New mls supporters

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Jacob Johnson Ramirez, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Jacob Johnson Ramirez

Sep 8, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Hello guys. Sorry if this thread has been done a hundered times or if im posting this in the wrong spot. I was wondering if there is a place to give a loe down on the teams in the league. I am trying to get into the league as i want soccer to grow in this country. I know alot of people who would like to support the league but feel too misinformed or alienated to become a fan. Was wondering if some people could talk about their teams amd reasons for supporting. Thanks

2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't really support a specific team, but there are a few teams I go out of my way to watch. LA Galaxy mainly. I kind of adopted them when the league first began because I liked Cobi Jones and Jorge Campos a lot. Later on Donovan going there for a long stint cemented them as the closest thing I had to a favorite. I still watch Galaxy whenever I can despite a bad season this year.

Seattle I like to watch as well, because of the great atmosphere and Dempsey. I like RSL too, a good example of a semi dubious start turning into a team with a interesting workman-like identity.

Mainly, though, I follow the whole league because, like you said, I am interested in the continued growth of U.S. soccer. MLS isn't perfect and has a long way to go in earning regional respect let alone global, but nonetheless I'm amazed at its growth since the early 2000s. I would suggest to simply watch some games until you find a team or player that catches your attention.

Jacob Johnson Ramirez repped this.
  3. Jacob Johnson Ramirez

Sep 8, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Thanks man, i live near dallas and ive been to some fc dallas games. I couldnt really connect but id like to have a team i could support and actually attend games. Is geography a main reason to support a team? Or would it be better to root for a team with an attractive playstyle?

4. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    I'm a brand new Atlanta United fan and they are certainly fun to watch. But I started watching whatever MLS games I could fine the moment I heard we were getting a team, so about 2 years prior to this one. Watched games on an off for years prior to that. Teams and games I tend to seek-out include...

• Seattle vs. Portland - One of the few genuine rivalries in the league with some real history and passion, and always entertaining to watch.
    • Sporting Kansas City - The polar opposite of Atlanta. They don't score a ton, but they are the best defensive team in the league by a wide margin. Can't help but respect them.
    • NYCFC - One of the newer teams and I've been highly critical of the fact that they play in Yankee Stadium. But they are good and generally entertaining to watch. David Villa could be league MVP. I'm also quickly starting to enjoy the rivalry games with the Red Bulls.
    • LA Galaxy - Having an awful year but they've been the most successful club in the league over its history and have had a ton of star players. They are arguably the league's biggest brand so most MLS fans can't help but root for them or against them, kinda like the Dallas Cowboys or NY Yankees, but on a smaller scale.
    • Also, I tend to be a sucker for any team that has a great home environment. Love the soccer-specific stadiums with raucous supporters sections. Seattle and Atlanta both have attendance that is double the league average, and I happen to love attending ATL games, yet I'm still kinda jealous of the teams that have beautiful and unique, soccer-specific stadiums and strong fan support such at Portland and Sporting KC.