New Illinois Yellow Card Rules

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by soccershins, Oct 2, 2014.

1. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Illinois implemented a new rule this year where if a team accumulates 25+ yellow cards in a season, they can be banned from the post season. does anyone else find this to be too harsh? 25 yellow cards is a lot, but i think that is too tough of a punishment.

link: Illinois Yellow Cards

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I guess this means South Suburban Academy teams are not going to make it to the Post Season?

3. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With teams playing over 20 games that seems a bit of an over reach.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Illinois really know what they are doing :) move away.

5. UofIneedssoccer

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Just another stupid rule from the IHSA. They have continued to try to kill soccer in this state and one more nail in the coffin. Some teams are hacks but the referees our the problem for the most part. The path to being a H.S. Referee in Illinois is being the greater at Walmart.

6. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    U of I

Yea, pretty much the point.

Where I live, to give referees the control of soccer teams being able to play for their championship would make a lot of sense. We have many referees who have very little experience ever playing the game. They just don't get it.

Many of them do not know the rules, or are unable to enforce them properly under game conditions, in game situations. They are so overwhelmed, so in over their heads, they can barely see straight.

Then, of course, we have a few who are diabolical. They honestly believe they have a right to determine the game based on their will and emotions at any time. They have friends and they have enemies. There is nothing the coaches and players can do. These people decide the game and they believe they are right in doing so. Their primary talent is the ability to completely control momentum with the use of their whistle. We have refs who will kill off the last 5 minutes of a game for their friends if the opponents are applying pressure and pushing for the win.

Yea, giving these guys control over whether a team can play for their championship is a good idea. Its right up there with parents calling all the shots in US Youth Soccer, bringing in boatloads of English soccer coaches to the US who can't coach in their own country which is renown for terrible/horrible/lazy coaching, etc....

Makes sense.

7. keeper dad

keeper dad Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I believe I heard at the beginning of the season that there were in the neighborhood of 30 teams that would not have been able to play in the state series last year if the rule had been in place. A friend on mine's son received the first yellow card in his 3 varsity seasons earlier this year for persistent infringment. He asked for the card and the ref pointed to the 3 fouls he had committed in quick succession only for the player to point out he had just checked into the game and it was his first foul. At the end of the game the ref came up and admitted he was wrong but by that point the damage was done and the team had lost 4% of their allotted cards for the season.

My nephew plays in Central Illinois and his coach really thought this was their year to go deep (it's not) but his main concern was the new yellow card rule, they would have been excluded last year. He had to worry about card management rather than team management.

What I don't understand is how arbitrary these rules can be made for soccer. I am asking this, assuming the answers are no but if the answers are correct let me know. Is there a limit to the number of technical fouls in basketball a team can get? Unsportsmanlike conduct in football (or total flags)? Double faults in tennis? False starts in track or swimming?

8. UofIneedssoccer

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    I could not agree with you more. Yellow cards are used as warnings and that is all they should be used for. We have a joke in our household as" Yellow Card Jail" when the crowd chants for a yellow card. But this is Illinois where the number one State School does not have a soccer team.

SheHateMe repped this.
  9. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Title 9 baby

Title 9

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to say that in New York State the Junior College rule is now only 20 yellow cards

11. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This sounds like a good rule to the Amature. Meaning will cut down on bull shit tackles.

this assumes it is the coaches fault more then the players. It is like they condone bad tackles. Maybe in some cases they do especially when the players hear a color commentator condone it be calling it the professional foul.

So how would a coach stop it. How about actually teaching a player how to tackle the ball the right way. Suppose the coach has no clue how to teach tackling in the right way.

I guarantee you the pencil pushers who wrote this new rule have no clue how to tackle the right way. They just are amatures who think the rule sounds good because they heard of it used in other states.

12. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pretty sure our kid drew almost twenty yellows his first season of HS soccer and club fixtures that year 2012. It should have been better than thirty. Kid was always covered with bruises after every match. Vermont has three great refs !

13. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How many games was he thrown out. How many games suspensions did he serve?

14. bluechicago

bluechicago Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that this seems like a silly rule, BUT, as a parent of a child who typically touches the ball frequently in Illinois high school games, this sounds great to me. Unfortunately high school soccer is in many cases not very good, you are mixing very skilled players with very skilled athletes. Sadly the athletes realize very quickly that the skilled players can and will make them look bad, and they resort to tackling them, HARD, repeatedly. Unfortunately many of the refs struggle to keep up with the game and it can get out of hand. I look forward to less bruises this year as hopefully coaches will be quicker to pull players that are frequent foulers.

I think that the rule is less about giving refs control, even the IHSA in all their infinite wisdom is aware that the refs suck, and more about holding the coaches accountable for their players. At least I hope thats how they think it will work.

jeremys_dad and mwulf67 repped this.
  15. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I do think that the penalty for hard fouls outside of the 18 is too easy in all of soccer. Will a 25 yellow card rule change this? What if a team has not chance at the post- season? Are they free to hack away?
    I'd rather see the penalty for a hard foul outside of the 18 be a Corner Kick for the team that was fouled. That will teach teams to clean up their play and challenge for a ball legally.

16. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When a player draws a foul he is getting fouled. ( so I thought) Drawing fouls now is an art form, and drawing fouls is not necessarily diving. Kid has mostly committed a few technical fouls (cards) and one card for pacing off what ten yards is supposed to look like .... Crowd went wild with laughter .... Five to eight fouls a game was not unusual. But it was seldom the same kid fouling him. Persistence is seldom considered. Nowadays his new school league has better players and officials, and his club mostly playing showcase is the same. A cleaner environment... Playing D really cuts down on how many times he gets fouled.