New USSF Logo, New Ref Jerseys?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dayton Ref, Feb 26, 2016.

1. mvgary

mvgary Member

Jan 12, 2006

I did get this in an email from US Soccer:

U.S. Soccer Referee Department Update: March 16, 2017
    U.S. Soccer Referee Program - Standards of Dress
    With the start of a New Year, new logo, and new uniform we have updated the Standards of Dress for the Referee Program. This link will illustrate the Standards of Dress and should be included in all upcoming courses.

Now I have to go measure my shorts in case United is checking our appearance.

2. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so since you mentioned the shorts does anyone else notice the new ones hanging much lower than the old style?

3. SOCCERREFEREE101

Aug 5, 2016

According to the that the the only socks we should were are the two stripe or all black. US soccer does not mention the three stripe socks.

4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asked my SYRA about that and he said the three stripes are supposed to be phased out by end of this year. Good luck with that.

5. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    I think the shoes are kinda funny since a lot of the MLS referees openly discourage all black shoes and advocate a little bit of color so it looks that you would be running faster.

6. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    "All black socks are OK" is a misread of the document.
    "Black with 2 stripes in the middle" are what is being mandated.

7. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Further notes:
    1) I saw a guy reffing with all black socks on Sat. It looked good, I wish it was an option.
    2) The only people who wear 2 stripers around here have been to Regionals. Run of the mill refs all wear 3 stripers. So the changeover is not going to be rapid.
    3) FWIW, I note that Score offers a 2 stripe version of their #707 that I love. So when I do cross over, I can buy socks that fit how I like them and do not have the OSI logo embedded in the design.

cinepro repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    SHOES
    • Black shoes
    • Black laces (may have white manufacturer’s design)

A literalist might say that means your laces can have the white manufacturer’s design but your shoes cannot. :rolleyes:

Here's hoping I don't have to sell my Copa Mundials to some lucky beginner kid with size 14 dogs.

cinepro repped this.
  9. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    At least one of my assignors insists on three stripes. Nothing else.

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Are any of you allowed to wear two-stripers for HS games? We are not.

Speaking of socks – I was "mentoring" at our club this past weekend. First match, U12, center shows up timely and looking good except he was wearing what appeared to be black crew socks, pulled up as far as they would go, which was not nearly far enough. I pointed at them and gave him the beady eyeball.

"I lost my ref socks."

"You only had one pair?"

"Yep."

"What are you going to buy this week?"

"Socks."

"How many?"

"Two pair."

"OK."

11. mvgary

mvgary Member

Jan 12, 2006
    He said it was dark when he got dressed.
    upload_2017-3-29_16-49-9.png

Attached Files:

cinepro, roby, cmonref and 2 others repped this.
  12. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Darn those early matches!

13. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That generally happens when your heads up your... you know what I'm not going for the low hanging fruit.

14. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Two is one and one is none....

ArgylleRef repped this.
  15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For high school games, we are only allowed to wear the three stripe socks, but we can wear the colored three stripe socks like college referees do.

16. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think they will find it difficult because of NISOA officials using 3-stripe socks.

Yup for HS in my state it is determined by each local section, so our standards are to allow either logo socks (2 stripes) or 3-stripe socks but they have to match. We also wear OSI jersey's and because sometimes we have 75 degree weather in winter we are allowed to wear short sleeve but the CREW has to match sleeve length :mad:

Those jersey's are absolutely hideous. I wouldn't wear those jerseys. I would just wear the OSI stuff. I'm glad I don't live in RI...

They also have referee rankings on their website! interesting.

18. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016

This was me last fall (not the 13 year old kid part...the rest of it). I am getting back into refereeing after being gone for several years and I only had fuschia and a single long-sleeve thin pinstripe (when I hung up my whistle before, that transition was just starting)....so I had to buy new jerseys.

After looking around, I decided I ordered one OSI uniform and new two-stripe socks (which still haven't arrived) and I ordered three quick and cheap old-style uniforms off of ebay (new with tags) that came within a week.

I haven't seen any official direction on it, but I can't see mixing and matching the old/new socks and uniforms. It seems like the two-stripe socks should only be worn with the new uniforms and the three-stripes should only be worn with the pin-stripe uniforms....anything else would look weird to me.

19. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    The two stripe socks have been around for a long time now.

cinepro repped this.
  20. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Any consequences for not matching sleeve lengths?

21. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    hmmm...that is what I get for just now paying attention. :whistling:

22. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    i'm XL in the old shorts and L in the new ones. and it's not a matter of renaming the sizing, since the new L is a little smaller than the old XL

refinDC repped this.
  23. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    NFHS Rule 5.1.3 The officials shall be dressed alike in the uniforms primarily consisting of: a. a shirt approved by the state association;..... b. black shorts or long trousers c. predominantly black shoes and black socks with white stripes.....

The number of stripes on the socks is not specified by NFHS rule, only that the stripes must be white and the rest of the sock black. Now individual states can modify the NFHS rules as they see fit but why? Talk about majoring in the minors. In our state, we only specify that the shirt to be worn is whatever has been adopted by USSF.

St. Augustine said that those with power become addicted to keeping power and power possessed must be exercised. I would add that those with some power will find some way in which to exercise it, even if it is on some very, very petty topic. AKA don't screw with petty bureaucrats. There's no good outcome possible for you.

24. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah my state goes so far as to specify the Ussf style but we can't wear Nisoa or Ussf logos. Gets really annoying come post season.