Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    He definitely does. You don't achieve what he has or get to that level unless you have such a mentality. But having negative factors like the father he has, does detract from that. Neymar's just another in the line of poor, dumb souls tricked by 'loved' ones (Icardi, Rabiot, etc.) that take a major hand in doing more harm than good to their careers.

Blood and money don't mix.

2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Relative to the greats Neymar has achieved nothing
    I repeat achieved nothing

What is his confed cup/olympics/ligue1 as a main protagonist compared to Cruyffs 3x consecutive European cups+legendary run up to World Cup final
    Not even a drop in the ocean

Neymar is a rare talent who’s achievements really pale in comparisons to previous and current greats
    What happened to the winning mentality in consecutive CL QFs against Atletico Madrid
    Messi is apportioned a huge part of the blame but what about Neymar
    Why could he do nothing
    Which Copa Del Rey final did he take over in Spain
    Club World Cup final
    ?????
    Where was the winning mentality please tell me/us

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think his father is as bad an influence as people make it out to be. In the shadiness of of the deals I agree. But nothing with respect to his performance on the field. If anything it kept him as a hard worker and away from other unhealthy influences that plagued Ronaldinho for example. That's just my opinion. If Neymar doesn't achieve what people expect him to achieve, I think perhaps people's expectations of how good he could be were just too high.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is this the same guy that got on my case when I pointed out how well assisted Ronaldo's big goals were ? And how some of those goals in his Madrid first CL title were meaningless. And now you're belittling Neymar's goals ? C'mon man. Show some consistency.

Neymar was an integral part of that team. I never said his goals were decisive or difficult in nature.

Anyways, what you're arguing about has nothing little to do with winning mentality.

5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6780 carlito86, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    CRonaldo has decisive KO stage performances stretching back 13 years since he was 21 years old so he will not help your case at all

A winning mentality is pretty self explanatory
    a competetive edge,a desire to be the best you can,being the go to guy when the going gets tough

Did Neymar ever look like a game changer in big games and the match was at a stalemate(against an evenly matched opponent)
    His lack of motivation or mental fortitude is why he will never be at that level of greatest ever players

Greatness isn’t just stats and sombreros in the centre pitch ok
    The beautiful game is nice and I’m not saying it isn’t
    Like every sport its greatest players are those who defined their era with titles and moments forever associated with the history of the sport

Right now Neymar is a generational great like Henry and Luis figo who could never bring their best form to the huge stages(at club or international level)
    Ronaldinho should be brought down to their level because his peak just really wasn’t all that long
    And as has been covered already even at his peak he wasn’t consistent enough(relative to almost all timers)

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ronaldo has played Atletico Madrid in the CL a grand total of 7 time I believe now. 4 times he played them in or around seasons when Atletico shut Barca down. 2 of them which were in Finals where Ronaldo was absolutely irrelevant except for PK shootout. He had 0 goals in those games. All his 3 goals came in one game where he was finishing off chances. What happened to his winning mentality in all those 6 other games ? Including this last one.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Winning mentality is to achieve your own potential and to constantly work to improve yourself. It's not defined by being one of the greatest of all time. That's a different attribute. Some people have higher potentials than others. That's what you don't get. Not to mention, it's a team sport.

The one aspect you can argue about Neymar not having the right mentality is his move to PSG. Although I don't think he went there to escape the challenge La Liga. He went to find a challenge that's IMO misguided and ego feeding.

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You have obviously developed an unhealthy obsession with CR so much so that feel the need to constantly reference a player that has no bearing on this conversation.

Check ronaldos record against Atletico Madrid home and away in the CL/league/Copa Del Rey
    In finals/SFs/title deciding matches
    Case closed

Like I said he will not help your case here at all

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You mentioned him among the ones who have a winning mentality. Then you mentioned big games, then Atletico. I am showing you that in the big games (that everybody seems to only care nowadays) which are the CL (not league not CDR), this big winning mentality player did little to nothing in 6 out of 7 of those games. Only bringing this up because you used it as an example for Neymar not showing a winning mentality.

Don't cop out.

All I am saying is that your definition of winning mentality is skewed.

10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    nobody cares about league and Copa Del Rey finals
    Since when?
    All finals/KO rounds matter of course some more than others

You are obviously hinting that Messi’s league form over the past few years hasn’t won him the Ballon Dor
    But he has always finished top 2 with the exception of last year(a World Cup year)
    The same happened with CR in 2010 who had an outstanding club campaign but was ranked behind iniesta
    The 50th best player during 09/10 according to Castrol
    And the 20th highest rated La Liga player in 09/10 according to whoscored

11. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Talking about Neymar as a failure is far too hyperbole and of course premature. What if he comes back in April and PSG win the CL with him having a few signature performances? And he wins the Copa America and the Golden Ball of the tournament which is probably more plausible by the way...

As for Ronaldinho, his peak is a short and how much you want to penalize him for that will vary from person to person. But no one can deny that Dinho at his best was as good or close to as good as any player ever.

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There are actually many people who dispute this

And there is also alot of talk of his peak directly coinciding with a weak era
    2003-2006
    Zidane/Raul/R9/figo/Rivaldo/Del piero had already declined leaving the way clear for two players (himself included)to dominate the discussion

Players like totti played for a unfashionable Roma and wasn’t stylish enough(in terms of exaggerated technical ability)
    Shevchenco won the Ballon Dor arguably after his prime
    Probably only nedved was left along with Gerrard/Lampard/young Kaka
    This was an even weaker era then 77-81 with rumminge/rensenbrink/keegan which is commonly referenced as the weakest period of competition in Ballon Dor history

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6788 carlito86, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    @celito
    https://www.businessinsider.com/ney...cristiano-ronaldo-thrives-on-2019-2?r=US&IR=T
    @ko242
    Winning mentality>chokers
    Platini>zico
    Zidane>laudrup
    Van Basten>ibrahimovic
    Gerd Muller>Romario
    Rumminge>Henry
    Rivaldo>Neymar
    Batistuta>aguero

Talent
    Zico>platini
    Laudrup>Zidane
    Van Basten>ibrahimovic
    Romario>gerd Muller
    Henry>rumminge
    Neymar>Rivaldo
    Aguero>batistuta

You can usually rely on the former to produce the goods at crucial times, hence the reason they are always ranked higher from a historical perspective

14. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Shit festival and anti-Brazilian behaviour.....

More and more common in this forum.

15. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For one season he gave that impression yes. Not for four as it is sometimes made out, and certainly not 2004-05.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Can't even say that Neymar is a choker because he has simply managed to avoid big matches for the most part so far in his career. After playing a zillion friendlies for Brasil, he got injured just as WC 2014 was heating-up. Similar story at PSG. Been there almost 2 full seasons and played 1 big match.

He was pretty good in Copa Libertadores and the treble-winning season at Barca though.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You obviously haven't read my definition of winning mentality. Or most likely just choose to ignore it.

Your post screams of Cup vs League performances. Winning mentality wins Cups. Chokers don't. I think that much is clear.

18. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6793 carlito86, Feb 27, 2019
    Even as you pointed out this was more like 3/4 of a season(ending around March/April)
    a purple patch of form where he looked like the greats

do you think his 05/06 CL during certain matches he touched the level of top 10?
    Still for me it is a whole tier the best level of
    maradona vs Belgium 86
    maradona vs lazio 84/85
    Maradona vs juventus 89/90
    Amongst others
    (Cruyff vs Sweden,vs Inter Milan,real Madrid)
    Zidane vs Ajax/Brazil (06)
    R9 vs Valencia/compostela
    Rivaldo vs Valencia(I never saw dinho do this in my life)
    Etc......

Call me a hater but I think he just got overhyped in a weak era 2004-2006
    A transition period with many declining stars waning
    He was like Mágico González at most who for a lowly Cádiz was as magical and at his very best as influential

19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Surely Ronaldinho his game against a Valencia or Real Madrid should be higher regarded than Ronaldo vs open house Compostela?

20. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6795 carlito86, Feb 27, 2019

0:38-0:44 created some space with a skill for the shot
    4:39 dribble past 3 players in 1 run+created chance
    5:18 dribbled past 3 and fouled
    There is also a deflected goal in here somewhere that he scored

Compostela was a joke defensively(I agree)
    Valencia has always being a solid mid table La Liga team

even if you said Real Madrid 05/06 is better gosh it’s still 1 game out of 500+ he played in his career
    For just one or few games Mágico González could look as good as maradona(no exaggeration)
    Heck for 10 mins lewandowski looked like ferenc puskas 2.0(against Wolfsburg)

Even Neymar against djion 17/18 with worst defensive record ever looked like Johan Cruyff
    Still it proved nothing without consistency over several seasons(at least)

21. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    When I say not serious I mean the shit he does like holding the ball on the halfway line, shielding the ball making no forward process. A little extra trick here and there instead of being more effective. CR7 and Messis mentality is goal first, everything else is secondary.
    I'm not saying Neymar parties like Ronaldinho or R9 for that matter (by R9s and Ronaldinhos admission, they both agreed that R9 partied more). But with brazilians entertainment seems to be a huge part of their culture. And there are positives and negatives. Of course there are brazilians like Kaka. Who are serious and may be more professional but they are not as memorable as the brazilians with flair that are demonstrated in the Brazilian culture. Messi and Ronaldo have a mix of both in their games tending more of the side of seriousness and anything to be the best at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing entertainment.

By the way, Vinicious is a player who seems to be a more direct player like R9 and doesnt do unnecessary things like Neymar. Hopefully he continues to improve and play at a high level for many years. He is a real talent. Looks like he could become better than Neymar. And I stress ''could''

carlito86 repped this.
  22. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    You are confusing talent with things that can be learned even at a later are. CR7 at 18 had terrible off the ball movement and terrible decision making. His finishing was poor. Even his so called 'talent' was hardly talent. His mentality leads me to believe that his urge to be the best drove him to crazy hours to improve his ball skills. The 'talent' he had was his physique. Quaresma was considered more talented than CR7.
    Tom Brady is a perfect example. Arguably the greatest quarterback in the history of the game but not because of his so called 'talent'. When he came out of college hoping to get drafted by a pro team, nobody recognised him as having 'talent'.

Talent is greatly misunderstood by the masses. They see the end result of someones hard work and dedication and label it 'talent'. Which it isnt at all. Supposedly, society likes to dumb things down in addition to giving themselves an excuse as to why they arent successful and label other people great in their field as talented.

I still believe Neymar has more footballing talent than CR7. But CR7 like Tom Brady has something that Neymar lacks

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The quaresma thing got debunked a while ago
    At best they were considered to be equally talented at a youth level and up to 18 years
    After this CR left him in the dust with his Euro 04 performance making Euro team of the tournament at barely 19

I agree though that CR had to make HUGE strides in pretty much every single aspect of his game to become the player he is today(or was at his peak 2007-2014)

ko242 repped this.
  24. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    First he should learn how to score goals.

ko242 repped this.
  25. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Rio carnival is shit :rolleyes:
    You are literally the first person I’ve ever heard to say that