New technical director: Matthias Sammer

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Dead Fingers, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    hmmmm???

Matthias Sammer has been appointed as the new technical director of German Football.

any opinions on the matter?

2. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Sammer the new DFB technical director.

The DFB has appointed Matthias Sammer as the technical director of die Mannschaft. Klinsi had requested former German hockey coach Bernhard Peters.

I'm not exactly enthralled by this appointment myself to say the least.

In German (Kicker): http://www.kicker.de/content/news/artikel.asp?folder=7100&object=327551&liga=1&saison=2005%2F06&spieltag=20&gruppe=21278

In English: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=357927&cc=5901

EDIT:

Oops,I didn't see that DF just started the exact same thread! Please delete!

3. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Re: New technical director

Oops. I started a thread about this just minutes after you did!:eek:

Anyways, I'm not exactly enthralled by this appointment myself to say the least.

4. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Re: New technical director

it's ok..I just merged them :)

5. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The DFB is just continuing his tradition in giving fee and bread to bunglers (like Stielike, Hrubesch, etc and now Sammer). The decision to appoint a coach (and additionally a bad one) to the technical director is not only paradox, it is also ridiculous! Or do you think that Sammer has experiences or qualifications in organizing, coordinating or in sports science as like Peters has? Peters would habe been the best choice, and the crux is that one won't get such a chance twice! In other words I don't think that Peters is that dumb to go to the DFB for working under the technical director Sammer.

7. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that's what the DFB is saying to the job profile (look quote below). But you should not forget that Peters was only the hockey national coach, his main job was to build up structures for systematic talent funding, introducing knowledge from sports science, etc. He also held courses for the DFB seminars for the DFB coach schooling.

though the points are in German language I can assure you that almost all points (except the first two) would fit to Peters perfectly, thats what he already did a the german hockey federation with a lot success!
    The only reason why the DFB has chosen Sammer is cause they want to have a choach in advance for the case Klinsmann quits his job after World Cup

8. Natrium

Natrium New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Schland
    What exactly makes Sammer a "bungler"? He was a world class player, better than Ballack today, sadly his career was way too short, his best years were probably yet to come. And he is the youngest coach ever to win the Bundesliga title with a team that was by qualitywise maybe 3rd or 4th tier.
    I don't know if he is the right guy for the job, time will tell, but his prerequisties are excellent.
    And what I particularly like about this nomination is how it pisses Klinsmann off.

9. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    It would spell disaster if Sammer ever became the NT coach. Look what he did to BVB and Stuttgart. BVB won the title in spite of Sammer being the coach.

This goes to show that the DFB is in need of an overhaul IMO.

10. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and makes a world class player automatically a world class/quality coach, a world class/quality technical director? I guess you can answer this question by yourself

Evan a blind man may sometimes hit the mark.

Are you kidding? Sammers coaching time with Dortmund fell into the period, in which the club rearmed the squad massively with the money from the IPO, e.g. Rosický, Koller, Amoroso , Ewerthon and Evanilson. Even a Peter Neururer would have made the title with this players :rolleyes:

11. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I fully agree with you here, but I already think that Klinsman will quit this job after the WC no matter if he has success or not and this farce with Sammer will contribute to that.

12. Natrium

Natrium New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Schland
    It obviously shows, that he knows what it takes to find, develop and foster talents into quality player since he went down that road and experienced it first hand. It doesn't automatically make him a good "technical dircetor" but it certainly doesn't hurt, in fact I think it's a big advantage.
    Sure, that's why they were almost relegated the year before, good one. Keep on joking. It's true that they spend a lot of money for second class players, in fact that was their downfall, because they didn't deliver any success.

13. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Paging Footyfan..

:)

14. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC

LOL!!!

He is probably typing up a 5 page response as we speak

15. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he did as a player has nothing to do with his ability as a coach, which is nearly NIL!!!

Dude, if you really feel that team was "3rd or 4th tier" quality-wise, I think you are either void of knowledge of that team or just blind. That was one of the few seasons anyone in the Bundesliga had as much, if not more talent on the pitch than FC Bayern!

That team was so loaded, they won the title DESPITE Sammer's bungling, not because of him!

And they would have still blown it if 1. FC Nuernberg doesn't beat Bayer Leverkusen on the pentultimate Saturday of that season!

I was at the AOL Arena watching our match HSV on that day and we should have won going away as we were up by two goals in the second half.

Somehow, Sammer decides to play around and we almost managed to throw away that two-goal lead! Were it not for Amoroso's brilliance, we would have LOST!!!

Need I remind anyone of Sammer's BONEHEADED tactical switch with two minutes left to go in the 2003 CL second group stage??

We were on the verge of sending Real Madrid home. All we had to do was hold for the final two minutes.

What does Sammer do?? He takes off our best defensive winger, Dede, for a freakin' STRIKER (Amoroso), who gets dispossessed with about a minute left in stoppage time. Real attacks down the wide open flank where Dede should have been defending and they score the tying goal, putting them through and sending us home!

Many feel that decision was the beginning of BVB's downfall and I totally agree!!! Sammer lost the team then because they all realized that his stupid actions were hurting them more than helping them!

If you want more proof, look at what Sammer did to a Stuttgart team that was near-championship quality when he got there! Look at them now!! Ask the guys on the VfB Stuttgart thread if I didn't tell them exactly what Sammer would do to their team and if it didn't happen exactly as I said it would!

Take a look at what BVB are doing now with much less talent than Sammer threw away!

I believe in my heart that Matthias Sammer is a tactical MORON who I don't believe has the coaching or teaching ability to show a kid how to dribble! I will agree that Sammer has the POTENTIAL to be a great trainer, but he sucks right now! He sucks BADLY!!

I blame Sammer and Sammer alone for the regression of Tomas Rosicky and players such as David Odonkor and Salvatore Gambino, who are just now starting to come into their own under a REAL TEACHER AND TRAINER, BERT VAN MARWIJK!!!!

Matthias Sammer is the one who destroyed that BVB team that should have gone down as one of the greatest BVB sides of all time, which in turn led to the downfall of the club.

I'm glad the downfall happened because we got rid of a even worse management team. However, they bought some great talent with that money they spent. They just sent a freakin' moron out there to lead them!!!

You show me someone who thinks Matthias Sammer is a great trainer and I'll show you someone who either doesn't know the game or is blindly loyal to Sammer because of what he did as a player.

I still revere Sammer the player. That guy is still one of my all-time favorites as a player. But Matthias Sammer the trainer sucked ass and that's about the nicest way I will put it!

Why don't you ask Dortmund and Stuttgart fans what we think about that comment?? I think the only ones you'll find who agree with your comment are blind Sammer worshipers.

Maybe this is your motivation. Because if you think Sammer is a great or even good coach, I'm here to tell you that you are sadly mistaken. :(

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What?? Matthias Sammer wouldn't know talent if it walked up and bit him in the ass!!

He sure as hell doesn't know how to develop talent!

Your point makes no sense at all.

"Duncan Idaho" mentioned Rosicky, Ewerthon, Evanilson, Amoroso and Koller.

The only one of those players who was on that Dortmund team that was almost relegated was Evanilson! The rest of them were brought in after Sammer took over! And we don't win the title without all of those players.

Hell, even a freakin' moron could win the title with those players.

Hey, that's right!

A FREAKIN' MORON DID WIN THE TITLE WITH THOSE PLAYERS!!! :rolleyes:

"Duncan Idaho" was right on with his comments!!

17. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Damn, came too late to witness footyfan's reaction to this. :D

18. Natrium

Natrium New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Schland
    Well, you can't argue with fanatics, so I won't even try, waste of time. :D
    But I give you my pov. The Dortmund side was a bunch of overrated and most importantly overpaid players. Just because they were expensive doesn't mean they are that good. It was just the time when Dortmund was throwing money out of the window like there is no tomorrow, even and particulary for mediocre players. If these players were that good you would see them playing at top clubs by now and don't give me crap like "Sammer ruined their careers". Quality prevails no matter what. Sammer was a young coach at this time, it's true he made mistake but he has his qualities too. It's just the easiest way and a well known method to put the blame on a single person, who had to go.

19. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Sorry I asked for opinions here. LOL

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL!! :) I am quite fanatical when it comes to Sammer. I know what he helped do to my club.

Believe me, I was fooled too. However, I noticed the team going downwards in the title year. Ask anyone on these boards who's e-mailed with me for awhile. I openly admit Dortmund were lucky to win the title in 2002.

I think you don't wish to recognize reality staring you in the face.

Sure, it's easy to blame the players for what happened in Dortmund, but when the same exact thing happens at Sammer's very next station right on cue, well, it doesn't take a frickin' genius to figure out what the problem is......

As I said, I told the guys on the VfB Stuttgart thread what would happen to their team and exactly how it would happen and that's exactly what occurred.

Also, how do you explain Dortmund's current resurgence under Bert van Marwijk with many of the same players and others who are supposedly of LESSER QUALITY than the ones Sammer had??

That's called COACHING my friend. That's what happens when you have a true TRAINER who knows how to teach his players to be BETTER PLAYERS and send them out with the best tactical plan to win the match.

As far as your "Quality prevails no matter what" statement, if that were true, why would players need trainers?? No player ever made it to the top on natural talent alone. All of them had to have that talent cultivated and refined by good trainers along the way.

Look at Rosicky this season and look at him under Sammer. It's almost like two different players.

David Odonkor, Salvatore Gambino and Florian Kringe were going to be sold if Sammer had his way. Sammer acted as if all three would never be good enough.

Look at them now. All they needed was someone to TEACH THEM how to better their talents.

Something that was beyond Sammer's current abilities.........

21. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Get out of here...that's just crazy talk!

:p

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BTW, I forgot to mention that final sentence is nothing but a weak ass cop-out.

Also, I believe I said Sammer still has the POTENTIAL to be a great trainer. I believe I said that and I believe that is true.

I think it speaks well for Sammer that even HE KNOWS he has to go back to get more training himself before he can reach his potential as a trainer. The Leverkusen job was his for the taking and that's exactly why he turned it down.

If he knows he still has work to do on his trainer's skills, why don't you???

He said it for the entire world to hear.......:rolleyes:

23. Natrium

Natrium New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Schland
    *cough cough*
    Honestly... I don't see any "resurgence" at all, Dortmund is just as mediocre as ever. They are only in the top half of the table because the rest of the league except the top 4 isn't exactly going strong either.
    And the player you mention ROFL DIE KARTOFFEL.... You can't be serious... :D
    Rosicky(one of the most overrated players i've eve seen) is overall very poor this season.
    All Odonkor can do is running fast up and down the line.
    Gambino has _never ever_ done anything.
    Kringe is quite the ordinary player nothing that deserves a special mentioning.

btw the "cop-out" is nothing but the truth and you know it.

24. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Have you even watched a BVB game this year?
    Rosicky's had a solid year so far. Odonkor has improved immensely and is much less one-dimensional than he was in the past. Van Marwijk's done very well with a young and injury depleted squad this season.

(Hell, this is coming from a Schalke fan too....)

25. david29

david29 Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Are you kidding? Now I'd be the first to agree that in the final weeks of that Bundesliga campaign we were very fortunate to get the results that we did, and that it was largely Leverkusen's anxiety that gave us the lead going into the final day. That said, this was also the same side that beat Milan 4-0 on the way to the Uefa Cup final and only narrowly lost it, despite playing most of the match a player down and being a genuine 'away' team against Feyenoord. We might not have been the very best side in Europe, but we weren't complete rubbish. Overpaid? Undoubtedly. Overrated? Far less likely.