New Manager + New Technical Director

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    STY is just clueless. That's his problem.

Kanuck, TaegukRedDevil and chook90 repped this.
  2. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    RIP STY's career. I'm unsure why he accepted the position. We need to fully support him now that he's been appointed to the position. At the same time, I don't think he's capable of guiding us to safety given our current state.

KSY, SHM, KJC are a huge loss that makes it so hard for us to qualify. We'll have to see how he deploys JDW, LCY and HHC. LSW is unlikely to feature anytime soon. Perhaps we see PCY back sooner than later. I don't know... This will likely end in tears.

3. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I disagree. With our current state and situation STY only has to improve our play (which won't be hard given where Uli took the team) and get us qualified to meet the lowered expectation. Anything more would be gravy (unless we flame out in a spectacular fashion at the WC, as in 0 and 3.)

LeeSeungWoo and doraemon repped this.
  4. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Did he have other options? I know that not every over 23 player were willing to join the olympic team in Rio (i'm talking about the ones already "medaled")

5. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    That says much about the qualities of the others, plus he did have a better form back then and played regularly, unlike during the last qualifier games. Anyway, nobody likes him as much as Stielike does/did.

6. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ?

If it was about quality, Son HM should have been the captain. Or even Kwon CH...
    We'll see... Shin TY did nothing but praise Jang HS in the past. Again, crazy enough to pick him as the captain (when he ran away from FC Tokyo to CSL for playing time)...

As for Qatar Messi/Nam TH.. i'm positive he is Shin TY type of player .. especially based on Shin TYs crazy roster selection for U23 & U20s (imo, he was worse than Uli Stielike in selecting players)

edit - a bit ironic JHS will return to FC Tokyo (this team is a mess atm) for "playing time"

7. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I was talking about the other CBs. Also, he was the oldest so probably got the captain role because of that. But anyway it was crazy and stupid to pick him from the beginning, agree. I think STY wanted HJH to be that role and after his decline, he was looking for a "HJH copy", which failed completely.

8. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    some of you guys are asinine to the point of delusion. go create your own starting 11 (not what you predict shin taeyong will select) without son heungmin kisung yong and ku jachul and see if it looks good enough to get the job done against iran and uzbekistan

9. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i think Suk HJ is older...

10. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i am unreasonable for being incredibly disappointed? it's like no one learned from 2014, and HMB was an arguably better manager than STY at this point of both careers

Kanuck, TaegukRedDevil and killaorca repped this.
  11. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Even though STY has managed u20 before, I have this feeling that he select players by their seniority. For example, for u20 world cup, He mostly selected uni players (97) instead of pro players that were younger (98). I said this before but I think it would have been better if he selected Jang Gyulhee, Kim Jinya, and Park Myeongsu (98). Both KJY and PMS have been getting some PT for their respective K-league side. Also, if he had scouted better, maybe he could have selected Yoo Juan who is an 18 years old and has 2 goals and an assist in his first 3 appearances. I think they would have done better than some of the uni players he had selected.
    If he does go by seniority, I don't see LSW being selected anytime soon...

12. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I agree about Kim Jin Ya, but I don't think including PMS and JGH would have made a huge difference. Yoo Juan was also not at his actual level back then. And he selected Cho Young Wook who is a 99, so it was not about the age.
    I don't blame him because of his squad selection but his tactical experiments with non-professional players was a really bad idea.

13. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Same age :)

14. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Suk = 26
    Jang HS = 25 atm..

so.. technically, Suk HJ was the oldest in the squad & during the tournament :whistling:

15. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    PMS and JGH would have made a huge difference compared to the shitty fullbacks we had. Our fbs for our u20 team was the biggest liability. Woo Chayang and the other guy can't provide any offensive or defensive cover for the team. Also PMS was more match fit probably because he had more PT than any of our fbs we had. Instead none of these guys were called up.
    For Yoo Juan, yes he wasn't playing but if STY had scouted, maybe he could have seen more potential in him than the attackers he selected. CYW can't barely score against u20 teams but we have a guy that's scoring against senior sides. It makes me question "what if he was selected instead?"

16. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ******** the KFA. that's all I want to say.

Kanuck repped this.
  17. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Albeit Iran wanting to finish the WCQs without a single loss and zero goals conceded, I still see CQ rotating in some new faces next month but not by a big fraction, and Shin Tae-yong has no choice but to go all in. I'm a bit 50-50 on the Uzbekistan match as the Uzbeks will most likely come off from a 1-0 win vs China (I would be more surprised if Lippi draws them though.) and trying to knock us off to 3rd at Home, but at the same time, they have a tendency to choke in matches that matters most.

It's gonna be a tough two final WCQs, but if Shin Tae-yong manages to succeed, then the KFA must provide him with a proper tune up matches starting from October, and a training camp in the beginning of 2018. Granted that I am not expected much out of Shin Tae-yong nor am I expecting some kind of super squad buildup for the WC if we manage to qualify, I just hope that he doesn't make the same mistake that Hong Myung-bo did in neglecting the K-Leaguers.

doraemon repped this.
  18. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #268 AIL1998, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Dear Koreans,

When Uli Stielike was appointed as KNT head coach, It was very clear for me KNT will not have a good future with him. You can see my reaction to his appointment in the following link where I said I even take Hong Myung bo over him:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-official-2014-korea-nt-thread-part-iii-r.2008134/page-24

Later on after Korea lost to Spain in a friendly match, I again said that I was not impressed with his appointment. I remember Ice cube said he was not impressed either. Then I had discussion with one of the members (zdrstvte) and told him based on the results, Korean coaches are the best local coaches in Asia. I even told him that top Korean coaches are much better than Stielike but he was not convinced and said top Korean coaches have been tried. Cannot spend a lot of time to find the page of that thread to post its link here.

After China vs Korea match, Seol Korea posted the following comment:

Van Marwijk - "It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to become the manager of the KNT"
    "I had planned to make Korea into a good team."
    "It's also unfortunate because even through thorough video analysis, I would've been able to fully understand the K-League and Korean Football."
    "Just because you frequently attend matches doesn't mean that you fully understand football."
    With these comments alone, you can clearly see that Van Marwijk fully understands the situation and problem. He knows how much of a shit manager Stielike is and how much he's ruining the KNT.

@ Seol Korea: Did Van Marwijk really said those sentences? Source? In those sentences, Van Marwijk still was not very frank and straightforward about Stiekike unlike Branko Ivankovic. Do you remember Branko Ivankovic? Do you think is he qualified to judge Stielike? Before start of the final round Asian WC Qualifiers 2018, he said Korea will be the weakest team in this final round out of top 5 teams and talked about the importance of having a competent manager for qualifiers and said having a competent manager is almost as important as having good squad. Then Branko Ivankovic said he does not accept Uli Stielike as a manager :D

You can find the following bolded farsi sentence in the following link (The link is the interview of Branko Ivankovic with Iranian news agencies before this final round of qualifiers):

من سرمربی کره جنوبی را قبول ندارم.

http://qudsonline.ir/news/365251/هم-داربی-را-می-خواهم-هم-قهرمانی-بهتر-است-ایران-با-کره-جنوبی

The above bolded Persian (farsi) sentence means that he (Branko Ivankovic) does not accept Stielike as a manager. Persian (farsi) is the language of Iranians.

During this final round of WC qualifiers, he had a long interview with Khabar Varzeshi (One of the Iranian sport newspapers) and again he said that KNT is not managed by a competent coach :D Cannot spend a lot of time to find this one.

Regard sacking Uli Stielike, IMO this should have happened earlier. I accept Shin Tae Yong much better than Stielike but he took over at a time that changing the coach cannot guarantee better results (I meant better results only for last two qualifier games) At least It will not be worse than Stielike for last two qualifier games and It will be much better than Stielike for long term. For long term, I think appointing a world class foreign coach is the best choice for KNT. Someone like Lauran Blanc is good for KNT.

Before your last two qualifier games of the group, IMO Korea should play one friendly match.

I am surprised that Park Chu Young was never used in this campaign. IMO Kim Shin wook should rarely be invited to the team. Whenever he is in the line up the team stops playing and start to send long balls even from middle of the field. To be frank I do not think Hwang Hee-chan is that good striker either and JDW is a winger not a central forward. So IMO a fit Park Chu Young should always start. Lee Seung-woo should have been invited to the team right before start of last round like what CQ did with Ezatolahi or Fernando Santos did with Renato Sanches. For first 2-3 matches of the last round, he should have been just on the bench to be familiar with atmosphere of the senior team then he should have been used as a sub and after being used as a sub for 2-3 matches, the coach could use him in the line up completely and prepare him for bigger games.

Anyway good luck.

19. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    @AIL1998, No, it was directed at Stielike also I believe it was taken from a dutch broadcasting station NOS.nl, although I wasn't able to find the footage.

AIL1998 repped this.
  20. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Branko Ivankovic surprise you with his opinion/words about Stielike or it was not surprising for you?

21. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah, I remember Ivankovic - the very manager that had us knocked out at the QF's of the 2004 AFC Asian Cup in China. And, no his comments regarding Stielike does not strike/surprise me at all, because everyone knows that Stielike is a third rate sub-par manager. Hell, even the Qataris were warning and questioning the hiring of Stielike 3 years ago, as well as many Germans came up on stand to voice more about the senile fool.

AIL1998 repped this.
  22. DHMGKorea

DHMGKorea Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Oct 11, 2016
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Jung Hae Sung has officially resigned as the assistant coach for the KNT.

23. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Seol Ki-hyeon should soon follow.

24. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    How do you best translate "poisoned chalice" in Korean?

25. wellbeing

wellbeing Red Card

Jul 5, 2017
    I didnt know he was a staff member.