News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who plays for a CONCACAF national team OR anyone who plays in a domestic league within the CONCACAF region is eligible, meaning Sam Kerr was also nominated, but didn't win.

As far as rules go though, nominees are decided by an assessment of performance stats by the CONCACAF technical study group and CONCACAF national team coaches and captains. Then the votes come from 3 groups: CONCACAF national teams' coaches and captains, media members in CONCACAF, and then the fan vote. (Each of those groups is weighted for 1/3 of the vote.)

Rules/process is here.

Dundalk24 and blissett repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As in all things like this, at least some of it doesn't mean much.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    After the frigid weather last year I think the players will be relieved to have one of the stops back in Florida. Ohio can get much colder than NJ however.

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohio weather is unpredictable. It could be freezing cold or super mild in March and neither would surprise me one bit.

7. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 4: US vs France, in Harrison, NJ
    AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

CoachJon repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, in the Lavelle household:

CoachJon, sitruc, Gilmoy and 1 other person repped this.
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking about going to the Harrison, NJ game- It is only a 5-6 hr drive. I have a conflict and can't go to Columbus, which is also drive-able.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So does Herdman going to coach the men's side take some of the fun out of USWNT vsCANWNT?

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ive been trying to talk myself into a couple possibilities. I could make the drive from Albany to NJ and risk to weather or maybe do Orlando for not that much more and risk a sunburn.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes me really dislike Herdman more than I already did, but doesn't change the rivalry for me at all.

blissett repped this.
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wonder if Sinclair is considering retiring from international play. I don't think the record means as much to her as it does to her fans and it's pretty much been her and Herdman against the world since 2012.

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Sinclair will retire yet, at least not until after the Olympics. This coaching change, regardless of how it went down, isn't going to change that.

15. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She Believes question, can you exit stadium between games? Looking at Columbus trip. I can't find anything other than tickets good for both games.

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Mapfre Stadium Website:
    Re-entry Policy
    There is a no re-entry policy for all MAPFRE Stadium events.

And I believeeeeeeeeeee, that USSoccer turns these Stadium rules/policy issues over to the individual sites to enforce and manage.
    And Jon/kernel, if I am risking hypothermia to attend the NJ Match......you have to also.:D:D

CoachJon, Semblance17 and Mojo Jambo repped this.
  17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Group hypothermia is possibly the worst reason I have ever heard to attend a soccer match.

CoachJon, Semblance17 and jackdoggy repped this.
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonetheless, I just purchased my ticket to SheBelieves at Red Bull Arena :).

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What time r u picking me up? :)

CoachJon repped this.
  20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone going to the Orlando game: I may or may not need to borrow someone's smartphone to pull up my ticket and get into the stadium, since Ticketmaster seems to be phasing out paper tickets in all forms.

On a side note, I would not by any means consider contracting hypothermia at a USWNT match to be the worst possible way for me to go out, but alas, a trip to Harrison NJ is not in my budget of money or time.

blissett repped this.
  21. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah what the H is that!!! I may finally have my answer....Not being able to attend USWNT matches may finally force me to upgrade my phone from the Vintage 1974 James Bond suitcase model I currently have.

If Antarctica doesn't scare you, a trip to New Jersey would be a piece of cake.<inside joke>

CoachJon repped this.
  22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Technically not USWNT news per say, but worth posting. U.S. born Daphne Corboz has been called up by Les Blues to replace injured midfielder Toletti. Her parents are French so she has dual citizenship. Our coaching staff value speed and athleticism too much to consider Corboz, but I think she will find good success in the French setup. The old core of Necib, Abily, Thiney, Bussaglia are either retired or aging, so France is rebuilding the midfield. A good time for Corboz to break into the side at age 24, and a chance to play in a World Cup on the soil of her ancestry.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Act...corboz-remplace-sandie-toletti-blessee/867078

CoachJon repped this.
  23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just going to point out that there is a whole thread about Yanks who play for Foreign NT's. ;)

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

So if Beard is right Lavelle is out for SBC.

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2900 lil_one, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Some interesting info in BJ Snow's session at the United Soccer Coaches Convention:

There's more, but I don't want to overwhelm everyone with tweets. Apparently his session might be available to the public in the future. But right now, check out Jonathan Tannenwald's twitter feed. He was trying to keep up in the session.

CoachJon repped this.