New Zealand 2015 U20 Fifa Wold Cup [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by The Special One, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The semifinal wasn't on pens.

Congrats to Serbia. They were by far the grittiest team of the tournament. Definitely deserved.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Congrats to Serbia. I did not think you could win it but you did.
    Valid champions.

3. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Congrats to Serbia; like everyone else, even though I support Brazil, I need to acknowledge that the Serbs showed a lot of fighting spirit and executed well their game plan, with solid defense, a great goalie, and dangerous counter-attacks. Anybody who loves soccer must respect these guys and I tip my hat to them.

Brazil over-achieved, missing a number of essential players from injury or from not being called up by the previous incompetent coach. The current coach is great and he accomplished a small miracle, taking this team to the final. They showed that they belonged there, is spite of having been outplayed by Portugal. They were deserving vice-champions, and could perfectly have won the tournament if Serbia had a slightly less good goalie.

We saw a great final with high-level soccer. This Brazilian U20 team has a thing or two to teach the senior team. They play better as a unit, with good possession control, precise passes, nice movements on the field, exploring all sectors of the field, with good tactical awareness, unlike the senior team. Just, their finishing is a bit off with some missed opportunities with shots off-target. Also, this team doesn't engage in diving and unsportsmanlike conduct like the senior team does.

Congrats to our boys as well for having reached the final and for having played very well in it, ultimately falling to a team that was just as deserving.

This was a great tournament with some beautiful soccer. Too bad that it has ended; I'll miss the emotions that this tournament has delivered. A big congrats to all these young players from various nations that honored the sport of soccer in New Zealand.

thegreathoo repped this.
  4. thegreathoo

thegreathoo Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I agree, it was a heck of tourney, so many OT games at the end, so much emotion, and it provided excellent soccer for fans to watch.

5. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess with the success of Serbia we're going to see a return of catenaccio bunker ball at the youth level?

That was absurd.

6. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    No, it wasn't, because they did counter-attack a lot. Many of these got stopped by the off-side trap, until one didn't. Playing good defense with strong counter-attacking is not just parking the bus and doing little else like the old catenaccio style used to be.

I don't think one can fault what Serbia did. After all, they scored two beautiful goals and were close to scoring a few more times.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mexico was in a very tough group, with Serbia, Mali & Uruguay.

I over-rated Germany, truth is they were not that good.

Form from qualification to the actual WC changes a lot, Serbia was playing better than Germany --in the quals they had tied.

Portugal were unlucky to lose with Brazil, they controlled most of the game.

The USA were unlucky to meet Serbia in the QFs. Colombia was perhaps the best South American team, all things considered.

The U20 tournament grows more and more physical with each edition. Having big teenagers becomes a plus.

8. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, there were a lot of changes. This German team was not the same that deservedly won the U19 Euro last summer. Most importantly it was missing its striker and last summer's Golden Boot winner Davie Selke, but also midfielder Joshua Kimmich (was brilliant today at the U21 Euro). Still, despite the lack of a real goal scorer they only went out on penalties. Could have easily gone the other way.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  9. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    The biggest surprise of the tournament for me was Germany actually losing a shootout. They are usually stone cold assassins in those. Does German blood get colder as they age?

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And that they choked their lead away. Seems like they got a bit too comfortable when facing a team with the attacking prowess Mali had.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Germany has choked leads away in full senior football. The Ghana game at the World Cup a prime example. They were up 1:0, went down 2:1 and almost were down 3:1 (mindmelt by Jordan Ayew aside). So its not unheard of for Germany to lose leads.

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That was the group stage, though. There's a different mentality to knockout football.

zahzah repped this.
  13. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Ah, yes, that glorious time when Ghana totally outplayed Germany and won 2:2 and went on to go out last in their group with 1 point. I was wondering when that one would come up again.

Congratulations to Serbia. Well played.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, they blew a 2-0 lead to England in the 2010 World cup. :whistling: Nobody is infallible. Even their shootout record is more down to chance than anything else (if 20 countries flipped a coin 4 times, chances are 1 or 2 would get heads each time).

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unless you are counting Lampard's legit goal that was called back, technically they did not blow that lead and they won. I'm not saying they are perfect, but it's very rare for them to choke games away in the knockout.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, that's true. But then again its true for pretty much everyone (except Mexico :sneaky:). Knockout games are usually quite cagey so even a 1-nil lead is massive.

17. Jenny Thoms

Jenny Thoms New Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Serbia are the FIFA U-20 World Cup champions after a late extra time goal from Nemanja Maksimovic sealed victory.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia