Next USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by worldfootballgenius, Feb 4, 2018.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    rape jokes? interesting take

2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    interesting you say other coaches shouldn't be considered because of their 'resume' issues.

berhalter has a lower w% with the austin club then he did in sweden when he was fired. with austin he has won......thats right...nothing good resume though.

marsch has won....a supporters shield..awesome....yeah not really

the us shouldn't hire a coach based on his nationality.

schelotto...yeah a club coach in argentina...he played a few years in mls...great idea lol. his resume is literally almost blank...because he has so little experience. the us can't hire a coach who will be learning how to coach.

renard...lasted 13 matches at lille was terrible...but ur made at jco over three losses but thats ok. just signed an extension with morocco...lets pay a coach a big buyout...awesome idea not to mention a coach who has probably never been to this side of the world...he'll figure out mls/concacaf no problem lol.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Er, nope.

4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?

IndividualEleven repped this.
  5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Watching the Saudi/Russia game right now made me think about Juan Antonio Pizzi. I don't know much about him other than that he won the 2016 Copa with Chile, but then obviously failed to get them to Russia. What are people's thoughts on him as an option?

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Two Copas was very impressive. Imo, Chile should have sent a C team to the Confederations. The main guys needed a break.

7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

"I'm addressing the claim that Osorio has some kind of outstanding resume. Pump your brakes, bro."

-ur quote when I said that every coaches resume has issues...so more like 'er...yup'

I mean are you actually trying to say that his 'resume' doesn't matter now? I could quote ur distasteful joke if you want?

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    No. A record with some failures doesn't preclude the overall record being outstanding. Osorio's record still isn't, though. For the third time:

Osorio won some league titles in Colombia. He had less than a year in Chicago. He had short-term success with MetroStars, leading to an MLS Cup final in his first year, before getting fired the next year. He had less than a year in LigaMx. Had less than a year in Brazil. With the Mexico NT, in the Copa, he got pumped 7-0 by Chile. He got pumped 4-1 by Germany C in the Confederations, before losing the third-place game to Portugal.

IN CONCLUSION
    While Osorio has a busy head coaching record, with stops in impressive places, he has shown nothing in the way of sustained excellence aside from his stint in Colombia. But let's see what he does in the WC. A Quarterfinals appearance would be something.
    Do expand.

9. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    so a qf app changes everything? one match literally makes him a good hire? thats the point and the problem with ur angle on the entire thing. its about body of work, coaching style and fit its not about one match/result.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kind of unfair to Osorio to expect a QF from him.

This time Mexico got a path that makes it impossible for them to get past the R16. They're not going to beat either of the two best teams in the world, Germany and Brazil.

I'd say Osorio's test is the Sweden game.

Still, I don't think he'd be the right fit for our pool.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Making it to the Quarterfinals involves performing across 4 matches including a victory in the 4th. Mexico haven't done that in a long time. Making it to Quarters doesn't make him a good hire but does count as a genuine outstanding achievement.

12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    you are all over the place now

-you are starting to understand a little bit though. the QF would not make him a good hire just like a match against chile wouldn't make him a bad hire.

-just and fyi I don't know how long you've followed the sport so I will be gentle but making the quarterfinals doesn't involve performing across four matches. The first three are what is called the group stage you only need to be top 2 to advance as long as you win two and in some cases just get two results you can be off the to qf. so really you can get to the qf with two wins a draw and a loss.

13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the topic, how about Carlos Quieroz. He's put together a pretty resolute Iran team here. Links to the US with his time at MetroStars. Thoughts?

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    AGAIN. His overall record is not outstanding. Making it to Quarters would greatly improve the record. Mexico haven't made Quarters since '86.

Making Quarters involves playing 4 games. 3 games are played in group stage. Then there is a round of 16 match that must be won in order to make Quarters.

3+1 = 4

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tip of the hat to Herve. Morocco qualified for the first time since '98.

Iran making it out of the Group would be a massive accomplishment.

16. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    wait so you've gone back to going to the quarters...one match...would greatly improve his record? I mean he has a greatly improved record if robben doesn't dive and mexico wins four years ago? I mean how much of a better manager would he be because of that?

the answer is not at all.

playing in four matches yes...performing in four matches as you stated...no.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Getting to Quarters involves four matches. I not sure why you can't comprehend this.

He wasn't the coach in '14.

Across four matches.

18. Converted54

Converted54 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for being a tad off topic here or if it has been discussed already...

But when should we actually expect the announcement of the new manager? Precisely, before the WC is complete, or after?

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We made QFs and only performed across three games, our guys took a day off in the Poland game.

20. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001

Before the WC ends would be odd since you want to see who gets fired/leaves after the tournament.

Unless we are going US hire and it is already set up, I would imagine sometime in July.

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    ur missing the details...they don't have to perform in four matches they can be terrible in one match and just barely physically make an appearance and still get to the quarter finals. I know you didn't mean 'perform' you meant there are three group matches and a round of 16 match...but you said 'perform' and that isn't true you can't talk urself out of that.

I know who the coach was but was he a worse coach because his team lost one match like that?

my point still stands winning/losing a qf match...or any single match doesn't make a manager better or worse its about a lot of things including, style, personality fit, overall tactical ability, experience and fit within goals of the club/fed and thats just a few. A single match result...isn't on the list.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Try to understand the difference.

23. Converted54

Converted54 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason why I think during the WC as a possibility is purely from a business standpoint. It would create added buzz around the USMNT that the 2026 bid just did. A buzz that is lacking due to not being in the tournament. It would get people talking about the team when right now there isn't any real reason to talk about them.

After the WC makes a lot of sense though and I prefer it that way.

24. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I do understand the difference. I am sorry you aren't correct but I can't help you at all I tried.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Your posts indicate you don't.