Next Man Up - Arsenal Manager thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #201 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    I remember people on here being quite sceptical of Spielvercom at the time - but it was far from "just another tactics site". The analysis was the real deal, and ended up attracting attention from clubs. I think it provides some kind of validation for the anorak approach to football as opposed to the proper football men. In other words, many of those guys are clueless. Of course what has really helped Maric is he appears to be very popular with the players and that is key to delivering on a vision - as opposed to Emery for example.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/19/chatroom-bootroom-rene-maric-modern-coach-salzburg

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What was schmidts style?

3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hyena-press & super vertical. Like even more aggressive than Kloppo

thebigman repped this.
  4. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Interesting I might look for some videos. I've always wondered why teams don't persistently foul high up the pitch. Most teams make terrible use of Free kicks.

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting according to that Statsbomb podcast, Leicester are pretty much locked for top 4 even with a fall off, because of their 12 point buffer. Such a great start is almost always converted.

So 4 big teams competing for one slot.

Also - Ted feels the Arsenal squad is much better than it was in late wenger era. Just need a couple of centre backs and a left winger to be competitive. :ROFLMAO:

So like we all felt, the manager was the bigger part of the problem

6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ultimately I think we are all going to be disappointed. If rumors are to be believed, it appears that Raul is focusing on old Spanish buddies...

Hired Emery
    Reached out to Luis Enrique
    Now rumored to have reached out to Marcelino

While both Enrique and Marcelino have a better track record than Emery, I don't think these guys are what Arsenal really needs. And again if rumors are remotely true, this is not a good trend.

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Raul Sanllehi also needs to be cannoned.

8. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Raul is an old trick pony. We should have kept Sven of the two

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Higher than 10th I'd say. Maybe 4th or 5th? Footy viewership has been really growing in USA, thanks in no small part to NBC's extensive marketing & coverage of EPL in recent years.

Yes it's ironic that we can watch way more live footy on TV than you can, especially EPL.

But then again we can't easily or cheaply attend English matches in person, like you can. So get off that couch mate! :D

thebigman repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds intriguing. I love the idea in concept. BUT the consensus seems to be that Arsenal doesn't have the squad for a system like that. Not to mention that you need a bigger/deeper squad because you tend to have higher injury/burnout rates, no?

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The high prices were essentially locked in via the Sky monopoly - not only in England

For instance in NZ, Sky also had the EPL so you were forced to pay for its absurdly expensive sky sports bundle which was based around rugby, cricket etc

But now the EPL streaming rights are being snapped up by competitors - e.g Spark (our national telco) is offering all you can eat sport for $20pcm and they nicked cricket, football and the rugby world cup.

Bundesliga was on Sky in germany but DAZN snapped up rights and you can watch for EUR120 annual / 11 pcm

So basically these things are being chipped out of the Sky Sports bundle around the world and Sky can't afford to make such stupid bids for all the rights like it still can in the UK

12. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The protracted poster's guerilla war against Raul marches on, comrades

Shen-O repped this.
  13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schmidt's style would be suicide in the PL as I dont think you can commit harakiri all throughout 50-70 games per season.

The question you should be asking yourselves (again) is why arent there any good English coaching talents around? I mean even if you constantly buy from the mainland that always means you are at least one step behind than the state of the art.

Why are there almost no former Arsenal players (who identify with the club) in coaching jobs nowadays? It doesnt have to be Henry or Bergkamp but someone, from all those years under Wenger, who also turned out a good coaching talent? Why were those players not brought up and given jobs in the reserves system or encouraged to take coaching jobs elsewhere for exp to then comeback to Arsenal? Ljungberg? Sorry but his record is hardly convincing.

Instead, you can buy a ex Buli coach who will bring the tactics but also is expected to turn the ship around in under 2 years. It wont work and you're back to square 1.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    No arsenal players in management??!!

Vieira Henry Freddie BFG Arteta just for starters

15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "good coaching talent"

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ted's argument is that Schmidt has moved on during his time in China. I don't know to comment on that.

I don't see any value in the manager being "english". In the last few years EPL clubs have made big gains by importing intellectual property from outside the league. Before that we saw a period where the EPL was underperforming largely to do with out of date managerial styles. The arrival of Klopp, Pep, Conte and Poch really shifted the needle while Arsenal fell behind under Wenger.

This is why we should be looking at hotter younger talent.

17. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The past 20 years of player development and manager development supports the philosophy that national systems are the best incubators of talent. Right now Germany is kicking ass in coach/manager training. If I was in charge of a search I would focus 60% of my effort on German coaches. I don't have as much faith in the other coaching development systems to create great coaches.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Plus in football, the way to import IP is via talent. That is why new leagues import older guys.

It's easy to forget that 5 years ago the Premium League was looking a bit out of date - especially in Europe. Utd had appointed Moyes. Sherwood had failed at Spurs. Arsenal were regressing under the same old Wenger. Chelsea had gone back to the well under Jose - but at least won some stuff out of the deal.

Klopp, Pep, and Poch were 3 younger managers who really transformed those sides and approaches in the league generally. I'd also argue Conte bought a lot of new ideas.

bandwagongooner and thebigman repped this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    our fa hasn’t t been progressive for years. We are an island that was ignorant to possession football till about 10 years ago (coaching wise)

premier league does not let coaches get time to express a philosophy and the game is less intellectual here in that regard

lesser leagues in Europe give coaches time. This league is a pressure cooker, the pot stirred by rabid fans and sky/the press

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There's a bit of hype this morning about Arse players training open body positions for 1 touch passing

Makes you wonder what on earth we have been doing this season that we are looking at this stuff in December

I mean of course many players learned this crap already but wow

Shen-O and thebigman repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Open body should be taught to u-8 let alone pros

fail

Shen-O repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This does seem rather basic stuff, but is this "hype" actually from properly documented journalism, or perhaps social media rumor?

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    From video of Freddie training it

24. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wtf did we sell Iwobi

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK that's legit. But of the training video up on Arsenal.com (which I just watched) I'm no coaching expert but I only saw one-touches around mannequins, which seemed not a bad thing to practice, even at the pro level. As well as lots of small pitch 7 or 8-a-side quick scrimmages.