59 adam tash, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    there was a small window of time when MB deserved his auto-starter every game spot....

but he was also brought into the team too early, before he had earned it (by his dad's BFF, arena) and he kept his spot on the team longer than he shouldve b/c of his connections name and status......

wasnt a coincidence that MB looked best when Donovan beasley and dempsey etc were around to make him look good...and when the older generation aged out....the team cratered.

but beyond all that....MB's style of play is not suited to high-pressing....therefore, making him the centerpiece of the team made that style of play impossible.....

he was such a liabilty in midfield that he needed 1 or 2 dmids to play behind him despite not being able to create much offensively.....

the midfield was the weak spot of the team over the last 2 coaches...MB was the only constant in midfield over that time. only a fool would claim that the midfield struggles werent directly related to MB.

i think jozy is top 23 and MB is borderline top 23 (not in my 23 but can see why some would include him).....but if the tactic is high-pressing - and it shluld be given US player pool - jozy and MB are not in my 23.

sometimes all of the "best" players dont fit the best system

MB was never good enough to build the USMNT around and was never good enough to forgo the best system for the USMNT player pool. unfortunately, that was the decision that was made....that, to me, is why he gets so much venom spewed his way.....despite being a "good" player.

bob347, TOAzer, laxcoach and 1 other person repped this.
  10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    yeah I get it you don't like MB but you are literally so desperate to bash him you've jumped from ur original point. It went from us soccer should've hired someone to high press yada yada yada but Bradley had is son on the team so they couldn't.

the argument you are trying to make isn't an argument its bad monday morning quarterbacking. they didn't play a high press...none of those coaches have ever used it even with their clubs. The idea that they would've if MB wasn't there is just such a reach its really pointless.

the end of ur post sums it up.

Bradley wasn't ever a guy that created a ton of offense..with anyone and obviously once the guys that had done that on those teams aged..the team struggled to do that. That is true for everyone..when you can't score and you lack creativity nobody looks good. To then say 'oh hey player X you never filled that role and its not in ur skillset but now its ur job to be that creative force.'

you say you found the miracle system that would've made the US successful but it makes no sense. the idea that the less technical, less talented side would be better off high pressing is crazy and the idea the only reason they didn't do that was MB's fault is also crazy.

Like I said I understand....you don't like MB but to make him the sole or him an altidore the reasons the us didn't play well or didn't play the system you've decided years later they should've played is silly.

I would though in the name of fairness.

Lets have ur lineups:

2009 confed cup

2010 WC

2014 WC

I picked this range because that was bradley's best five years. Let's have ur high pressing take the match to the other team lineup.

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2009 confed cup final USA up 2-0 a halftime vs brazil....WITHOUT MB. bob got sorely outcoached and went to the time-honored USMNT sitback and defend strategy in the second half gave up the game.

my point is that any team that wants to high-press would be in trouble with MB in center midfield...or anywhere on the field, for that matter. he's too slow and bad in 1 on 1 defending....despite being a "dmid"

finding the right lineups depends on experimentation....every roster/lineup matters....so if a coach wastes callups and roster spots on the wrong players ...it makes it hard for anyone to choose lineups and rosters.....

which is why i want sarachan gone yesterday.....every game is a chance to learn more about the player pool....but under sarachan...with his zardes and morris as wingers lineups....learning anything will only be due to dumb luck.

i wouldve taken MB to 2010 world cup...but not to 2014 in brazil. face it, he sucked in brazil. that stupid last touch vs portugal ruined the tourney for the usmnt, imo. shouldve been MB;'s last game for USMNT.

bob347 and laxcoach repped this.
  12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    this sums it up

us is up 2-0 without bradley...and loses 3-2

how did they do the match before against the #1 team in the world with Bradley(well for 86 minutes lol)? you skipped that one why?

they beat #1 with him

lose to brazil without him

that means he sucks

somehow that is the argument that he isn't good only on a message board can that argument be made with a straight face. I mean its tough to come up with an argument against that idea.

I'd like to add brazil beat costa rica with neymar...got slaughtered without him by germany...clearly neymar stinks.

the us doesn't have the players or coach to play the high press with or without MB. you need to move onto something else I don't understands why 'fans' pick random things and hold onto them knowing they won't happen its like they want to be mad. the fact that ur whole thing is highlighted by backwards reasoning and thoughts like 'he had a bad touch...never would've let him play for usmnt again'......over one touch lol shows you are just a random fan who wants to be mad and you picked him. You can't judge a player on one touch or one match you have to be mature and look big picture. I mean pulisic had bad touches against T&T is he out now as far as you are concerned?

you just need to relax and enjoy the sport for what it is....fun. the over the top anger just isn't a good look and you aren't thinking straight.

you should be mad at bradley for getting the red card against spain so he couldn't play against brazil not trying to prove he was bad because he didn't play and they lost lol.

13. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    oh and by the way the matches since T&T and the rest until they name a gm and then full time coach are scrimmages...they don't matter. in fact nothing about them matters the roster, the lineup, performances....they don't matter.

Master O repped this.
  14. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Caleb Porter or Gregg Berhalter as coach of usmnt.

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter? No. The style he has his teams play want 1994 back.
    Berhalter? He's been impressive enough to warrant a serious look.

Pedro Rondon H de Sá and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF are you talking about?

Did Marsch/NYRB win the Supporters Shield in 2015 by only beating the bad teams?

Were you in a coma during the 2017 playoffs? Marsch/NYRB beat a higher ranked Chicago team 4-0 on the road (Chicago was 12-2-3 at home), barely lost to the best team in MLS history Toronto FC 2-1 at home after a game-winning goal from Giovinco, and then beat them 1-0 in Toronto (who only lost 2 games at home out of 20, and one of them was to NYRB in the playoffs). But I guess advancing 4-0 and getting eliminated 2-2 on the away goals rule by the eventual champion is "getting smacked around in every way"?

[​IMG]

17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Next USMNT should be Marcelo Bielsa. No MLS coaches!

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More...

MLS Coaches, Most Points-Per -Game (2013-17)
    PPG (RANK) COACH (MLS TEAM) W-L-T
    1.64 (1) Jesse Marsch (NY Red Bulls) 48-31-23
    1.60 (2) Gregg Vanney (Toronto FC) 51-35-26
    1.60 (3) Bruce Arena (LA Galaxy) 58-35-43
    1.59 (4) Oscar Pareja (Colorado FC Dallas) 76-51-43
    1.57 (5) Mike Petke (NY Red Bulls, Real Salt Lake) 43-32-23
    1.51 (6) Caleb Porter (Portland) 68-50-52
    1.49 (7) Peter Vermes (Sporting KC) 70-56-44
    1.45 (8) Sigi Schmid (Seattle, LA Galaxy) 58-55-23
    1.43 (9) Gregg Berhalter (Columbus) 53-47-36
    1.43 (10) Carl Robinson (Vancouver) 53-48-35
    Minimum:75 games.

19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

thats amazing right there

Easily puts marsch with pep right? I mean can you name somewhere else we've seen that brilliance.

of course maybe numbers don't tell you the entire story right?

I mean we could talk about his time in montreal when he was 12-17-7

but we know what that would do to his numbers in this poll, right? I mean that ppg average would come out to 1.14...if you just added that season to his total it would drop to 1.52...which ironically would drop him right behind petke.

I recall petke coaching the red bulls.

I mean he's better then petke who isn't a great coach right?

I mean your boy won the supporters shield the second time ever at the club...petke led the team when the won their first two years earlier.

I mean marsch made it to the eastern conference finals...ooh petke did that too

marsch took over a winning team...petke didn't get that

I mean marsch doesn't have a trophy that petke doesn't have as far as his team winning anything.

I don't hate the guy I am just not impressed. I mean I saw that second leg against toronto...he went bruce arena on the game plan...he forgot they needed a certain result and didn't play to get it.

20. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard his name thrown about a few times, and after thinking on it for a bit, I think I'm for Bielsa now too. He's a little old, it'd probably be his last gig, and he quit in odd circumstances with his last two gigs I think. So I'd him to be properly vetted. If he seems up for the job and will work with US Soccer, thpen I'm all for this appointment!

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter style back to 1994? I think you are way wrong. In fact, Porter's Olympic team, All start team played a very good combination of pressing and attacking game. Yes, is a small sample size but if given the right players he seems to get them to gel.

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 1994 team pressed. Nothing special in that. Porter's "Olympic" team was a failure. Porter's multiple years with Portland, gave some space to skill players [e.g Valeri] but by an large he had less respect or interest for building a technically proficient team than Arena or Bradley. Just compare the Galaxy with Portland, or how LAFC is developing with Portland. . He offers nothing new whatsoever to the national team. But, hey, we made the round of 16 in '94. That's giddy heights by this time.....:coffee:

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Olympic team lost not because they didn't play well but because Porter, as a new coach, didn't have any idea how to use only 3 subs per game. The All-star team played so well that Pep Guardiola was pissed the MLS players was playing like if it was a real game, which to Pep took it as a sign of disrespect. .

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BY FAR the most likely reason he laughed is that he’s young and international management is mostly an old man’s game.

But hey go with your OH MY GOD YOUR TAKE IS THE HOTTEST HOT THAT EVER HOTTED.

Jesus this forum sucks now. Even the schadenfreude I feel about th sadness of clowns like this struggles to make up for how much of a cesspool of stupid hot takes it has become.

25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My take isn't the hottest take ever. Plenty of other people here have said the men's program is basically joke status right now.