Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nobody said he was completely inept at scoring them but a low proportion of his goals came from headers

Van Basten and Romario would have a clear edge on R9 in this department
    As would arguably Luis Suarez

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    More free kick goals than any other team in the top 5 leagues over the past 4+ seasons!

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, you used to word mediocre. Sounds like not to far from inept. While Messi only relatively weak close to Pelé.

In that video R9 scored 46 header goals. There is a good possibility that's his whole list of headed goals. That's 11.1%. Curious to see other players stats. CR7 is at around 17%.

Messi has scored 24 in his career so far out of 632. That's 3.8%.

So I don't see how you seem to rate R9 < Messi just by the way you described them. Now granted, Messi's position for most of his career and Barca's game is not predicated on crossing. R9 was a striker for most of his career specially after his operations. But R9's teams weren't looking for him to head the ball either. R9 admittedly never liked heading the ball.

4. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    46 headers I will have to review that total because it doesn’t seem like a right number
    I remember reviewing all his goals for European clubs Madrid/Barcelona/inter and it never even reached 20 header goals so these added goals scored in lesser leagues seem a bit suspicious to me
    Even on the footballs greatest documentary series I remember zico saying R9 was weak in the air

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It includes his PSV / Cruzeiro / Corinthians / Brazil goals. Just go over the video.

It didn't help that he became fat, so leaping wasn't a thing for him. But you can see he has a few very good headers with very good technique in there.

6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Congratulations to Messi for scoring 2 FK goals in a single match
    Still away to go to match CR7 who scored 2 direct FKs in a single match on 3 occasions (once in England And twice in Spain)

Even so mihajlovic vs Sampdoria still remains the benchmark

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That was Messi's 43rd and 44th FK goals. He is 9 away from CR7.

3 in one game is pretty insane.

Rivaldo once scored one over the wall and another one under from almost the same position.

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It seems a lot of his headers came from great positional sense rather then great heading technique
    A lot of the time he is unmarked in in the 6 yard box with only the GK to beat

I never saw any diving headers a la Van Basten/CR7/Pele or even headers where he is being tightly marked and still manages to put jump defenders
    Nevertheless he was obviously not bad and it’s understandable why I may of missed quite a few of his headers because they were scored for Cruzeiro

It also doesn’t help that the widely held perception in Europe during his playing career was that heading wasn’t his strong point
    Even you alluded to this when you said R9 didn’t like to score them
    https://www.planetfootball.com/nost...uide-to-ronaldo-fan-sites-of-the-early-2000s/

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He is 16 FK goals away from Cristiano Ronaldo

Considering ronaldos piss poor ratio from set pieces over the past 4-5 years I still wouldn’t wager against Messi equalling his record
    It’s crazy because in 2012 this was a quality of ronaldo that everyone agreed Messi couldn’t touch
    Tables have turned now

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, I am pulling my info from here.

https://michelacosta.com/en/messi-vs-cristiano-goals-free-kicks-hat-tricks/

Seems very detailed site to be wrong about it.

In those 60 it includes 2 indirect FKs from inside the box. I'd place that in a different category. I am guessing the other 5 are from club friendlies. Which are not typically counted nowadays. I recognized 2 in there. Just a guess.

11. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So the 5th best player scored a hattrick :)

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That source is known for getting Messi’s statistics correct but never ronaldos

Micheal Costa is a known Portuguese hater as are most Brazilians I have encountered on this forum

In his propaganda piece below he opens by saying
    Cristiano Ronaldo is undoubtably one of the best players in football history
    Then he proceeds to completely misconstrue data to the point that the only inference one can draw is that ronaldo cannot be one of the best players of all time
    https://michelacosta.com/en/10-myths-legends-cristiano-ronaldo/

It is like leadleader who will insist that he never denies ronaldo is an all timer
    Yet at one point or another he has claimed each and everyone of ronaldos prime seasons are overrated
    Which begs the question how can a player who so many “deficiencies “ even warrant a discussion for all time status
    It is completely crazy

13. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Edit: 5th best player scored 2 goals and 1 assist. He could’ve scored one more though:D

14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo de Lima:

“We are different in terms of our position on the field and our way of interpreting the game, even if Cristiano does now play in a more central position," Ronaldo told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"He has a different way of approaching the goal with respect to how I did, even if our goal was the same.
    "I think we are maybe equal in our desire to score goals but it is no coincidence that Cristiano has reached 33 years of age in this kind of form.

"There are so few players who take care of their body like he does and still has so much desire to improve.
    I’m not saying the way we approach training is completely opposite but it is certainly different.

"I trained because I had to, he does it because he loves it."
    We are nine years apart but the years in which we played are very different," explained the former Brazil international.
    "I don't want to say that the time I played in was more difficult but we faced different situations with different teams.

"In terms of the Ballon d'Or, we the players made it clear and everyone knows it, it is a prize that is determined by the results.
    In the World Cup, Luka Modric and Croatia had a better tournament than Portugal and Cristiano did."
    https://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2018/12/07/5c0aa36dca4741fc368b458b.html

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Most goals in league games from free-kicks in the past 4 years:

19: Messi

18: Juventus
    14: Lyon, Real Madrid, Roma
    13: Bayern
    12: Sampdoria, Monaco, PSG
    11 Chelsea, Liverpool, Milan

It's pointless comparing Messi to players again. We'll start comparing him to clubs. Out of this world.

ko242 repped this.
  16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is not surprising (him and Ronaldo have more CL goals than all but nine clubs), but as usual this is a highly misleading way to look at it.

What we should look at for this is free kick conversion rate. Something like this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8my4fb/oc_top_10_free_kick_conversion_rates_in_top/

If you have many more attempts (and with Ronaldo going 50+ consecutive free kick attempts without scoring), then yes, you get that number.

ko242 repped this.
  17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    CBCEB89A-02D5-4C6E-A571-3E7761D37939.jpeg
    Correct as of April 2018

18. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    But don't forget. Pele was just one part of a great whole. I would love to see Pele 70 lift an Argentina WC14 and 18 the way he played in 70. Simply too passive.
    Pele not running at defenders and being the focal point of the attack isn't going to do shit when you play for Argentina WC14 or 18.

Of course, in terms of pure football, Pele 70 was ideal. His decision making and technique was on point. But so was everybody else's on the team. What the hell has Aguero or Higuain ever done at a WC. And don't even get me started on their weak ass midfield and defense. Only Mascherano gets a mention. Everyone else is unforgettable pretty much. Although I think the keeper hasn't been decent

19. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    Good question. But of course I watched all games.
    Name one player on Brazil who was not a top performer in that WC??? Every damn position was top notch!!!
    Personally, I don't even think Tostao was as great as everyone made him out to be. But everyone does. So I will accept that my judgement is flawed.
    A Passive Pele in 70 is not enough to lift a modern day Argentina to WC victory.

20. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    I'll tell you this, I've heard more people on this forum praise Jairzinho in 70 as better than Pele 70. Don't forget, when we see journalists and other so called football experts, a name like Pele will get thrown out there because of his name.
    I mean even Pele himself says he won 3 WCs as if he did much of anything in 62. He was as good as useless.

Also, when I make these statements, these are first and foremost my opinion.
    Messi no doubt deserved in WC14. No doubt!
    But from what I saw from Eusebio 66, Garrincha 62, and Jairzinho 70 were extremely impactful. Because Jairzinho played for such a class team, I wouldn't compare it with Messi.
    But from what I personally saw from Garrincha 62, Eusebio 66, and Kempes 78, I put those as the best individual performances I've ever seen.
    Dare I say it, I've only seen 2 games of Brazil from the WC58 and Didi was the best player supposedly. From what I saw in 62, the way Didi performed his 58 WC performance is probably one of the best of all time. You can even see his authority over other players on freekicks in WC58.

It's hard to judge Messi's just because he is playing with so many shit players. At the same token Messi in WC was coming off his worst season, 13-14. Had it been WC 12, that would be interesting!!!!

But Messi didn't play that great in the Semi's and final. He played pretty good in the QF. So intend to agree with @carlito86 in saying Pele's 70 is better than Messi 14.

21. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Extraordinary

22. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Is it me or do you guys feel 18/19 Ronaldo is a better dribbler than his previous 16/17 & 17/18 versions?

Afghan-Juventus, ko242 and Edhardy repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  24. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6374 carlito86, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    I find it amazing that you could appreciate the subtleties of And elusiveness of a player like iniesta but not tostao
    I fell in love with his style of play when I first watched the BBC documentary “boys from Brazil” I must only been 10 at the time.

Tostao was Peles foil guy,drawing defenders away from him,creating chances some that he scored and some he missed
    Remember it was him who laid down that beautifully weighted through ball pass for Peles feint miss against Uruguay

At 4:12

He assisted Pelés goal vs Romania
    He did all the work for jairzinhos goal vs England with a dribble on bobby Moore
    and of course Pele got credited for a simple 2-3 yard sideway pass to
    Jairzinho and the guy who Really does the work gets no credit
    He directly assisted clodoaldo in the SF with some great visionary play and in the 2nd half assisted jairzinho

Tostao to Pele in 70 was what prime iniesta was to Messi for Barcelona except that tostao was a more productive player
    So out of all people he is the kind of player you should appreciate most.
    Between 67-69 I believe there is a school of thought that tostao was the best player in Brazil especially with “the king” retiring from
    The NT and only coming back shortly before the World Cup

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Yep .... that's what got him up to number 5 in the world :)