Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    hey everybody, we keep saying that @Bada Bing has little to no credibility and he can only see what Messi does. but there is not one person on this forum who receives so much attention yet his comments are blasphemy. i mean, look at his topic of maradona 86 v messi 14! i think it has over 100 pages! i still refuse to even take a look at that thread because of its blasphemy! if it is nonsense, then there is no need to keep responding.

United_xxx and Pipiolo repped this.
  2. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bada Bing constantly using the world logical to attempt to gain credility is laughable.

You cannot find a clearer example of bias, Messi scores x amount of goals agaisnt teams and it is lauded, Neymar scorers a bunch of goals agaisnt teams and the teams are called fodder, are they not the same teams Messi has been playing season after season with his (it must be said fantastic) numbers? This gets ignored and put down, the guy (boy I think) is a joke.

ko242 repped this.
  3. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Neymar should get Ballon d'or next year. He's the best player in the world right now.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    *BUMP*

Is 2017 finally the year that someone else will win the Ballon d'Or? And if so, who?

Messi has been on fire this year but doesn't look like he'll actually win anything beyond the Copa del Rey.
    Ronaldo has been quiet most of the season, including Champions League.

Bale will be injured for a big chunk of 2017 otherwise he'd probably be a great candidate.

It may be like 2007 when the award is basically decided by who gets hot in the QF, SF and final of the Champions League?

5. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Depends on who is the most marketable player on the CL winning team.

If Juventus win the CL it will probably be Dybala, if PSG win the CL it will be Di Maria, if Atletico win the CL it will be Griezmann. If Bayern win the CL it will be Lewadowski.

And if Real Madrid win the CL... well you know the drill.

BocaFan repped this.
  6. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't remember the last time that (at least in theory) it would be so difficult to select a world's best player. Hazard has been impressive in the league, but isn't playing the Champions League. Bayern Munich looks like they could win the UCL, but they don't have an individual performer who could realistically win the WPOTY (even if they win the UCL). I'd like to think that this could be the year when a midfielder finally gets the due credit (e.g. Modric). But on the other hand, I know that if Real Madrid wins the UCL, and CR7 stat-pads in La Liga, scores one or two important goals in the remaining UCL games (even if he clearly isn't Real Madrid's best player), and I can easily see him winning his 5th Ballon d'Or. I have other options of course, but I don't want to 'jinx' them.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Realistic options based on who wins the CL:
    Bayern - Lewandowski, maybe Thiago Alcantara
    Dortmund - Aubemeyang
    PSG - Marco Verratti or Angel di Maria
    Real Madrid - CR7
    Athletico - Griezmann
    Manchester City - Kevin De Bruyne
    Juventus - Higuain or Dybala

Another odd thought: What is the superb Monaco win it??? A bunch of noname players prior to this season, so they're basically pulling off a Leicester...

8. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Monaco have contended for a UCL spot for a few seasons. They have probably the second or third highest budget in Ligue 1 as well. Them winning the title, while impressive and unlikely, isn't even close to Leicester. With all that said, I'm hoping they do.

9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm crossing fingers for Nice :)

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm a Chelsea fan but I've followed Lyon closely for over 15 years. I'd always prefer Lyon, but as that isn't going to happen I will take anyone but PSG. Nice winning would be pretty damn remarkable and a story worth telling.

zahzah repped this.
  11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Agreed. Anyone but PSG.
    Mine is Marseille.

Blueallthru repped this.
  12. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Very cool. They need to get it figured out. Ligue 1 is better when the traditional clubs are challenging. Lille, Marseille, Lyon, and Bordeaux need to be better.

13. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    If Juve win it, it would probably be Higuaín. No?
    Bayern... Lewa
    Real... Ronaldo
    Atleti...Griezmann
    PSG...Di Maria or maybe even Cavani

14. PMFmdf

PMFmdf Member

May 15, 2016
    Yes, its fascinating to see some Real Madrid fans in the club section of BS forum questioning CR7 place in start eleven in his current form last month and, suddenly, some of them arguing here that he really deserved last year ballon d'or and should win this year too if Real win UCL, which is likely to happen btw. Yes, if Real wins, probably CR7 will win another ballon d'or, especially because juggernaut Madrid will eventually create many chances for him to score in semi or final and he just need a goal to overshadow Modric or Bale in the headlines. I know this is exciting for CR7 fans, but actually I do not think ballon d'or has that much weight in the legends rating. I was reading many random forums last week and notice how most people do not take it that serious anymore. Its common sense that Ronaldo is way past his best and possibly not even a top 5 player in the world anymore but has big chances to collect one more ballon. Personally, Im willing to see Lewandowski or Benzema as RM focal point in attack to make my definitive judgment on Ronaldo, Messi and Suarez. I know Im in minority here, but I do believe Lewa is not a lesser striker than Suarez at all. Hope one of the spanish giants go for him next season.

BocaFan and leadleader repped this.
  15. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hahahaha. Yeah, it's particularly amusing how they: "don't really care, just stating the facts: if Real Madrid wins, then CR7 has a realistic chance of winning the Ballon d'Or." It's always amusing to see how people who claim they don't care, who obvious do care, create the mental gymnastics by which to excuse what is currently being done via the Ballon d'Or.

I hope that more and more fans get to agree with the sentiments above, because it's utterly irrational how, as you mentioned yourself: how Ronaldo is not even a Top 3-5 player in the world anymore, but still is automatically expected to collect the Ballon d'Or if Real Madrid wins the Champions League (La Liga isn't even required for that, by the way). A majority of fans being well-aware of how full of shit the Ballon d'Or increasingly is, is definitely a step in the right direction - and for the sport overall; not just for the fans.

I think Lewa is too old at this point, to make the move to Real Madrid. Not to mention, that Ronaldo is going to be Real Madrid's focal point in attack, at the very least, for another season (at which point, Lewa will be even older than he currently is).

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    CR7 form last year while not spectacular was still the best of all players in the world. This season it isn't but he might win by default.

17. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't know about that. I feel like Dybala is more marketable, and the most marketable player at Juve.

Higuain is clearly a fantastic forward, but those misses in international finals for Argentina have hurt his reputation, and hence his marketability.

I know it seems completely irrational to why mistakes at the 2014 WC or 2015 and 2016 Copa would hurt Higuain's chances at the 2017 Ballon D'Or, but that is how this poll works. Higuain has a damaged reputation, therefore he cannot win the award.

If Dybala goes to Real/Barca for a massive transfer fee at the end of the season, his chances of winning the Ballon D'or will only increase, because there will be more attention on him. Again, this isn't very rational, but that's how this poll works.

18. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Manchester United are one of the greatest propaganda machines on earth. They have already convinced an entire fanbase that Pogba is up there with Modric and Vidal as the best midfielder in the world. They've also convinced people that Scholes inspired Barcelona (lol).

Pogba is a marketability machine. All those dabs/dancemoves and hairstyles make him stand out. This, combined with the fact that he is a reasonably good footballer (not as good as United would want you to believe), and that his team are improving under Mourinho, makes him a good candidate as next Ballon D'or winner.

If United win the league, that will be enough for Pogba to be in TOTY and maybe even top 3 in the Ballon D'or. If United win the CL by any chance, Pogba is pretty much guarenteed the Ballon D'or. His marketing team is even better than CR7's.

Griezmann is another one who will likely move to United in the summer for an enormous transfer fee. United have convinced their fans that some of their average players are actually top class, so there's no doubt that within about 6 months, Griezmann will be considered to be up there with Messi as the best in the world.

19. PMFmdf

PMFmdf Member

May 15, 2016
    OK, keep firm with this notion. CR7 choice to become less and less involved in the game in order to outscore Messi worked fine for him in the Ballon d'or subject, but not in the eyes of the fans. Look at this thread in a Manchester United forum, most people there talk about CR7 as a lesser version of R9, a superpoacher throughout most of his career. Some unfair statements there, but they are results of CR7 choice in his RM years.
    http://www.redcafe.net/threads/best-post-maradona-player-peak-level.425879/

20. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    To win the Balon, you still need to consider two huge assumptions.
    -Juve must win the CL (it's likely that the player awarded must be on the CL winning team)
    -If they do, it's more likely that Higuain will be the one scoring the most. He will have to in order for Juve to advance.

In this scenario, Higuain would have high profile conversions on top of a season where he should finish close to the European top scorer. Memories of his misses will be for Argentina, not Juve. Either way if he shows up on a big stage in the CL, that is what will count most.

Again, he and Juve would need to pull all this off.

As for Dybala, he has a lot of improve on. He is a fantastic player, but not at Higuain's level yet. My guess is that he will get to this class while at Juve. I highly doubt he will leave anytime soon. The key will be his new contract.

21. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    #146 ko242, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    You may be right compared to the general census but from the few resources i have gathered, most people put a real upside on dybala that higuan could only dream of. he's not there yet, like you said, but i would take dybala over higuain pretty much any day of the week.

and even if Juve win the champions league, i still find it very hard for higuain to win, though it is a possibility. he would pretty much have to perform on a level that he has never performed on before in the champions league by a great distance. on an individual level, i'm not sure if higuain has ever been considered a ballon d'or candidate, even being exposed to a top caliber team as madrid. he did have a very good season for napoli, last year but i just dont think higuain has the factor to fight for a ballon d'or spot, though i could be wrong.

honestly, i think he's kind of in the same boat as Benzema but even on a lower level. i mean, how many people would rate Higuain in the same category as Benzema? yet, Benzema wouldn't win any individual trophy considering the elite players solely based on a performance throughout the year. but who knows, maybe he will score many important goals at important moments if they did win the Champions League. and even then, i'm still not sure he would win it. i mean, you have players like Ribery in 13, Drogba in 12, sneijder in 10, who played a big role on their teams much higher than what higuain has done, yet they didn't win the award. granted, messi and ronaldo were there but you might get my point

22. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Higuaín has 22 goals and 2 assists in 26 starts for Juve in Serie A, CL, and Copa Italia. It would 100% require that Juve win the CL, but given that Higuaín is scoring at a rate of nearly 1 goal per match he is Juve's best attacker by far at the moment. It's actually very arguable that Higuaín has been Serie A's best player since joining the league. He smashed the goal scoring record that lasted for decades.

Dybala is a phenomenal talent and a very good player right now. There is little doubt about that. He has very high upside. On this Juve side though, Higuaín has been more important and their most fundamental attacker.

As far as his career, is Higuaín in the same category as Benzema? Without question, yes. He is pretty substantially more prolific than the Frenchman. Benzema also had the luxury of playing more time on an elite side at Real while Higuaín was carrying Napoli.

Higuaín: 193 goals 54 assists in 319 apps
    Benzema: 158 goals 76 assists in 310 apps

Guys like Higuaín, Lewa, Robben, Ibra etc haven't been mentioned for Balon because Messi and Ronaldo have monopolized the trophy in this era. Otherwise some of their seasons would have warranted a strong consideration. Generational midfielders in Xavi, Pirlo, and Iniesta couldn't break the Messi-Ronaldo stronghold either.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  23. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    at least you have a credible point. so your argument is valid, so i can't say you are wong. on the flip side, i don't look primarily at goals. i look at the amount of plays that dybala is able to create for his team with his dribbling and his passing as well as his ability to score goals. history has a way of judging players for more than just goals. In addition, Dybala's champions league in 15/16 was probably better than any season that benzema played in CL and thats including the 2 times Higuain played with Real Madrid and reached the semifinals in 11 and 12.

do you really believe that Higuain is placed in the same category as Benzema??? Benzema a player who has played for arguably the greatest and most elite team in the world for several years and has managed to be a consistent starter??? a player who has won 2 champions league in the last 3 years since higuain left??? a player who sent higuain to a lower level league like the serie A because he wasn't getting enough playing time. on a team who is not only currently sitting in 1st place with the likes of Sevilla, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid but has a reasonably good chance to progress to the CL semifinal again and possibly the final. Don't underestimate the difficulty of being a regular starter on an elite team like Real Madrid. Do you think it's a coincidence that teams like bayern, barcelona, psg, and madrid have the best players while the players who can't get time go to lower level teams???

are you kidding me? lewandowski, robben, and ibra have all been mentioned in the 23 man short list. thats exactly what i'm talking about. as long as higuain has been playing i doubt he has even made the list, though i could be wrong.

24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    To a great extent the Ballon d'Or has become ordinary 'cow trade' / 'cattle trade', as we call it here, but that has been (unfortunately) for longer the case with other aspects of sports and football like hosting (search for the euro 2020, euro 2024 and euro 2028 deal between England and Germany) and seeding of teams in tournaments. Some teams are always seeded, irrespective of recent or past results - in fact, the statutes by FIFA themselves say that "commercial reasons" might underpin the seeding decision (which can have great effects in terms of fatigue, yellow card accumulation etc.).

It is a result of modern football that also the Ballon d'Or and especially the FIFA award has become increasingly (and more openly) subjected to the same type of cattle trade. Although there's still some 'secrecy' around it, the expansion of the voter pool means it cannot be totally hidden.

That being said, I actually think CR7 is without any reasonable chance for the 2017 awards.

25. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Hm, I very much doubt this (regardless of merit). Most popular player in the world, most recent Ballon D'or winner, has been in contention for every last year in the decade, undisputed main (keyword main, not best) player in a team that will at the very least win La Liga, seemingly no obvious winning Ballon candidates to contend with, etc. etc.

He'll most definitely have a chance, regardless of whether he deserves it.

artielange84 repped this.