New Quotes

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Mar 11, 2009.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Thanks. Looks much better.

2. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What am i missing. the legibility is the same in those two screenshots i posted

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well I thanked you as soon as I got in and turned on my computer- which is now! ;)

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    But that's obviously false. If the legibility were the same or improved nobody would be complaining. Well, except me ... But I'll always find something! :D

Here's the legibility difference as I saw it.

Bottom: The oversize quotation mark is a visually distracting and extraneous element, and the delineation between the quoted area and the response area is insufficient. The delineation is insufficient because the offset is not enough of a visual clue, and because the oversize quotation mark emphasizes the quoted area and draws your eye away from the main text.

Top: No visually distracting elements, and a clear delineation between the quoted area and the response area (because of the box).

[​IMG]

There are probably ways to improve the quote box (perhaps instead of a border, an understated color change), but if it is changed the distinction between the different text areas should be clear, it should be free of distracting elements and it should be easy on the eyes.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are missing that there is no room for personal preference in something as important as this. My God, the people don't like the quotes, Jesse. Don't you get it? Think about the children. They'll be waking up with nightmares of giant quote marks chasing them and all we will find is sobbing youngsters wondering where the giant close quote is.

Think about the children and not your selfish legibility issues, which we have already determined are just a load of crap!

6. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for changing them back.

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Is this the same guy who did those silly print ads?

Thanks for changing them back, regardless. :) The giant quote mark is distracting and there seems to be a spacing issue between the two styles. In the classic style, there's more room under the quoted text. In the new style, there's less room and there's no line separating the text.

Minor things, but they were annoying.