New Dynamo head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 24, 2019.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #1 newtex, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Twitter reports have the Dynamo signing Tab Ramos as the new head coach.

Sorry, I'm not good on linking tweets.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per source, hearing that <a href="https://twitter.com/RamosTab?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@RamosTab</a> will be named the next head coach of the Houston Dynamo. Deal completed. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ForeverOrange?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#ForeverOrange</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HoustonDynamo?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#HoustonDynamo</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dynamo?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Dynamo</a></p>&mdash; Kristian Dyer (@KristianRDyer) <a href="
    ">October 24, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Great hire if true. I'm doubtful.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Hiring Tab Ramos - and him accepting - is completely incongruous and not easily reconcilable to what this club has done. Was he desperate to get a professional head coaching job?

I think it’s a great hire, but utterly mystifying to see him take a job where he answers to Matt Jordan

*rey*, Dynam0 and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  6. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Not to mention he is used to developing youth but we have no system to do any of that.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i will be curious if he got payroll assurances and/or jordan ousted. i would want more budget than we have, and i would either want to pick my own people or have my "guy" as GM. i know he wants to get adult level cred but this job will not make him look good if it's jordan + the old budget level. this team makes interims look silly and will over time chew up coaches with more experience.

i will also toss out there that wilmer was once USYNT U-17/U-18 HC and RGV coach (and then the one dissolution year at Chivas). it could simply be us being cheap or cute. rather than pay the going rate for an experienced senior level coach, you buy a youth team type coach, eager to break in but inexperienced at the level he's being hired for. MoneyBall.

8. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Well, this is unexpected. Let's hope these surprises keep coming from the Dynamo.

*rey*, Dynamo_Forever and CeltTexan repped this.
  9. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I'm not impressed with this signing. Don't get me wrong, Tab has been good for the U20 NT, but that doesn't equate into immediate success in MLS.

I wonder who else was on the short list and why/how they arrived at this decision.

I was really hoping the team would sign a proven winner from a better league. A significant upgrade, not just one with potential for been an upgrade.

10. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically you were hoping for a proven winner from a better league? How would we attract that? Better yet why would they come here? We'd only get someone trying to make a name for themselves or someone washed up with little options.

MannieG, ElNaranja and *rey* repped this.
  11. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Money. Lots of money. Which is something Brener and this penny-pinching organization is not going to do.

BTW, I only said that I was "hoping" for a proven winner, "realistically" I knew that wasn't going to happen. Not with the group of Scrooges that own this shit-show and the clowns they have running it.

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. I just hope Ramos knows what he is doing. Not technically or leadership wise — I’m convinced Ramos can succeed and has the qualities necessary — I just hope he knows what he has gotten himself into and that he has negotiated for sufficient resources and support and control so that he can be successful.

I like that Ramos should have sufficient stature to stand up to Jordan and I consider Ramos signing an indication of serious reform. If the team is poor I assume Ramos will be hard to scapegoat.

Of course, I’m making some assumptions here that may be completely wrong.

MannieG repped this.
  13. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    If they sign him and fire Jordan, that's serious reform. Otherwise this is a half measure.

MannieG, Dynam0, AcetheTigah and 3 others repped this.
  14. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They were pretty clear that wasn't going to happen. Given Jordan's statements on the search, Tab Ramos is a best case outcome.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do have to chuckle that while everyone is singing Tab Ramos praises because he is a U-20 national team coach, they conveniently forget that Wilmer Cabrera was a U-17
    National Team coach for 4 years as well.

Really curious why he’d take a job that would require him to report Matt Jordan knowing the lack of real investment this team has made. Figure he’d have a better option than this

*rey* repped this.
  16. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Tab Ramos is absolutely a great coach when it’s a level playing field. I have watched his teams against international competition and I think he is the right hire. The style of play he promotes is more pleasing to watch.

17. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    All of you guys are correct in that if he is not given the resources necessary he probably won’t succeed. Jordan should be fired.

However, if they plan on building a youth development / Ajax type of club and invest in the resources necessary then we will be going in the right direction. We still need better scouting, we need a better academy, and we need a better team technical GM to manage the player side.

CeltTexan repped this.
  18. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    A youth development club (is this actually happening?) is going to bring a lot more loyalty and tickets to games from people connected to the academy - players and family and alumni.

It would be a long term effort but would build the right culture for the long haul similar in a way to college football.

19. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    At this point I am convinced there will be no ‘white knight’ new owner to come in and save the team from mismanagement. The best I can hope for is the develop players / sell players model because these current owners will never spend money comparable to top 4 teams. For crikes sake there’s talk of Beckham bringing in Messi and I believe he would do it if he gets the money...,

20. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    The Ajax model doesn’t win Europe often but they are good to watch and have a great soccer culture.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    how often does the first team HC in recent history watch or interact with the academy kids. if it's minimal i think we're confusing senior team coaching with running the academy. and improving academy players is probably not achieved by scouting the signable end product for useful parts but by hands-on coaching from 10 y/o upwards. if there was a second or third memo right there to be had that the coaches missed then that would probably show up in the development league table. if not, you have to get digging in the garden to grow better plants.

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Kinnear, I believe the answer is never or close to it..

Coyle, extremely often.

Cabrera, no idea but never heard of him watching academy games.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    In terms of whether Jordan stays, I'd read between these continued "we" lines:
    "We are very pleased to welcome Tab to the Houston Dynamo. He brings a wealth of coaching experience to our club, having led the U.S. U-20 National Team program to unprecedented success over the last eight years," SVP and GM Matt Jordan said in a statement. "As we went through the search process, we were impressed with how his approach to the game aligned with our club’s goals and objectives. We are confident that his experience, coaching philosophy, and ability to teach and relate to players make him the right coach to lead our team moving forward."

In terms of where this might be heading:
    "This is a club that has winning in its DNA, a club with a clear vision for the future centered around development and a team-first mentality..." [Ramos]

"he has a deep understanding of how to develop young players from his tenure with the Under-20 national team. Most importantly, we believe he will be a great fit within the club culture that we are working to create on and off the pitch.” [Brener]

my guess, imitate Dallas. no uptick in payroll. focus on team players and maybe spend more on the academy. not sure how it nets out if you run off the jerks but make us more coherent as a team. academy benefits would be inherently deferred. on that it matters more who coaches as opposed to who watches.

24. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I've been laughing as I see fan responses to this. Along the lines of, "great, now go sign some star players, etc, etc".

It's almost like they haven't been paying attention to this ownership group for the last 5-6 years. Then think ownership has been waiting to hire Ramos and now they'll finally spend the money they weren't spending before?

25. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I’ve seen you say this about Coyle before and I have to ask. He seemed so interested in the Academy and players like Lucatero. Why didn’t he try to bring any of them through to the first team?