New signings?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? Do you mean to say Rev Central has finally listened to the wisdom on this Board and has finally decided they need to replace Twellman? Amazing. Who would believe that they would finally wake up and figure out they need to add a top level striker? Amazing. It's good that they have the experienced coaching brains to tell them what they need. ;)

2. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    And after only 4 months of post-retirement measuring, not 9. :eek:

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question isn't if, it's when. The gap between their planning and execution is far too long for a lot of people (considering the yield in the past 3 seasons).

We are well into phase 4, so this is when they sign players. Although, the real player won't come until July and only if sales figures aren't where they should be.

You get a 6 for that one, Doc ;).

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its a rumor Doc, not need to get your bloomers in a twist. As fast as the the Revs work if they are 90% done, that means this guy will be here in June. Twellman has only been out for over 2 years. they should all be hung for waiting until this season to replace him

5. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this isn't the place to post something like this. I don't know what is.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the person wants to admit it, I'll let him. There's enough people that remember the comment.
    Only took two years. Not bad at all.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some people take all this a bit too seriously. I thought all this was about having fun following a sport we love. If you haven't been watching the adds on TV lately getting hyper or mega anxious isn't healthy :cool:

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Impressive spin!

First of all, quoting an old tweet referring to "now" makes it seem like the quote just happened. It's not a new tweet and we don't even know when the original info for it came from.

And, he didn't say they were starting their search, he said they were stepping it up. Obviously they haven't found their guy yet (or at least hadn't when FDA got his info), so isn't "stepping it up" exactly what we'd want them to do?

Presumably some of their efforts have gone into the 4 guys they have located and signed and FDA's tweet came out around the same time that the news of the 3 signings came out, it makes sense that the context is likely that "now that we've finished these signings, we can put all our efforts into finding the final piece". No?

9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tick, tock, tick, tock

Where is the next signing? We appear to have been stuck at 1 out of 3 for quite some time now.

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I remember it. I think it was one of the first posts I ever responded to.

11. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    who cares about health? i dont want to have a good looking corpse.

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're at 2 of 3. Dabo and Coria.

13. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct but you are also wrong.

We're at 2 of 3 players, as you say.

But I was referring to getting 2 out of 3 steps in the signing process, a threshold the REVs seem to need to pass before they will announce a player.

Apparently, we have been stuck at 1 of 3 which allows them to say there IS a third player but not who he is, where he is from, or what position he will play.

And we've been stuck there for a couple weeks I believe.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I aksed this in another thread, but whut thu hail...

Does Coria count as "International #3" or not? If not, then the alleged Winger to Be Named Later would be #3, and there would be another signing on the way, supposedly a striker.

It would be nice if the club said something to clarify this, otherwise people might be speculating that even though we couldn't score in the proverbial Amsterdam Brothel, all we signed so far are defensive players.

But Dube is going to have a breakout year, golden boot, I tell ya!

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the comment after Domi was signed was that there were 3 more. So Dabo, then Coria, then then the winger. They're also supposedly looking for a striker.

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. We're currently waiting on the winger/attacking mid being signed. There have also been sketchy reports that we identified a striker, but are still in the early stages of trying to sign him.

Off season Signings:

Domi
    Dabo
    Coria
    Unknown Winger -waiting for paperwork
    Identified Possible Striker -(by word of mouth), deal hasn't been reached yet

+ Cochrane + Draftees (2 signed + Kinne will be signed for sure + any others that impress)

18. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Playing the opposite side here for the sake of discussion, I know the party line here has always been "we need a striker," but given that the game plan has been "build the team from the spine up" (Twellman described it that way during the SuperDraft) - shouldn't we have a *little bit* more faith in Perovic and Stolica?

Domi, Dabo, Coria and Soares (who I'm incredibly optimistic about) have all been described as players whose passing and possession ability is their greatest strength. Joseph, assuming no further punishment for his incident, is excellent at holding and service. If the *Winger of Mystery* is a left mid, the revamped backline (whatever it turns out being) and Mystery/Joseph/Dabo/Nyassi is (hopefully) a very respectable, MLS-caliber lineup.

Perovic was able to score 8 goals last year solely on his creativity and set piece proficiency, and Stolica had a respectable strike rate (3 goals in 14 appearances) with limited time to gel with the team. Both guys received nearly no service.

They've shown they can put the ball in the net on the rare occasions they get the chance. If they get more chances thanks to the improved lineup behind them, shouldn't that equal more goals?

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they sign a striker, then they could possible drop Perovic into an attacking mid possition.
    maybe a 3-5-2.
    ..........................................Reis
    ...........Alston......................Soares.................Domi
    .........................Dabo.......................Shalrie
    Nyassi...............................Perovic....................Newguy
    ....................Stolic.............................Newguy
    With the addition of a striker and a left mid Shalrie can stay back more and support the d along with Dabo. I'd feel more comfortable with both of them back there with a rookie CB.

20. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reis
    Coria Barnes Cochrane Domi
    Nyassi Dabo Joseph Tierney
    Perovic
    Stolica

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coria is a right back? Cool.

22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    No--we can't get away with such a slow attack in MLS.

Unless we adopt Houston's style, and they have two guys up top who can head the ball, with Brad Davis and a rapidly improving Danny Cruz crossing it in.

We need a player with the characteristics of a Kei Kamara or Teal Bunbury--two of KC's, actually--who can occupy the center channel AND run at goal with speed.

Dallas had a largely old, immobile in-the-box striker in Rodriguez last year, but they surrounded him with a lightning fast and tenacious midfield in Ferreira, Chavez, Shea, McCarty. We don't have that.

The thought that we could actually have Tierney starting at LM in addition to Stolica-Perovic-Dabo-Joseph, I mean, that's a recipe for failure because Nyassi will be the only speed threat and he can't cross the ball.

I would rather see Perovic moved into a pinched-in LM with Domi overlapping, and then get a Ferreira-level, in-his-prime AM/2nd forward DP behind Stoli.

That's not even to mention Stoli's age, turf, 34 games, etc. Because I don't think anyone believes Dube/Schilawski is the answer and Kinne is still too young.

Either as the true #9 or in a Ferreira position, we need a DP-level forward desperately, and not some old, slow guy. We have plenty of those, thanks.

23. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "Either as the true #9 or in a Ferreira position, we need a DP-level forward desperately, and not some old, slow guy. We have plenty of those, thanks. "

So you are not thrilled at the thought of giving Benni Mc Carthy the No 9 shirt then ?

24. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    There is an Alberto Luque-to-MLS rumor out there, but it's supposed to be NYRB or Chicago.

Still...he's a LM, 33 years old in March, with a big resume but again, old. Sounds like our age bracket and position.

25. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isnt Coria a huge centerback? I think it would be Alston on the right with coria battling it out with barnes and cochrane for a spot