Newsweek Poll: Bush at 28%

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Soccernova78, May 5, 2007.

1. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Not only that but he may be dragging down Reep candidates with him:

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    28%? That high, huh?

3. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite

:D:D

4. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the criteria of the 28%? This is well beyond republican and democrat and is into a question of basic competence.

Also, 6 times as many people believe that Bill Clinton would be more likely to make a politically unpopular decision if it hurt him than believed the same of George Washington. Mr "I will follow the polls until I die" vs the man that understood that all of his actions would set precedent until the end of the Republic.

How'd they find such a singularly clueless bunch of dopes to respond to a poll?

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They used a phone book?

6. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the St Elizabeth's Hospital phone book.

Fianlly, someone asked for John Hinckley's opinion. :rolleyes:

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This must be the same 28% who can't find their home state on a map.

8. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I think that part of the poll reveals the historical ignorance of Americans more than anything else. It went in descending order of Clinton, Reagan, Kennedy, Lincoln, FDR, and Washington - almost a direct path backwards in history. And of course the responses for Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson were probably below the margin of error, significant considering those two are probably the best answers to that question.

And I find it strange that people think he isn't "politically courageous." He's probably one of the more idealistic presidents we've had. It's just that his concept of what's "right" is hopelessly myopic.

9. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Errrrr....I think it's about 28% who CAN find their home state on unlabeled map. :D

10. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Idealistic" and "Courageous" are not the same thing. Clinton had as much courage as the overnight polling told him he should. It was always the biggest problem I had with him; the firm conviction that if he thought lying would get him out of a situation better than having integrity and telling the truth, then he would lie. It is this attitude more than anything else that ruined what was in many other ways a successful presidency.

11. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Although the two terms aren't synonymous, I think they correspond. Generally, our more "courageous" presidents tend to hold on to their opinions when the country might turn against them - an idealistic tendency. And Rove played up this "courage" to stick to your guns alot during the '04 campaign. It just wasn't marketed as idealism, since idealism goes against the conservative movement in its very definition.

I should clarify that I'm talking about political courage, the kind specified in the poll. Obviously courage in foreign policy or whatever is completely different and open to a different set of interpretations.

12. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with much of what you say, I find that people either are courageous or are not. IMO Clinton was not- not personally, not politically, not professionally. He was brilliant and perhaps the best natural politician of his generation, but he was not courageous.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree. In fact, I don't think you could make a convincing argument to the contrary.

14. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Clinton basically pioneered Third Way politics. I don't know how you can possibly call that courageous.

15. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No seriously; 28 - 28!!!!! - out of every 100 US citizens look at this POTUS and say, "Great job!"?

That's madness.

This POTUS approval rating should be in the low teens, among insane fanatics...maybe we have more lunatics than first thought.

16. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Oh yeah, I certainly don't dispute that. Anyone who said that Clinton was our most politically courageous president is exhibiting an appalling amount of historical ineptitude.

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They called everyone working for the Rudy "Bush is a great President" Giuliani campaign.

18. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    It cant be long until the Republican leadership realizes that helping get this moron impeached will help their 2008 candidate. The Dems may end up delaying or avoiding impeachment of Bush unless Cheney goes first.

19. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Many people, like my dozens of psycho Texas cousins that I left behind in that state of my birth, supported Bush up until last year and only stopped because they thought they were on the losing team and couldn't stand the embarassment.

The second another right-winger with a drawl comes on the scene, they'll be all over him like flies on shit.

This is NOT something that sunsets with Bush. This is a battle against American Fascism, and it isn't going away any time soon.

20. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given Bush's record, it may seem like 28% is rather high, but that assumes you follow the news as closely as we might.

I have a few friends that have never heard of Gonzales, never heard of the torture, and think we're winning in Iraq. Whatever 'winning' means these days.

What can you do?

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The crumbling base knows that winning is just the opposite of what the Democrats want to do in Iraq. That's all they got.

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Probably the same crowd that thought Bin Laden and Hussein where bosom pals and that Iraq was responsible for 9/11.

23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Wrong tense.

24. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    So, has anyone else considered the fact that maybe people were just confused about the topic when asked whether or not they liked bush?

25. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    72% prefer wax.