New England Red Sox vs DC United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Aug 25, 2017.

1. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    yes. Hammy apparently. I think Goff tweeted that his Bolivian national team duty has been canceled as a result. But only expected to be sidelined for about 2 weeks.

I hope Harkes starts. He seemed to be warming up pretty hard the other night. He's better than the other options even if he's not at 100% fitness. As far as I'm concerned I'd be happy to never see Jeffrey in uniform ever again.

JRHokie, gringolimon and Boloni86 repped this.
  2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The report was that Miranda had a thigh injury. If so, that's better news IMO because you generally know when your thigh has healed but even a hammy that seems to be OK often bites you.

Yes, I want to see Harkes also. It will permit Canouse to roam around like a full DM. Arriola wa seriously gassed after Wednesday's match, but I'm hoping he's good for another 90. Acosta went a full 90, which is rare for him, so I don't know if we can expect him to repeat it. If he is subbed out and Harkes is already on the pitch, I don't know that we have a like sub, unless someone like Mullins drops back as a withdrawn forward. I would like to see some of Sieber, but he prefers to play out wide. Benny could surprise us, of course. After all, we've see NDL all over the pitch and Franklin came in as a RW Wednesday.

3. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Wow. I've got to say, this is one of my favorite posts in a long time. In a year of pure shite, you sir are the king of silver linings.

4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    May be on a record setting pace to go from promising youth to crippled has been. DC United training should be right up there with running with scissors and throwing rocks as a source of preventable injuries

Winoman repped this.
  5. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    More like crippled-never-was for Miranda but I hope this isn't the case and he returns at 100% and maybe even more determined than ever. It really sucks that it happen now; everyone in Bolivia was looking forward to seeing him play in these 2 upcoming crucial must win WCQ games. I really hope this young fellow lives up to his potential and becomes a huge asset for our national team and D.C. United. It's been a long time since I've seen this historic club in the CCL. As for wishful thinking, let's hope this is the beginning of United's revival and thee club to dethrone Mexico in the CCL and turn some heads in the World Club Cup.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  6. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU seemed to stop leaking goals when we went back to playing two defensive-minded central midfielders in front of the back four.

Rotating combinations of Canouse with Marcelo and even Jeffrey have recently been effective. We may be creating fewer scoring opportunities, but the D is less porous.

I will be interesting to see how the team adjusts, when Harkes comes back. I do not see him as a defense first sort of midfielder. Defensive positioning, anticipation, blocking passing lanes, nor tackling seem to be his forte.

Canouse has looked really strong as a #6. Maybe with him, we can go back to a lone DM and more easily accommodate a central midfielder like Harkes.

NicktheGreek, dadman, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    His Alter Ego Owno Golatino punished Juventus today for having the temerity to change their logo to that double J, he's all powerful and omnipresent and easy to piss off

shawn12011 repped this.
  8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Hamid, Opare, Robinson, De Leon, Franklin, Canouse, Sarvas, Stieber, Arriola, Acosta, Mullins

Bench : Clark, Korb, Odoi Atsem, Jeffrey, Harkes, Sam, Brown.

Excited to see that Canouse and Arriola have the stamina to pull off 3 starts in 1 week. We'll see if there's any tired legs on the 2nd half. Would love to see Harkes getting minutes at some point.

Winoman and dcu n bntwn repped this.
  9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    10 minutes and we've yet to connect more than 3 passes. Very poor. I'm starting to worry about heavy legs from Wednesday. We just need to hang in there and hope the Revs can't sustain their high tempo.

shawn12011 repped this.
  10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This Mullins drought is becoming absurd. Next time Stieber should just shoot that himself.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    That's the Stieber I expect. Should be the most sophisticated player on the team in possession. Good decision maker and clean technique on dribbling, passing and shooting

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Stieber by far the best on the field. One shot on goal, one shot just wide, created 4 shots for team mates, drew 2 corners and some back heal passes to boot.

I still feel like Arriola and Acosta are having energy issues. Canouse seems to be handling the fatigue much better.

The backline is solid defending, but very poor playing out of the back. Starting Franklin in particular makes no sense to me. I'd prefer Korb or Odoi Atsem.

The most disappointing to me is Mullins. Just bring Brown into the game. It can't get any worse.

I'd also bring Harkes in for Sarvas who is just too slow in everything he does.

And my final criticism is to the RFK pitch. Just horrible. I think they already stopped trying to maintain it

Winoman and TowsonDad repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a goal here we just have to find it.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh and the 1000s of fans dressed as orange seats.

15. Ian Scullen

Ian Scullen Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I must be behind on the latest fashion trends.

16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Own goal is feeling shunned that he was not given the chance to finish that one.

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done and dusted. Well Shammy? What do you think. 9 points on the week.

18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #43 roadkit, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Good result, and a really nice build up to the goal.

Mullins shouldn't be as low energy as he was considering he hasn't been playing much.

And don't mess with the Zoltan.

I have to give the FO credit - I don't want to, but I must. Our new additions are actually having a very positive impact on the team.

tallguy, shawn12011, mosca and 4 others repped this.
  19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Also - the Acosta haters are now relieved of duty. He is the most impactful player we've had in a decade at least.

tallguy, Winoman and big spaniel repped this.
  20. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stieber might turn out excellent. I remember Olsen saying the game is easy for him, and that looks accurate. Maybe he will rub off on the rest and raise the whole level.

Real Mobile, mosca and Winoman repped this.
  21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    You have to feel sorry for some of the other guys on the team. Stiebert makes them look like they are the owner's knucklehead nephews.
    3 games 9 unexpected points and Own Goal didn't need to intervene. Happy Happy

roadkit, Winoman and dadman repped this.
  22. pablo1neum

pablo1neum Member

Jun 19, 2003
    BOWIE!
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zoltan the Magnificent!

Winoman repped this.
  23. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    To paraphrase the Eagles -- "we haven't seen movement and passing like this 2007."

Stieber was a revelation -- just plays like a very competent professional. He and Acosta already have a rapport. If this team could find a forward who could score on a regular basis, it would be dangerous.

Robinson can play in MLS. The problem is that got so few games during his developmental years that he's behind the curve. His defending is fine, his distribution is poor. Opare is a bit better, but both can play shut down defense.

The game was not as close as the score.

dadman, roadkit, DCUSA and 3 others repped this.
  24. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Playoffs here we come!

Steiber was great. I don't really understand why he was removed.

I also will never understand why Ben keeps putting Sarvas and Franklin out there. What's the point??? Put next year's line up out there and let them get used to each other now when it doesn't really matter.

Hopefully we'll find a goal scorer under a rock somewhere. Or maybe Miranda can do it?

Boloni86, sitruc, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good looking game. The midfield seems to really be coming together, and I think that's making a big difference for our back line. Fewer turnovers in awkward places on the field and a lot more ground being covered. If Olsen replaces Marcelo with Harkes, it would be the most technically-proficient midfield we've had in many, many years.

The problem with our strikers isn't just limited to not scoring, though. Right now, Mullins isn't combining at all with the MF, meaning that our midfield is playing a lot of side-to-side and not as much forward. We need that forward, along with being a good finisher, to be able to link up -- I'm hopeful for Miranda, but I'm more hopeful for some offseason moves.

Still -- and with the caveat that the opposition wasn't much to write home about -- three shutouts and three wins in one week is great. And though the own goal stuff is a little fluky, the team has played well in each of the matches, deserving at least a point. Big, big improvement.

dadman, dcu n bntwn, DCUSA and 1 other person repped this.