Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6876 carlito86, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    The team that scored significantly more in the league also scored significantly less than Liverpool in the champions league
    No mention of this of course

2017/18 champions league
    Ronaldo 15 goals(3 pen)+3 assists out of 33 team goals
    55% direct involvement

Salah 10 goals (0 pen)+5 assists out of 41 team goals
    37% direct involvement

Ronaldo without penalties
    45% involvement

Salah with ronaldos penalties
    44% direct involvement

Man of the match awards
    Ronaldo:4
    Salah:1
    ModrIc:0

2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ko242 repped this.
  3. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    #6878 Bavarian14, May 4, 2019
    Let's be honest Ronaldo was much better in the last el classico of 2017/18 receiving a whoscored rating of 7.94 while playing only 45 minutes. He dribbled, contributed in defense, was involved in the build up of the goal scored by him. Compared to Salah who only got 7.05 in the last match.

However comparing a UCL Semi final to Supercopa is highly disingenuous. Not only Barcelona was devastated by the departure of Neymar they found no replacement for him and was playing Deulofeu instead. Barcelona also lost the following game 2-0 despite the absence of Ronaldo. Their defense was abysmal & it was probably the second game of EV as a manager

carlito86 and celito repped this.
  4. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
  5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6880 carlito86, May 4, 2019
    He has at least 10 performances vs barcelona at that same level
    Whether it be dribbling (13 attempted against a team that had almost 60% possession)
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/335486/Live/Spain-La-Liga-2009-2010-Real-Madrid-Barcelona

Or here
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/633714/Live/Spain-La-Liga-2012-2013-Barcelona-Real-Madrid

Even comparing "like for like"
    Ronaldo has MOTM performances against Barcelona teams that completely dominated possession
    (unlike Liverpool recently having more/as much possession with flipping Henderson/milner in midfield.
    players prime xavi/iniesta would dominate with their eyes closed)
    Ronaldo was in the 2011 copa del rey final a 1 man show with no service

He either didn't watch it or wasn't following "soccer" at the time
    Its most probably the latter considering leadleader claimed not so long ago that Barcelona won la Liga in 2011/12 almost putting his life on it
    No genuine Barcelona fan would have such a serious lapse in memory

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That first video is supposed to be a great performance ? Bad example. He was active but there was almost zero end product to everything he did . He even had some space to work and 2 good scoring chances taking weak shots . But thanks for reminding me how Alves used to own him 1 x 1.

7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes you are right
    His crosses and shooting was off but dribbling mostly on point
    You cant expect more dribbling end product against such a dominant team I don't think

The bar is pretty low anyways if we're being honest
    Salah was hardly good vs Barcelona let alone amazing or whatever he deluded himself into believing

CRs best performances vs Barcelona are the
    Copa del rey final 2011
    The supercopa 2012/13 (his best by far ive seen but apparently this came in a preseason friendly)

La liga away 2011/12
    Copa del rey 2012/13

8. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Didnt Ronaldo score a double vs Barca in the 2012-13 la liga season?

9. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
  10. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yes. Its funny how someone can just waste his talent for so many years. I didnt think it was possible lol. When one says in next 3 years he will grow into this or that you would feel like 3 years is abundant amount of time to accomplish that but it turns out injuries, greed, a bit of brazilian mentality can do this.

I dont think he will match ronaldo (and messi) anymore. I would still ?perhapse? argue that by the age of 24 Neymar had superior career than Ronaldo by 24.

What the fck did you guys do of my ucl thread.. i was planning on updating it every niw or then
    Since its closed, now i'll have to post my ratings here

Ronaldo 2019 ucl KO matches:

Atleti Away 8/10
    Atleti home 10/10
    Ajax away 7/10 (although not sure because i watched it silmuteniously with the other game)
    Ajax home 7/10 (absolutely not sure. Seen few moments sporadically. I mostly used highlights and statistics for this one)

Average rating: 8.00

Messi 2019

Lyon away 8/10
    Lyon home 8/10
    ManU away 7/10
    ManU home 9/10
    Liver home 8/10 (if free kick was deflection which i think it was. If not, straight 10/10)
    Liver away 7/10 (leaning towards 8/10 or perhapse 7.5/10)

Average rating: 7.83

Disclaimer: all ratings are my own personal view. Havent seen any ratings from any football magazine so thats that.

With which one you disagree the most?

11. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Salah will probably win the Ballon

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Based on what...."fluke" goals in the brasiliero lol

Neymar 27 years old
    0 ballon dors
    3rd place(2015)
    0 CL as protagonist
    0 CL best player
    0 european golden shoe
    0 times lead in assists in europe

Ronaldo 24 years old
    1 ballon dor 2008
    2 times runner up(07 and 09)
    1 CL as main protagonist(07/08)
    1 CL best player(07/08)
    1 european golden shoe(07/08)
    Lead assists in europe (2006/07 23 assists from midfield)

13. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Van Dijk seems far more popular....

14. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Djik changed Liverpool. He was phenomenal today. What VVD did with Liverpool is like what Robert Downey Jr did with the Iron Man character.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  15. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017

16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yea
    If he scores 10 goals including 2 bicycle kicks in the CL final

17. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    24 year old ronaldo didnt have ronaldo and messi to beat for ballon dor etc.

Arguments i would use are confederation cup 2013 performance, stellar wc 2014 performance including the clutch openning goal vs Croatia to essentially win the game, phenomenal run of form in the slabsence of Messi 2015 in 2015/16 season.
    Remember Neymar is 1992, which would mean everything up to the end of 2016 year. For ronaldo everything up to 2009.

Neymar snatched several big ucl goals already, including most notably 3 versus bayern in semis. I dont see why would we ignore his career in Santos. It was a young Neymar out there, far from his prime, and he did stuff that arguably no prime player could do.

And i said perhapse argue. I am not sure neymar had better career by the age of 24, he certainly isnt far from cristianos. I would have to think it through to deide which one had better career by the age 24

18. Alessandro10

Alessandro10 Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How is Van Nistelrooy better technically then Aguero?

19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They are technically comparable especially the younger RVN who was more mobile,contributed to build up as much as pep version of aguero and scored MANY goals of a high technical degree

RVN was the deadliest hitman in europe in his prime(aguero was never that)
    80 goals+19 assists in 101 matches(his first 2 manchester united seasons)
    On a team that scored significantly less than manchester city

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchester-united-goals-and-assists-1987-88-today.396084/
    And he did it In the premier league and champions league(aguero even with a squad that cost 1 billion dollars that scores 150+ goals couldnt score more than 8 Cl goals in a single season lol)

This and the channel was blocked but thankfully it was re uploaded
    You should like this(your thread on technical players)
    For a poacher his touch wasnt inferior to anyone except romario

20. Alessandro10

Alessandro10 Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Aguero always had and has a better dexterity with the football. Aguero also scores goals that are difficult in terms of technique.

21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Confed cup is an argument
    This is outrageous

In that short period of 15/16 neymar looked like the greats for sure(even in the first half of 17/18 albeit in a mickey mouse league)
    Unlucky for him his great form never coincided with the business half of the season

And when it did his all round game(assists) was non existent(CL 14/15 prime shevchenco couldve easily scored them goals)

No one in history except few could do what CR did in the KO stage of 08/09(no service required at all)
    And the one man show against roma 06/07(6 goal involvements)

22. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Why confederation cup wouldnt matter? Is it because 2017 Ronaldo, coming from his most dominant ucl season, couldnt do shit in it? Based on Ronaldos emotions throughout it, i would definitely say it mattered to him.

How is this an argument? You say that 23 year old Neymar is as good of a finisher as a prime Shevchenko? Nice.

I am just waiting for you to say that that 2015 ucl doesnt count because he played with prime Messi, that would be cherry on top.

Nice way to debate just by simply saying it doesnt count.. in that spirit:

Ronaldos 2007 performance vs Roma doesnt count. Did you seriously just mention that as an argument? Outrageous

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If he scored 25 goals in a single edition of the confed cup it wouldnt increase my estimation of him

It is a overglorified friendly competition with a plastic cup(a dress rehearsal for the world cup)
    Shevchencos scoring+dribbling prime came at 23-25 years old(99-01)

Including 10 goals in a single CL season at 23 years old( 98/99)

exactly as neymar 14/15 who was a striker or WF
    Nice

24. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When I first joined Bigsoccer in 2004 there felt like a changing of the guard. There was an insane amount of teenage talent coming through obviously Messi and Ronaldo established themselves on another level but after Euro 2004 Rooney was probably considered the best teenager in the world, until Mbappe he was the best teeanger I'd ever seen apart from Brazilian Ronaldo. Maybe only the British press but I'm an Englishman but sorry. But I remember Tim Vickery saying Messi was the young best player he''d ever seen.

But you had Messi, Ronaldo, RVP, Robbe, Jose Antonio Reyes (remember him? what a talent, RVP was signed as his cheaper back up), Aguero, Torres, Tevez, Iniesta. It sort of feels like we are going through a similar thing with Mbappe, Jesus is mint some of the other French kids are crazy good, Sane I dont know about the Bundesliga Germans, the English kids, -Sancho in particular, the Dutch are back in a big way. It's shame Ajax will get sold off, they are a couple years away from being the best team in Europe but so were Monaco. But I'm really happy Ajax are a big club gain.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, VvD seems more likely than Salah, though I still think Messi is front runner. Firstly van Dijk hasn’t won anything yet. Also defenders don’t tend to do well in Ballon d’Or voting. Finally the votes could be split across multiple Liverpool players... Mane, Salah, VvD... . But only one way you can vote if you vote for a Barca player.