New Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Colm, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Looks like the new ground is going to be called the FedEx Stadium.

Sigh.

2. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    do you know the financial deal involved?

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your hope was what?

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The Wonga Dome

5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Same rumor of the naming said £150m. Rumor didn’t state the length of the deal so who’s to say if that’s good, bad or indifferent. A 10 year deal at £15m a year would be a tidy bit of business though and it looks like the current priciest deals top out around $20m a year so it would be right in line with those. Wouldn’t be shocking if Daniel were able to extract a similar price. The snagging of a deal with the NFL was a huge coup.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/09/19/In-Depth/Naming-rights-deals.aspx

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FedEx needs a bit of good publicity in the UK right now, what with that truck driver being charged with a couple of deaths. I was thinking that Levy might have used that to his advantage.

Personally, I don't think it is a bad sponsor. Having lived for a few years in FedEx's home city, they are fairly aware of their placement in the city. Yeah, they got some flack for the FedEx only airport expansion, but they also do good around the city. For instance, they hold a St. Jude fund raising golf tourny every year. And they do other things to reach out to the poor community, as well. I would not speak as well of AutoZone or IP (the other two major corporations who have HQs in Memphis) or St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

7. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No it's not, it's White Hart Lane. No one will care what the official corporate soul sucking bunch of arseholes name is, it will forever be what the locals, the regulars, the casuals, hell even what the supporters in far flung corners of the world call it. It will be White Hart Lane.

Phillyspur and soccernutter repped this.
  8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Impressive.

... I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but I'm going to hate it.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the touch area is not real grass? Wonder how that will go over.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes it will, but you got me thinking if there is any precedent for a new stadium being in the same location, and retaining the name (even unofficially)? I think Charlton called it 'The New Valley' after their rebuild, but that was before the corporate soul suckers got in on the act.

11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Based on the animation and the before/after illustration seem to suggest the touchline will still be grass as it uses the same texture as the pitch vs the texture used for the synthetic field. That could change or the animation/illustrations might not be accurate. There’s already a discrepancy between the illustrations and the animation. In the illustrations the field is narrow with the pitch serving as the sidelines. In the animation the field is wider providing space for sideline staff/stuff and keeping it off the pitch. I would guess the animation is more current and probably more accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think that is already the case in some stadia. I remember somebody faceplanting on the touchline and coming up with those "turf turds" all over their face.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It would be great if they could make that sideline pitch slowly lower itself in the away technical area when Arsène Wenger is having a moan at the 4th official - if he is still with the Arse by then - let's hope he is!

jumhed, Count Chocula and soccernutter repped this.
  14. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So if I understood the video correctly, the tunnel leading to the pitch will be part ramp. In other words, as the players are entering the pitch it's like they're walking up onto a stage.

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    apparently there was a fans forum yesterday and among the reports in various places (SC, ftl, skyscrapercity, etc.) there are a couple of folks saying that there was a point, in response to some other question, at which Levy commented that 'the stadium will be ready on time' - emphasis Levy's, with no caveats, ifs, or whatever.

that seems extraordinary to me, as there's still a long way to go and I can't see the advantage in going out on a limb like that. but there you have it. at the very least, I think we can take it as meaning that progress has been excellent thus far and that things are at least on - if not ahead of - schedule.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they on a 24 hour schedule...yet?

17. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They have been on a 24 hour schedule for months.

soccernutter repped this.
  18. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can click on the images to see them larger

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured that, but was not sure, hence my attempted indication of unsuredness.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a big stadium...relative to WHL, Original.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    very easy to make more of this than it's worth, I admit. but I do kinda like it ...

plus (as David Matzdorf [a fella in the profession who posts countless insights into construction on SC] puts it), the re-use of materials onsite not only saves money for the club, but it saves in other areas (transport/recycling/landfill) that combine to win the project, quote, "major sustainability brownie points".

win/win.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    This is true. Any time someone tries to leave the site, Daniel Levy is waiting for them at the gate and tells them to get back to work...

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    apparently the roof lift has begun. of course, the same was said a few days back ... but this time it appears it may be true.

24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    BalanceUT and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.