New Star Trek Series in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SoCalYid, Nov 2, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd like them feature in season 2 if they had to include it at all.

2. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moments. There are moments in this series where I think, "alright, they have a decent storyline here and I'm starting to enjoy most of the crew and cast." Then they seem to add layers to the story to extend it setting aside the depth needed from the extra characters in order to make the whole thing feel more like a full universe and not a single character story. I guess I'm just gonna have to accept putting up with a sweaty, tired, and nervous Tyler for the rest of the season. If they somehow make it so Ash survives while at the same time allowing Voq to live I will officially be done with this.

This is not to say I am against long plot lines in my Star Trek TV shows. I am now up to season four of Deep Space Nine (Sisko is the most bad-ass Commander in all of Star Fleet) and love the Dominion plot line.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE DS9. My favorite Trek series, you're in for a treat because it's only going to get better.

One other thing I waned to point out about Discovery being in the Mirror Universe. Did anyone notice that Burnham specifically called it the Mirror universe? She's the only ST character to do so, in all the other series they'd say alternate universe.

onefineesq, taylor, NORML and 2 others repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What Dante said.

Season three of Enterprise has a full-season arc that is pretty damn good, in my opinion.

onefineesq, taylor and NORML repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    DS9 season 4-6 are BEAUTIFUL episodes of television. Shame it was so overlooked. It was worthy of an Emmy nod writing if you ask me.

onefineesq, song219, Belgian guy and 2 others repped this.
  6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week was the 25th anniversary of DS9’s premiere. I can still remember watching it on Saturday nights on our local CBS channel after their nights news, starting at 11:30. I was 16 when it premiered and watched it with my mom every week until I left for college. Got my roommate into watching it too lol. Man, good memories.

taylor, NORML and Ismitje repped this.
  7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    DS9 Star Trek is the best Star Trek.

onefineesq, NORML and Dante repped this.
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One day my wife and I plus another couple we watched DS9 decided on a whim to have a "Cardassian Neck Day" where we tightened the tendons in our necks and generally goofed off all day. Turns out your neck will hurt a lot for several days afterwards if you have a Cardassian Neck Day.

Dante, Dr. Wankler and NORML repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I seem to remember references to Odo doing his "Cardassian neck trick" in an episode, but even he never did it on camara. That should've told you guys something.

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I regret to this very day they decided to put year of hell in two episodes instead of running the whole 4th season on it like originally intended. That would have showed some balls to tell the whole community after like 24 episodes "Go back to square 1".

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The problem with Discovery having a mirror universe story now is that they haven't earned it. "Mirror Mirror" was the 33rd episode of Star Trek, "Crossover" was the 43rd episode of DS9, and Enterprise didn't do theirs until the 94th episode. Those were all developed series at those points. How can Discovery be exploring an alternate political dynamic when they haven't even explained their own yet? What is there to be alternative to, except non-Discovery Star Trek? The only fun bit is seeing Tilly play against type because she is the only one playing against type. The rest are still the self-indulgent characters who flout rules we've gotten throughout the series.

The holographic effects and the fight choreography in the turbolift were excellent, and they finally have good camerawork, but having good direction is honestly the weakest possible praise I could give a Star Trek episode. The dialog is still bad, and there is way too much emphasis on feelings instead of actions. And it's silly to give ship bridges transparent windows.

NORML, Belgian guy and Dante repped this.
  13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly my thoughts. Too soon. It seems like the authors are catering to modern viewer needs as to be seen in Game of Thrones with multi-level story lines. But it all comes across as desperate and trying too hard. Probably one of the characters will end up in the mirror universe trying to fight their way back and the others in the original universe try to help them but cant quite since there is still a war to be won. Then you got the Klingons story line, people on Discovery story line, and the mirror universe story line.

NORML repped this.
  14. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Where other Star Trek is story or theme based, Discovery is Michael Burnham based. Everything exists to further her personal growth. The war exists to bring her low and to give her the mechanism to regain her standing. The mirror universe exists to give her power (both as a captain and over Lorca). Tyler exists to give her someone to love, and L'Rell exists to take him away. But like you said, it's too much. Because all these things individually are massive just on their own.

NORML, Belgian guy and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So one of the writers on the show explained that the USS Defiant scene in Discovery is the same Defiant from TOS, but it's been upgraded by the Terran Empire over the 100 years it time shifted into the past.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    There is rarely an episode without something that bothers me more than other stuff.
    This time around it was the fact that they apparently needed Michael Burnham to inform them of the fact that Ash Tyler had killed the doctor.
    In the event of an obviously violent death, why wouldn't they review the med bay's sensor data to see what had transpired? :rolleyes:

taylor repped this.
  17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it a bit incredulous that there was only one person working in the medical bay when that occurred. It's not like it's Voyager with a holographic doctor and nobody else, they have multiple doctors, nurses, etc. Only one person on duty at a time?

Also the whole, oh and digging deeper we noticed that you're not really human thing was really a stretch. There are plenty of signs that he's not human when doing a scan of his organs, it's not like they reshaped those as well as his bones lol

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yup, that's why I hated the possibility of this entire story line from the beginning. It can only work if you believe the medical staff on board of the Discovery is grossly incompetent.

Dante repped this.
  19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The dialog in episode 11 was so bad. The first 8 minutes were useless. It's the kind of thing that TNG or DS9 would have have more effectively communicated in a moment with just a change in facial expression. And what about that horrible scene where Michael defends each race. If the viewer knows who Andorians and Tellarites are, they don't need their nature explained, and if the viewer doesn't know who Andorians and Tellarites are, they don't need their nature explained either because it isn't used in the episode. Or ever. We've never seen Andorians or Tellarites before.

The Tellarite didn't look like a Tellarite. The special effect blowing up the planet was terrible.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Klingons don't look like Klingons, the Klingon ships don't look like Klingon ships (remember this is only 10 years before TOS), they have more aliens on board Discovery than we ever saw in all of TOS, etc. etc.

Discovery is merely using the name Star Trek and throwing in some easter eggs to try to placate viewers. This is what happens when you have the creators/showrunners of Pepper Dennis in charge.

taylor, Belgian guy and spejic repped this.
  21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just when you think it can't get any worse, they somehow find a way.

Belgian guy repped this.
  22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm going to take the contrary position here. Everything in that episode was predictable (indeed, predicted), but I still thought it was quite good. Did they muck up a few things? Yes. Do I care massively? No. The one thing that bothers me is the sensitivity to light business. First, it's a little on the nose. Second, we've seen lots of mirror universe humans, and only two appear to be sensitive to light. So how can that be a thing for all mirror universe humans?

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We now know why Captain Lorca hadn't been acting like a Starfleet captain generally does. :)

-G

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A little over the top for my taste. A little too much of everything.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    #325 Belgian guy, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Lame. It also makes no sense whatsoever.
    If I recall correctly, the fake Lorca's origin story is that he abandoned his crew on a ship he has set to self-destruct so it didn't fall into Klingon hands.
    We now have to assume the real Lorca perished on that ship and the fake Lorca took his place. But how on earth would he manage that?
    Either he would have needed to secretly insert himself on board of that ship prior to the battle, or he would have had to show up in a manner that made his fake identity believable in the immediate aftermath of the battle.

Dante repped this.