New Goal Kick Signal? LAG v NYRB

Discussion in 'Referee' started by AspireNatlRef, Oct 19, 2007.

1. AspireNatlRef

AspireNatlRef Member

Jul 13, 2007
    New Orleans
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While watching the game on the ESPN2 I saw at least 3 times the Referee (Stott) indicate a goal kick by pointing down-field towards the attacking direction instead of pointing towards the goal area. I do about 150 matches a year and this confused the hell out of me. This happened on both sides of the pitch (46th min for LA and 48th for NY).

Now I am not trying to be picky, but I was lost here. Even my brother, who doesn't play or officiate caught this and asked me about it, so I pulled out the Guide to Procedures and checked it out.

Have you seen this before or was this just a lapse?

Not that I look to the MLS for a guide to officiating.
    ANR

2. refereejoe

refereejoe New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Bay Area - Cal North
    When you are given a FIFA badge you get to make up the signals as you go.

Just kidding.

Unless we receive a memo from our SDI or national, the signals remain the same. Point at the goal for a goal kick, corner for a corner kick, spot of the kickoff for a kickoff, and the direction of the kick for everything else. Not rocket science, but evidently still a challenge for at least one FIFA to get :)

3. markland57

markland57 New Member

Mar 14, 2000
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Point to the goal area when the ball goes out of play. If the ball has been spotted and some interruption (substitute, etc.) has occurred, why not indicate the direction of attack to resume play? I've seen this before, especially when the CR has followed an attack into the box. If the CR finds himself near the 6, he points down to it first, then indicates the direction of attack of the kicking team.

4. Citiref

Citiref New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    The only other country I've seen that signal used is Germany. So I'm assuming that's where he got it from. I don't find it confusing or wrong at all.

Why not?

5. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Haven't you heard; it's a Mickey Mouse league.
    Real professionals can't be bothered with MLS.

6. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Stott has also been using the "safe" signal for "no foul" situations, which I have also seen used in the EPL. Sounds like he is adding signals that he finds effective to his repertoire (did I spell that right??).

7. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    What I found more interesting was that ussoccer-data had Brian Hall listed as the referee and Kevin as the 4th. I wonder when it was switched. Now there's a conversation I would've liked to hear.

8. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

I wonder if it had to do with the fact that Brian Hall was the referee on last Thursday night's "game of the week" where he sent a player off for abusive language. Knowing the same announcers would be on the match, perhaps US Soccer thought better of having him on the showcase game a week removed for the last situation...?

9. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    That what I figure, but if that was their thought process, why was he still listed on the web as the referee? If he was going to be the 4th why not put him down as the 4th?

10. Spaceball

Spaceball Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Brian is listed as the referee for Saturday's match between Chivas and Houston on MLSnet. Two days is a very short turnaround at that level so perhaps a decision was made to put him on that match and they never changed the website...after all it was the same referee's involved. The change only needs to be made before the assessment is posted.

11. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always go with open-handed, palm up point to the area to avoid confusion with a penalty, which is a direct point to the spot.