News/Info on MagicJack

Discussion in 'magicJack' started by MRAD12, Jul 18, 2011.

1. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
  2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difficult playoff format. Playng a good team off a bye on two days rest plus travel is pretty brutal. Looked tired enough to not be sharp in the box but Barnhart played well and Mj was a bit unlucky on some chances. Was Press hurt? Because DeVanna added little...

I too hope they will be back and hope some decide to live in our fine county full time.

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    About DeVanna, I think she's a very inconsistent player and I think thats why she usually doesn't get the start. I actually thought Press was playing well as she and Huffman was killing Robinson on the left side and it was just unfortunate that she didn't score.
    However at half time, coach Riley made the switch to bring in Lohman on the left who plays a more defensive game. Johnson also had a very good defensive game as she fustrated Rapinoe all game

4. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is a couple of days early

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey look, over there, it's Mother Teresa standing in line behind Gandhi to buy a WPS franchise....

6. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until that happens you can go to Lockhart Stadium to watch the Strikers. Next up is TB "Rowdies" @ 730PM Saturday. Depending on Hurricane Irene over 7,000 could attend (the Strikers FO is shooting for 10K+....best of luck to them...:D...).

Come on down & join the fun & help Ft Lauderdale celebrate it's 100th anniversary....:)

7. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I think Mother Teresa would have trouble posting the bond money.

Unless you're suggesting they both inherited riches in heaven, but I'm not sure how well afterlife currency is trading against the dollar these days.

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I was just commenting on pasoccerdad's obsession with Dan being a bad person.

In your experience, how many nice people have made enough money to buy a professional sports franchise?

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Hmmm ... Jack Kent Cooke was a philanthropic fellow. Ted Leonsis is a great guy, very community-oriented. Lamar Hunt was a peach of a man. Will Chang seems like a decent guy. David Halstead's a good guy. Arthur Blank is quite charitable. Drew Carey's fun and personable. Ref-venting aside, Mark Cuban is actually a decent guy as well -- neck-deep in charitable work, gracious to people with whom he speaks. (Yes, I've interviewed him in person as well as communicating with him by email.)

Nice guys sometimes finish last, but not always.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I return serve with Al Davis, Wayne Huizenga, Dan Snyder, George Steinbrenner, James Dolan, Jeffery Luria, Jerry Jones, Eddie Debartolo,and Marge Schott.

Unlike Bob Bradley( :) ) sports leagues don't have a good person test. ;)

I just don't get the shock expressed that DB is a jerk.......

11. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    There is a line between just being a difficult person and killing your own team or the league. See George Shinn.

12. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    You left out Donald Sterling.

But many of the people you mention elicit shock themselves. Schott certainly did. Snyder's lawsuit against the City Paper and his team's shakedown of older season-ticket holders who could no longer afford their tickets have turned him into a ... well, I'd better not say ... don't want to get sued.

Most of the time, I think shock is a reaction to something unique. I wouldn't be shocked to meet a team owner who's a spoiled rich guy with an inflamed sense of entitlement. Dan, for better or for worse, is definitely different.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I equate Dan more with Jones or Davis, as someone who wishes they were doing the coaching i.e. ego issues, than Schott and Synder who had/have morality issues, IMO.

14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I could see that.

But again, Dan's getting the attention because the way he runs his team is so unusual. Even if you wholeheartedly support him, you're interested in reading about the way he's doing things.

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly don't wholeheartedly support him, and I agree on your take on his previous media policy, which seems to have changed.

But to be politically incorrect, I wonder if some of the hate from WPS fans, is because they don't follow other sports, and don't take asshole owners in the same stride other sports' fans do? This is speculation, because I don't know that much about WPS fan demographics, but if it is consistent with other soccer fans...

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Good question. Around the world, I'd say fans tend to demand more of their owners. (That's apparently the point of Gabriele Marcotti's magicJack column in the Times, which is unfortunately behind a paywall.) But does that carry over to WPS?

Maybe we are indeed accustomed to women's team owners being benevolent souls who are just doing this so little girls can be inspired, and they tend to act with a little more humility and grace.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think people posting here are shocked (to use your word) that Borislow is an @sshole. There is ill will around here toward him because of the way the Washington Freedom were moved to FL. The Washington Freedom survived WUSA.It developed a youth program. It kept a WLeague team after WPS started. Borislow killed the Freedom on the cusp of its 10 year anniversary. There are people (especially among the hard core posters here) who remain pissed off about the clusterf^#k way the move happened. The Colts handled their relocation better.

My grandparents had season tix to the Baltimore Colts. They've both been dead for a long time. The other day I was helping my folks were shifting some things around in their basement and I asked what something was. My dad said "oh, my parents took those to Colts games." In his next breath he said, "I bet they're still mad and are haunting." My dad (no spring chicken) still harbors ill will about the Colts moving.

I also think some folks are rubbernecking the wreckage of a once great organization. And some are more pissed that the fate of their league is (seemingly) wrapped so closely to this particular @sshole. And Borislow's words/actions during the season have generated more ill will around here.

Also, even Al Davis wasn't always quite as crazy as he is now. The Raiders use to be relatively respectable as an organization AND they use to go to SuperBowls... ;)

eta: Yes, Beau Dure, I know that fans should save some of that anger for uber rich Washingtonians who didn't buy the team. But since when do fans follow that logic?

18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see that, but we are not talking about local team owner moving team ala Irsay or Davis, we are talking about a guy who lives in PB county, buying a team, and moving it here. It would have just died before the 10th anniversary in DC, right?

Can't believe I forgot the Irsays on the asshole owners list......

19. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everyone loves a Villian !!! Seriously, I enjoy dan being in the league and giving me fresh material to use.

I was one of the few who were hoping that this would work out with the league and DB... for the WPS and the great players on the team and the fans in Florida

I loved the freedom with great respect... and I feel for their fans when he snookered the team away without the courtesy to tell the fans anything

If he had been upfront with everything there would not be the uproar.

Every other owner in the league follows standards and has a somwhat updated website for the most part. There was no info on nothing.. Until the schedule came out, people were beleiving that they would play some games in last years home and that the team would still be called Freedom

it would have been better if Washington took Chicago's approach and let Dan have a new team and disbanded the players via free agency..

He bought the players, told no one anything then started playing as MJ and was worse than any bad owner... this is akin to Irsay moving in the middle of the night. Jerry Jones may meddle, but he does not assume the role of coach.

He provided a good circus and gave us something to talk about during the season... He amuses me to no end...

Everyone Loves a Villian

None of my rants are targeted toward or take away from my appreciation of the players who endure or thrive under his ownership (Except for Hope Solo, but that is another conversation)

20. emeybee

emeybee New Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
  21. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    I was watching TV today and surprised to see this Abby MagicJack commercial. I'll be honest I actually laughed out loud at this commercial.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZKE6twoj4"]Abby Wambach magicJack commercial - YouTube[/ame]

Also just FYI they are announcing the new season of DWTS cast this Monday during the Bachelor Pad which runs from 8-10 so I guess we'll know for sure if Hope can do it by then. I'm all for the publicity of women's soccer but I do wonder about her injuries and competing on the show. She was too hurt to play the remainder of the year but she can dance in hold so her arm will constantly have stress on it. I just find it odd. I'm sure if she does it people here will bash her for it so I won't say much more than that because I'll be honest if she does it I'll watch and vote her.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo should talk to Misty May-Treanor before she does DWTS. That is, if Solo wants to keep playing soccer and play in the Olympics.

23. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Dan wrote it himself. It would explain a lot.

24. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitching out balls and giving interviews instead of being at the Semi with the team that pays her... WPS has completely left her tiny memory

Have a drink before watching the chick asking the questions is so annoying, I would not... (use imagination)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjajBuxfk-s"]Hope moves forward - YouTube[/ame]

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw the same thing. I was watching CNN when the commercial came on.
    Abby seems well into the MJ camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes her a VP in the company or something.