Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #6251 robnycus, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Only Real Madrid fans voted then in 4 different voting awards. lol

There's always been balon d'or and Fifa best player awards + Golden ball (World cup best player).
    The only new one is UEFA best player award.

If someone else would have won one of these, you can question his merit because there were clear arguments for others who also won.. .. but when so many people unequivocally voted for him, using 4 different methodologies it is more than likely that the ones who are wrong are those who disagree with the results.

I always wonder who people consider the experts to be, and by what measure.

2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ok so what’s the case for modric being a deserving Ballon D’Or winner?
    perhaps we should start thread and present arguments both for and against his case

I think terms such as “he lead” and “he captained”trophy winning teams are either grossly exaggerated or misinterpreted
    Being a captain of a trophy winning team should not mean you take all the plaudits.it simply doesn’t work like that

I have also yet to see a single Madrid fan who is convinced modric was THE best player in any of the competitions played last season.
    I actually don’t blame modric was he meant to refuse the award(I don’t think so)

Every four years the Ballon D’Or becomes a World Cup circle jerk
    In fact there is no exception to this rule over the past 20 years

In 1998 zidane could lose the Serie A foreign player of the year and World Cup golden ball to R9
    2 goals in a World Cup final was enough to supersede anything R9 did in the mind of voters even if he zidane wasn’t even the best juventus player let alone worlds best player

In 2002 R9 could play only 10 games of the 01/02 club season
    Yet scoring 8 goals in 7 matches against the likes of turkey,China,Belgium and a highly unimpressive Germany side was enough to clinch the Ballon D’Or

In 2006 “captaining a World Cup winning team” was enough for cannavaro to win albeit he had one highly impressive defensive display in that tournament

In 2010 and 2014 the respective greatness of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo was just to hard to ignore
    Even so look how close iniesta came to winning the 2010 Ballon D’Or of the back of a winning goal in the World Cup
    Iniesta himself admitted he was at a poor level in 2009/10 because he was mourning the death of a close friend and Espanyol defender Daniel Jarque
    Castrol did not list him amongst the top 10 players of that World Cup and ranked him 50th best player of the 2009/10 club season
    the undeniable power of the World Cup when it comes to influencing voters is what ultimately won modric the award

The narrative of “leading a underdog” to a World Cup final evokes memories of past greats whether or not his performances actually justifies that tag
    (He lead them with the armband not a series of inspirational performances and that is the crucial difference here)

Bavarian14 repped this.
  3. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I am not here to convince you. The Balon D'or has a criteria and if you disagree with it, is fine..
    These awards will always result in unhappy fans when they realize their favorite player did not win.. if not ask Cristiano's sister and see how she took it.

4. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6254 carlito86, Dec 4, 2018
    I’m pretty sure you yourself don’t even know what the criteria is.
    so how could you be so confident in a process that determines modric was a deserving winner when the evidence suggests otherwise and the criteria upon which voters decide who was the best player isn’t exactly transparent

The comment you made about his sisters was a largely irrelevant(since when where they an authority to quote from LOL)
    Do you expect them to come out and say any player is better then their brother?
    Their opinion holds absolutely no weight whatsoever when it comes to voters deciding who was the best player

5. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Obviously in a WC year the performance there adds a lot of weight.. over the performance in a domestic league.

I mentioned his sis as an example of frustrated fans / fanboys when their favorite player does not win.. not in reference to how voters should vote.

6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6256 carlito86, Dec 4, 2018
    I agree that in a World Cup year World Cup performances should hold more weight than those in a champions league or league context
    Which brings the question what exactly did modric do so special at the World Cup that we can overlook his rather anonymous showings at club level?

Matter of fact what did modric do for Croatia at the World Cup that was so special to have him ranked 18 places ahead of rakitic in the Ballon D’Or?

On a sidenote World Cup performances used to considered great once upon a time because of what you did in the knockout stages
    It seems as if there is a reverse trend(the groupstages are more important nowadays)
    Very strange

7. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Omg.. didn't he win the Golden ball?
    You have to discredit that one too then.

If someone else would have been awarded that trophy like Mbappe, Giezman or Cristiano perhaps they've had a shot a winning the Balon D'or.

This is why I said that Modric winning it this year will help shift some of the culture that we been seeing over the last decade or so.. where the best always translated to the one who scores the most goals, which overshadows the importance of midfielders like Modric in a team.

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Effectively what you are saying is we aren’t allowed to question the validity of certain awards without being accused of being fanboys
    In a World Cup year I reckon they should just cancel the Ballon D’Or award
    The reality is in a World Cup year nobody stands a chance of winning the Ballon D’Or against a golden ball winner (unless they put up prime Messi And ronaldo numbers in the league and champions league which is impossible)

This is a trend goes back 50 years if not more and was only briefly broken in 2010 and 2014 because of the level Messi and Ronaldo reached in those years.

9. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    And yes, I do believe that only fanboys are the ones questioning Luka winning it this year.
    You can question it all you like as far as I am concerned.

10. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
  11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  12. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would've expected that even a diehard Ronaldo fan like you would've been wise or at least intuitive enough to understand the OBVIOUS flaw to the fallacious logic above... Ronaldo probably (if not certainly) has a very low count of pre-assists given his role, more than anything else because of Ronaldo's signature high volume shooting, which greatly precludes him from delivering pre-assists, at the same time that Ronaldo certainly - and this can't possibly be stressed enough - also fails to score enough extra-goals so as to make up for the fact that he is relatively mediocre in terms of pre-assists and/or in terms of build up play to goals not scored by him.

Ronaldo recycles the ball on the wings a lot of the time, but when he plays centrally he is almost always looking to take a shot or looking to pre-assist himself... Conversely, a player like Dennis Bergkamp in his Arsenal years plays a lot less on the wings, plays a lot of the time on the more difficult/crowded central areas, and looks to create well before reducing himself to another speculative shot; the result is a player who has a very high consistency for pre-assists, in addition to his direct assists, his goals, and his proportional shot-attempts. Messi is in the pre-assist sense similar to the Arsenal version of Dennis Bergkamp, which is why it makes no sense to act as though Messi's participation can be conveniently reduced to only goals and assists, readily ignoring that Messi's pre-assist superiority is probably why Barcelona scored more goals in the first place, and it really is no coincidence that that superiority showed especially against the top 6 clubs in the league, in essence because those clubs can actually defend well enough that Ronaldo's stat-padding will not inflate the numbers relative to what Barcelona's numbers are.

greatstriker11 repped this.
  13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6264 carlito86, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    This is entirely your assumption
    Once again you present no statistics
    No footage
    Just pure conjecture and speculation

If you would like we can go through every single goal scored by Cristiano ronaldo in 2011/12 and 2009/10 and once and for all breakdown his involvement in the build up play of his own goals,assists and pre assists

In these two seasons I just mentioned I am willing to put my name on the line when I say the following:
    Cristiano Ronaldo had a higher percentage of involvement in his own goals during these two seasons (in terms of pre assisted goals) than Romario had in either 1993/94 or R9 had in 1996/97
    He also earned more penalties for his team then either of them did in both seasons

As for what else you said regarding ronaldo vs Messi’s record against periodic top 6 teams
    In 2011/12 Real Madrid relied on ronaldo to a larger extent against big league teams than Barcelona ever did rely Messi at any point in his career
    Ronaldo’s 80% involvement in his total teams goals scored against top 6 league teams during 2011-12 is why he was he was ranked as high as he was by Dbs Calcio for example,is why 11/12 is considered his best ever season,is why many believed he should of won the Ballon D’Or because he consistently turned up in big matches

The goals ronaldo scored against Levante (6th place),Atlético Madrid (5th place),Malaga (4th place) where largely pure down to his outstanding technical qualities

Against Barcelona(2nd place) and Valencia(3rd place) he also scored game winning goals
    He did the same against Bayern in the champions league even if his all round play wasn’t as impressive as it had been against other big teams he still found a way to be directly involved in all 3 goals scored by his team

If you are going to return after a welcome sabbatical and go straight back to your typical style of rhetoric without actual substance or supporting evidence that I would prefer if we never actually discussed.

The sheer audacity of what you are claiming is bewildering
    I present undiluted facts without attempting to twist or misrepresent them.
    Are you actually denying that ronaldo was directly responsible for 80% of goals Real Madrid scored against big 6 teams in 2011/12?
    I don’t actually think you are objecting to what was said but rather that Lionel Messi’s involvement against the same level of opposition doesn’t match ronaldos

Instead of attacking the evidence why don’t you review Lionel Messi’s performances against periodic top 6 La Liga teams and see if he was ever involved in 80% of his teams total goals
    (And that includes goals,assists,pre assists and earned penalties)

14. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    How about Messi winning the Golden Ball in the 2014 WC while putting up a greater performance than Modric this year and not even getting consideration for BDO? Or Xavi/Iniesta/Sneijder not winning in 2010 WC?

The double standards are shocking. Modric deserves it going by the prevailing criteria but then they may as well admit that they got a whole bunch of these wrong.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Modric is seen as over achieving with Croatia in 18 WC. Plus he was on CL winning side.

Messi was seen as under achieving in 14 WC even if he won the golden ball. And he didn't win a CL.

robnycus repped this.
  16. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Yes.

I'm aware of that but it doesn't mean it's not complete bullshit.

17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Because back then the journalists were not the only voters. Also the managers and team captains voted. From Tuvalu to China.

The journalists voted Sneijder on top for 2010, Ribery for 2013 and Iniesta would have been much closer in 2012.

https://en.as.com/en/2016/09/21/football/1474462524_499338.html

Seen in that way, there is some consistency. At least more of it.

18. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #6269 robnycus, Dec 5, 2018
    They did with Iniesta.
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...-football-apologises-to-iniesta-idUKKBN1HV26H

Also Iniesta and Ribery both won the UEFA best player award, one of the awards that Modric won this season.

Modric:
    "Maybe in the past there were some players who could have won the Ballon d'Or like Xavi, [Andres] Iniesta or, I don't know, [Wesley] Sneijder, but it didn't happen.

"People now are finally wanting something else.

"I think it's a victory for football tonight.

"I'm happy that I am the winner, but this award is also for all these players that probably deserved to win and didn't."

Class act.

19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6270 carlito86, Dec 5, 2018
    Overachieving with teammates such as rakitic(one of the first names on Barcelona’s first team for the past 4-5 years)
    Mandzukic a world class striker for Bayern Munich and juventus,Perisic a highly rated Serie A And Bundesliga player for a few years now etc

A overachieving NT team with one star player is Romania 1994
    in the purest sense of the word Hagi dragged/led Romania (with 10 unknown players )to a World Cup quarter final
    And he did so with a string of inspirational performances +the armband as captain

The only thing Modric “led” was his team out of the tunnel to the pitch to sing the National anthem

20. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Actually they are very similar to this Croatia team. Some of these guys had played together for Steaua Bucarest and reached the Champions League final in 89.. that's how good they were.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ever hear of the expression perception is reality ?

22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    European Cup final and a quick search shows they had one of the easiest routes of all time
    E076C338-B8E1-4302-9C55-BDFCEBA884D3.jpeg
    A1C405F9-FE0E-4519-816B-68C7EEDE2AE4.jpeg
    AA3EBBA1-707A-415A-B912-CA534121DCA4.jpeg

FFA9CA65-43A9-446A-9F12-80FE55858FD3.jpeg

Beating the likes of Spartak Moscow,Galatasaray ,IFK goteborg and then running into the feet of Van Basten and gullit goes a long way to showing how great they were

There are many examples of dark horses progressing deep into major tournaments
    Greece 2004,Porto 2004 are relatively recent examples that spring to mind
    There is nothing even remotely comparable about the support cast Hagi had and the one modric currently has

In terms of performances hagi wins by a country mile and he never even won the golden ball( matter of fact wasn’t even in serious contention for the award)
    Which goes a long way to showing how the standards of greatness have changed for the worse.
    Modric won because of voter fatigue not because anyone with an iota of common sense believed he was the standout performer over the course of 2018

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Croatia over-achieved in that they were a dark horse and most didn't expect them to make the final. In reality though they didn't beat anybody they shouldn't have beaten.

24. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I remember the 94 WC and Lupescu, Dumitrescu, and Popescu were common names at the time + Hagi, of course. Popescu played with Barca - he replaced Koeman - and was even their captain..