New USSF Logo, New Ref Jerseys?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dayton Ref, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Thanks for the reference. Yes ferulic acid does apparently have some beneficial properties due to its antioxidant and free radical scavenging effects. However it is ubiquitous in plants, especially in cell walls. So you can get plenty by eating things like grains, carrots and tomatoes as well as several other antioxidants. One of the most abundant sources is actually popcorn! But how much is in the commercial product? One study from their own paid consultant says it has an SPF value of about 3.
    https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/sunscreen-in-a-pill-updated/
    My point is that buying proprietary potions is overly costly for only marginal effects over and above a normal good diet. Also a months supply of actual ferulic acid capsules be bought for less than $!0 if you want it.

PH

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Heliocare works for me. Before I started taking it I would very easily get mild sun poisoning/hives on my hands and forearms from even a little bit of overexposure. Now I don't; it's that simple. (And yes of course it's no substitute for good sunscreen.)

I'm a big fan of the placebo effect; if it works, it works. (Echinacea works for me too. It doesn't work for everybody.)

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Taking us back to snake oil!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

4. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    this is where i get all my health products from

Pierre Head repped this.
  5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Not quite! This is why real trials run with double-blind studies, which AFAIK have not been properly done for Heliocare.
    But you can save money by either taking a real placebo or just buy the actual ferulic acid capsules (if that is the
    actual active ingredient)!
    Personally I don't have the money to throw away on dubious supplements. The costs for actual medicines that really work are high enough.

PH

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I throw away money on a lot of dubious stuff. I just bought a Jeep.

7. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    It's a ref thing.
    You wouldn't understand.

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny. We are now mandated to have the new yellow jersey for the HS season.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Speaking of which, because the new jersey is so much cooler and more breathable and more comfortable in hot weather games, I was afraid it would be colder and less comfortable in cold weather. That has not proved to be the case. I like it.

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. This worked like a charm on the sleeves of my new yellow shirt.

IASocFan and Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.