New Manager + New Technical Director

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    guys remember its just sports

nmssis repped this.
  2. zeke714

zeke714 Member

Aug 9, 2018
    What exactly do KFA see in him? Because I cannot even find one good article about him.

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  3. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    #1753 LeeSeungWoo, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Based on what?

He’s been fking shit for the past 4 yrs. Theres a reason y no one is reaching out to him these days.

Hes very well known for relying too much on best 11 as well. Not a good sign for our youngsters.

I will even go further to say id rather keep STY than spending 3 mil/yr to hire this guy.

But like I said bf... this is the reality. There is no reason for top managers to manage our NT for 4 yrs. its a diff story if its only 1-2 yrs right bf WC..

4. zeke714

zeke714 Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Folks, say your prayers to God, Allah, Odin, Dangun.. 'cause it will be 2 hellish years.

5. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    This was all such a tease for such a massive disappointment.

chook90 repped this.
  6. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/06/12/portugal-world-cup-2014/

We are going to struggle through the AC and through WCQs. Sigh.

7. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Of course KFA would fck up again! Classic!

8. PacMan over again

South Korea
    Mar 4, 2018
    Shibal room salon and business class airfares for KFA family members to continue.

9. zeke714

zeke714 Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Any news on Flores?

10. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I know not much about the guy, but him only lasting half a season with a Chinese club does not bode well for him.

seolseol repped this.
  11. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

12. zeke714

zeke714 Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I bet this guy cannot even properly manage a K-League club, let alone a NT.

13. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Watch Japan eat him like a Bento lunch box special during the first haniljeon.

chook90, soul24rage, pkk78 and 2 others repped this.
  14. zeke714

zeke714 Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I still cannot wrap my head on the decision, I wonder if there is a deeper meaning behind this bizarrre appointment. Maybe, a Chinese lobby group that has ties with some executives in KFA to bargain large sums of money in exchange of managers in China to purposely damage our progress. What you guys think?

15. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Lol, that's too wild of a speculation that only a very concerned Korean will come up with it ;)

chook90 repped this.
  16. zeke714

zeke714 Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Notice how our only losses against China was during Stielike's tenure and after his sacking, went straight to China. Could be a possibility.

17. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Our first lost vs China was under Friendship Radish.

chook90 and aeh1991 repped this.
  18. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Can't really make the connection but on the seperate note I have a feeling you are ConcernedK.

chook90 and jessypjs repped this.
  19. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He didn't get the "concerned" part.

killaorca repped this.
  20. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    #1770 skim172, Aug 16, 2018
    I'm a bit underwhelmed by this hire. The guy doesn't have the best career history. His high point was as manager of Sporting, winning two domestic cups and finishing second place a couple times. He took them to the Champions League, and once made it past group stage, where he set the record for most goals allowed in a knockout round, losing 12-1 on aggregate. He was criticized for dull and unattractive gameplans, poor player management, and was fired in his fifth season with the club in 7th place.

Then he became manager of Portugal (somehow), where his greatest accomplishment was losing in the 2012 Euro semifinal. That seems less impressive when you consider that the same group of players would go on to win Euro 2016 without him. At the 2014 World Cup, they were eliminated in the group stage - by the USA, against whom they just managed a draw due to Ronaldo's last-minute equalizer. A few months later, Bento was fired when he lost to Albania in Euro 2016 qualifiers. Possibly the best decision the Portuguese FA ever made, since they went on to win the whole damn thing.

Then Bento went to Cruzeiro in Brazil - and was fired after just 2 and a half months.

Then he went to Olympiakos in Greece, where he did win a title, but was fired before the season ended because of a streak of matches with no goals scored, publicly calling out his players and front office, and general poor performances. Olympiakos winning the league in Greece is nothing special anyway.

And then to China - where he somehow got himself fired in 7 months. In China. I think I could randomly pick BigSoccer posters to manage a team in China and at least half would last longer than that.

This guy seems to be, at best, an underachiever, and at worst, a consistent failure. And doesn't seem like a candidate for any international coaching position. I'd be hesitant to hire him if I was Mongolia - much less a national side that's expected to make the World Cup. I'm so confused by this decision.

Even Shin Tae Yong is preferable, if only because his track record of failures and underachievements is shorter.

21. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #1771 Seol Korea, Aug 16, 2018
    You'd be surprised, the Portuguese aren't really fond of CQ more than they are with Bento.

22. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    #1772 killaorca, Aug 16, 2018
    In all honesty, we weren't going to sign a great foreign manager because A. We're Korea and B. No top managers want to work with a national team. It's all about club football.

If we weren't gonna sign a good foreign manager maybe we could have went with a Korean that is promising and hungry. Someone like Kim Jongboo or Nam Ki-il. But the problems with that are 1. K-league hasn't finished 2. Kfa would probably stick with STY because they think it's more fair and don't want to cause drama.

23. smrmgmd

smrmgmd Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1773 smrmgmd, Aug 16, 2018
    Am I the only one satisfied with Bento?

Quique was too good to be true. No manager in their prime would come to Korea. It had to be someone looking for an opportunity to bounce his career back up and Bento''s current situation fit.

One positive is his connection with Sporting could help some of our players move to Sporting or other top teams in Portuguese league.

TaegukRedDevil and killaorca repped this.
  24. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    There's also Montella.

chook90 repped this.
  25. smrmgmd

smrmgmd Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He recently managed Milan and Sevilla. I'm sure he could get an offer from some other clubs around that level in Europe.