Next Captain After Bradley

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 10, 2017.

?

Who will be the next USMNT captain?

1. Pulisic

44.2%
  2. Vet contingent (Altidore, Guzan, Besler, Cameron, Yedlin, Brooks, Johnson, Wood)

26.7%
  3. Other

29.1%
  1. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Matt Miazga. Future rock in the backline and as we saw, a vocal leader the field. Not the youngest or the oldest. Second choice, Geoff Cameron. Sometimes timing is key. He came along when someone else was locked in.

2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Miguel Bradlinho is worth a look.

3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Since our team is looking to take shape with the youth movement coming into the fold and having been somewhat vetted in the past 4 friendlies... who is the captain moving forward?
    We have some big personalities that might make a great captain. I am kinda excited to see who lands it and how it affects the mood/style of the team.
    Pulisic?
    Adams?
    Weah?
    McKennie?
    Miazga
    Yedlin?
    ....Bradley?

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Sarachan got it right with Trapp as Captain.

TrueCrew and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it'll probably be McKennie eventually. Pulisic and Palmer-Brown as the alternates, but Pulisic doesn't seem to be a vocal type and EPB isn't a USSF favorite, like some others are.

I think Excellency has a good point though. Trapp is a good captain for now. Will he be a starter for two cycles? I don't think so, but he should stay the captain until the younger players are ready to be the captain.

6. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not nearly the best player and more than likely a bench roster player in the next cycle but a true on the field leader. Totally cool with that guy getting the nod in the present. He epitomizes most aspects of a team captain.

If we go young as I hope we do, I'd be happy with a young captain. They align with each other so well that the chemistry would be great.

Not Bradley. No way.

7. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Yedlin, IMO. He's an automatic starter when healthy, the most experienced (along with Brooks) of our young guys, and young enough to be in the mix through at least this cycle. And most importantly seems well suited for it personality wise.

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Anyone, but Bradley. If he has any pride left, he should remove that armband and give it to someone else; before it's taken away from him.

We just need to move on.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t see that. IMO, he doesn’t seem to be the type of personality to rally the rest of the group around him. I could be wrong so don’t hold me to it. But I could see someone like McKennie possibly taking the mantle. He seems like he has the type of fiery personality you need in a Captain.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Agree with McKenzie. Maybe 6 years from now.

11. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin or Brooks. I don't mind Trapp, he is serviceable but I think those two will probably be more consistent starters. McKenzie will probably be captain next cycle but not this one.

12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    That's the least of our worries for now. Let's not nominate anyone captain for life just yet. Allow everything to unfold and see who steps forward to take the lead. the best player may or may not be the best captain.

yurch10 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it shouldn't be Bradley. However, he can't give away what he doesn't have any more. You have to be on the field to wear the armband.

14. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This discussion needs to end. I've asked this before and never received an answer. Why does everyone clamor for some long term captain? Has it proven to achieve better results, if there is one player who is always on the field as a captain? If so, in what cases? Because I have a pretty good case for when it doesn't work, as Bradley was guaranteed a spot in large part, i would argue, because he was captain and had to be on the field.

We need to stop with the idea we need a long term captain. Why is this even a discussion, when our long term captain just presided over the worst failure in US history?

Why can't it simply be rotated based on who is in camp, and who looks to fill a nice leadership role. If it's Trapp sometimes, cool. If he isn't in camp, Yedlin, or Miazga, or Steffen. It could be literally anyone, but please, unless someone has some sort of empirical evidence as to why we need one, single, long term captain, let's put this one aside.

Is this simply because "that's the way it's always been"? Is every top team in the world always looking, and selecting, a player who never leaves the field and will always serve as captain?

If there is some kind of legitimate evidence as to the importance of this position, I am all ears, but I sense it's just something that's always been done, so we keep doing it. Then we find our captain for life (MB), we are beholden to keeping him on the field, and our play suffers because of it.

chad repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This. The sooner the better too.

SCSAutism and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Why?

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think the ideal captain is a guy who is towards the back and the center of midfield. So a CB, a DM, or a CM. They have the best view of everything that's going on all over the field.

And Wes seems to me the guy with the right character for the role. Incisive enough to make a point, but he doesn't go crazy. A captain has to be socially smart, and I think he fits the bill.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re missing the point. There is a very large faction of fans who want people humiliated. Probably those fans are immature and/or have such shitty lives themselves that all they have is schadenfreude.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #169 DHC1, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Agreed. There are two equally irrational kinds here on BS

- those who hate MB
    - those who hate JK

Why fans have so much animosity towards someone on our team is bewildering. Disappointment and disapproval, I understand but there is someone far more than that with those two subjects.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would add irrational hatred of Arena. But, yeah. I didn’t like the Jurgen hire, thought he hit some high points but overall was a disappointment. But I have no desire for the Fed to have humiliated him. Just release a statement that the team needed to go in a new direction, we appreciate what he’s done for the program and wish him best of luck for the future.

DHC1 repped this.
  21. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    These these few posts are a bit much. Nobody hates any of these guys. As the rhetoric and argument intensifies between BS supporters, you get people going overboard (I've likely been guilty of this). Nobody hates mb. People just got so tired of calling out that he shouldn't be auto starter and being told we were wrong. Don't misunderstand arguments on a message board with hating a person.

Anyhow, how does this relate to captain? And can someone please explain why we need a long term captain instead of just rotating between a group of players?

We'll end up with another MB situation soon if we decide we need one captain for 7 years who will never leave the field.

Zinkoff repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Is Bradley still going to play for the NT?

After what happened, many players in other teams would have retired from the international game.

Is MB, at this point, good enough to still be considered a regular starter for the USMNT? I don't think so, he's just inconsistent with his club.

Once a player is no longer in the regular Starting XI, he can no longer be captain. No humiliation there, it's just that the position demands a regular starter.

23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    That's right. Bradley is done, and even his most ardent supporters are no longer clamoring for him to still be included.

Again, though, why do we need to seek a long term captain when the long term captain we had failed miserably? Can someone please provide evidence that one, uncontested, play every game captain is something we should be looking for?

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Because leadership at the team level is vitally important and finding a good captain adds tremendous value. Rotating it simply devalues it and doesn’t allow us to be more than the sum of our parts.

25. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    doesn't go crazy? have you seen him play? he literally is JJ he is a yellow card waiting to happen at all times.