Newly Adopted Community Forum Guidelines

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I guess that's possible, and to be fair I usually only hang out on the DC or the College board and I really haven't seen that go on ever. It's possible it does other places around here, though.

Personally I think this was all just you lobbying after all the jokes you got once you hit 20,000, but that's just me. :)

I think the thing is though that some people are going to be morons. How much time does it really waste to skip someone's post if you see they start with, "Well you only have ___ number of posts"? I'm one that definitely liked to see other people's counts and still think it's a stretch that removing the count will solve any major problems around here.

2. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Amen. And since I've only got somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 I don't really have any axes to grind. I do think that NSR posts should count however.

3. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    well, what are you waiting for? go ahead and do it now because right now it's pretty much worthless. They've all been reset to zero, tthey are only visible in the profiles and the value of a rep has been reduced. just get rid of it, or are you waiting for BSX? :rolleyes:

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Level 1 = Trainee
    Level 2 = Youth Teamer
    Level 3 = Reserve Player
    Level 4 = Squad Player
    Level 5 = First Teamer
    Level 6 = Vice-Captain
    Level 7 = Captain
    Level 8 = International Player
    Level 9 = International Captain
    Level 10 = Superstar

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh.

And when I suggested this a couple of years ago, I was not only told it was not realistic, I was told "You should know why."

That's me, ahead of the curve again. :)

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, most people had reputations before there was rep.

Be smart, be funny, be both - don't troll, don't start stupid and unnecessary threads, don't ask the same dumb questions, and occasionally admit that you're wrong when the evidence piles up against you, and you'll be well-thought-of.

Be a jackass, and you won't be. Seems like the people who whine most about it are the ones who don't follow those simple guidelines, those who complain about cliques alienate almost everyone because they think they're too cool for the room and some people are just criminally stupid.

Be a good poster. Don't try to play games.

7. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You were right.

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I don't like the changes. Although I agree fully with Kenn that members had rep before rep existed, I don't know everyone, particularly when I venture into a Forum I'm not usually in (wandering over to the Fire Forum, for instance.) In those cases, some combination of rep, post count, join date, whether a person has an avatar and what it is, and their signature if I didn't have them on ignore, are all useful data points for knowing the perspective of the other poster. That enables me to craft my response appropriately. The changes take that information away from me, and give me less of an ideo to whom I'm speaking.

As someone who does occassionally work to write a soccer-related post with a lot of content in it, I must say that the positive rep was the only psychic reward I would get from the experience other than the writing itself. Maybe I'm vastly outnumbered by people who thought abusing rep threads was a blast, but it still was a nice little reward, in my mind.

9. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like the changes, especially the resetting of rep and not making it visible.

10. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Nailed it. Either embrace it and all its inadequacies and imperfections as well as its rewards and warm fuzzies or get rid of it completely, but emasculating it and giving it a sort of half-life is a wretched idea.
    This is also true. Rep, join date, and post counts are, at base, information about the poster, however flawed. I'd rather have some information than none.

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    How about:

Level 1 = Kenny Arena

Level 9 = Claudio Reyna
    Level 10 = Landon Donovan

12. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    I don't give you b!tches money for a subscription, so my voice probably means little, but I think it's great the rep has been basically eliminated.

13. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'd rep you, but what the hell for? It's pointless

sigh...

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    TBH, all about you and nothing about us the users? Why not make announcements with a user focus?

15. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    :D :D

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, duh. He is kenntomasch, afterall.

[​IMG]

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have it. You just have to find it. I don't see how it matters much either way. If a post is good, it's good. If a post sucks, it sucks. If you're not sure, you can check out the profile page and see who you are dealing with.

18. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Is this the "Routine Maintenance" the site was shut down for last week?

Post count could usually tell you something about a poster, but only when combined with join date.
    Some of the best posters on BigSoccer (and I mean far & above the usual best posters) were the people with just a few dozen posts who you knew were going to tell you something you'd want to know... IE: The friends/family/players/'anonymous insiders' types...

Maybe the best solution to the whole, "When should a noob be allowed to start a thread?" question is to have them petition a MOD to turn on their access to thread starting...
    Or, if the mods are really busy just sitting back, praying for someone to report a post so they can spring into action... 50 posts with the option to petition, etc...

I thought 'rep' was a crap idea when you first introduced it. Mostly because I thought it would just encourage a bunch of clowns showing off for their buddies... Which was only partly true.
    I don't think there'd have been any real problems with rep, if the rep threads had just been shut down right off the bat.
    Rep = People liked the post = People post more things that other people like... Seems fairly mathematic to me.

You post here for awhile, and you get to know all the more frequent posters anyway, but the more data you have to evaluate a poster you've never seen before, the better. I'd say at least half the posters on BigSoccer are old and wise enough to determine what value to put on each and any of those criteria provided...

Rep does provide you more satisfying instant feedback than the flood of upcoming "I couldn't agree more" posts will... With far less annoyance to others.
    But the whiny PMs which inevitably come in everytime you show someone red, I could do without.

All that aside:
    It'd be grand if we could all know without having to think for ourselves, wouldn't it?
    But until you figure that out, I'd rather you can it altogether... Unless you really like "Routine Maintenance"...

19. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    EDIT: Sorry, BS has been lagging for me lately, most likely due to "propagation"...
    At least I'm getting suitable nodes.

20. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If neither is meaningful, why punish us new members who are trying to establish good reputations through repping? My opinion is that you should get rid of both of them. I rather liked the rep system and was trying to use it to become part of the community. Heck, I am probably going to start to pay for this messageboard, which will be a first for me. I just feel as though the Jr. member is a bit insulting considering my soccer knowlege, age and posting history.

Please understand this is just my opinon and I understand it's your site and your rules.

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Eh, I was going to read your post but I glanced at your info and saw you joined in December '05 and realized you must suck.

:rolleyes:

This is meant as a joke, but there are probably people who will do stuff like this regardless of what information is available. If join date is there (which I see no real problem in) why strip the counter because there are a few local idiots?

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If you'e going to go with players, you have to start with the early MLS guys and/or coaches that never amounted to anything.

You should also finish the list with the international superstars, with the "10" being reserved for one an only "O'Rey".

Or.. go with famous players numbers (it has to go up to 11):

1- Lev Yashin
    2- Berti Vogts
    3 -Giacinto Fachetti
    4 - Carlos Alberto
    5 - Franz Beckenbauer
    6 - Bobby Moore
    7 - Garrincha
    8 - Jimmy Greaves
    9 - Eusebio
    10 - Pele
    11 - Hans Schäfer

23. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    It's an American site, but that doesn't mean it's only for American users.

I kind of like this idea on one level, but TBH it brings things too far into the realm of people's personal preferences, favourite players, attitudes, etc. I'd much rather be a Beckenbauer than a Eusébio.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, I look like the guy in the gorilla suit at the end of Trading Places on that one.

25. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Ok. I know of Pele. And have heard of Beckenbauer. But never heard of those other guys.