New Politics Thread

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by Falc, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Honestly, Hillary could not have been much worse than Trump has been on foreign policy. I'm sure she would have tried, though.

2. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Trump's foreign policy sux pretty bad but I still think Hillary would have been worse. There's no natural opposition when a Democrat goes on the war-path its usually more like "oh so-and-so should have been tougher" from the Republicans. There would be little holding her back from retalliation against Russian "interference" in the election.

NickyViola repped this.
  3. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What. No mention of full employment.

4. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "Defense Secretary James Mattis offered a disturbing assessment Tuesday of U.S. involvement in Afghanistan, its longest running war. "We have entered a strategy-free time," he told Congress, sobering words given the 8,400 U.S. troops at risk there and Mattis' further acknowledgement that the U.S. and its Afghan and coalition allies are "not winning.""

5. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    From a a Facebook friend...

"I'm reporting myself Safe in the daily 93-million massacre. Why hasn't biased Facebook set up a Safe Check for this tragedy?"

7. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
  8. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina

Putin loves this shizz.

Calcio Pauly and Deleted User x repped this.
  9. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
  10. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Trudeau is scum.

11. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nicky, as an Austrian are you in principle in favour of a Gold Standard? I say in principle because you're an anarchist and so understand that it might be slightly different for you in practise.

I ask because I'm researching and learning about Modern Monetary Theory and as always am curious about different economic systems and how they might work.

NickyViola repped this.
  12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I'm just against standards altogether, tbh. I enjoy economics a lot but I realize it's just a dumb fantasy and that governments would never limit themselves again like that. No matter, we won't need them for our money soon enough.

The Bahraini guy on your board, his username escapes me, introduced me to MMT. It seems a lot more compatible with modern nation-states than a gold standard does.

totti fan repped this.
  13. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    @Salmeen10

Salmeen10 repped this.
  14. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Germany opposes America's Russia sanctions.

"Germany threatened on Friday to retaliate against the United States if new sanctions on Russia being proposed by the U.S. Senate end up penalizing German firms.
    The Senate bill, approved on Thursday by a margin of 98-2, includes new sanctions against Russia and Iran. Crucially, it foresees punitive measures against entities that provide material support to Russia in building energy export pipelines.
    Berlin fears that could pave the way for fines against German and European firms involved in Nord Stream 2, a project to build a pipeline carrying Russian gas across the Baltic"

Austria also slammed the new sanctions.

Hungary, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, and Greece already opposed Russian sanctions.

15. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here's a good vid of Austrian v MMT if you're so inclined and have a spare couple of hours:

I'm a bit more optimistic than you. I believe that our ability to understand things as a society often depends on our need to understand. For example global Keynesian policies (more similar than different to MMT) implemented after WWII delivered the most prolonged period of shared economic growth in Global/American History. But it took the devastation of WWII rooted in economic causes and so we'll probably get there again but only after a lot of death and devastation on a global scale.

16. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    haha Yeah, that's the video @Salmeen10 told me to watch. I'm not really a Murphy guy even if he can be very entertaining at times. He definitely can't debate for shizz, it seems.

And I'm not sure how your it's-going-to-take-a-lot-of-death-and-destruction scenario makes you more optimistic than me and my free-market-alternatives-will-simply-out-compete-governments scenario, but... ;)

totti fan repped this.
  17. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    One of the interesting things about the video is that at the end the bond/FX traders in the room were all siding with the MMT guy and against the Austrian "free market" guy. He did say people would disown him if he lost.

You really think that (under your scenario) governments will give up all their power to anarchy and the free markets without a massive fight. Either way there will be blood and lots of it.

btw Warren Mosler (credited as the founder of MMT) advocates permanently setting the FED funds rate at zero and claims the FED is essentially a public entity and not private, a viewpoint I've previously bought into as well.

NickyViola repped this.
  18. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I thought murphy did a terrible job explaining anything in this debate but Mosler is a beast. I'm a trader myself so I might be inclined to hear Mosler's realistic explanations over Murphy's academic tone.

Wether his economics check out or not, I'm not sure yet. I have yet to read a critique of MMT and I'm sure there are some.

NickyViola repped this.
  19. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    The more they try to cut down on it the more demand there will be for it. What did Leia say in the first Star Wars movie? Something along Ong the lines of "the more you tighten your grip, Darth, the more star systems will squeeze through your fingers..." or some shizz.

20. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Two countries that are a threat to the petrodollar monopoly.

totti fan repped this.
  21. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Typical politician. And I doubt it was an innocent leak. Now the world knows who he is as he's endeared himself to the anti-Trump crowd without saying anything on the record.

On another note.

Have you guys noticed how the term "populism" is being used by the establishment in such a negative tone? Phrases like "the threat of populism" or "the disturbing trend in the rise of populism". So the will of the people is something they hate? It's something bad? For them it is because they are a band of thieves that have nothing but contempt for us.

totti fan repped this.
  23. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
  24. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I just feel like, if the Dems were to distribute the wealth they spend on failed House races, equitably among the little people... Hell, we'd be living in a utopia already.

Midfield General and Falc repped this.