New Coach Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Sep 19, 2017.

1. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were the Rapids to actually get him he'd be an ex-Burnley player.

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And remind me again what division your Rovers are playing in....... :D ;)

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind me again how long its been since Burnley were champions of England? :D

fortcollins repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Ok. Ok. Fair enough! Bastard!

well... Kenny Dalglish and Alan Shearer ain't walking down the tunnel at Ewood Park anytime soon unless it's a 25 yr anniversary. ;)

Sports Yak, fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  5. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won the First Division 1959-1960 ... you did ask :)

fortcollins, JasonMa and m vann repped this.
  6. Yayasanogo

Yayasanogo Member

Mexico
    Aug 12, 2017
    It sounds like professionalism was the team's biggest weakness for NZ ;)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/footba...ts-out-over-nz-football-culture-lack-of-games

He seems ruthless if the players are not up to standard as well.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...r-hard-stance-on-player-s-fitness-levels.html

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...fends-decision-to-drop-kosta-barbarouses.html

fortcollins, Quinn 33 and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no idea how happy I am to read that Hudson is a hardass. For years we have desperately needed someone who is going to cut though all the feel-good "we've just been unlucky" bullshit, and is not afraid shove lazy and substandard talent out the door.

That's exactly what this club needs, and that is worth getting excited over.

jimijam28, crazyjon85, COMtnGuy and 5 others repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    J
    Just for the record it took a sketchy, stoppage time, penalty call for KSE's London franchise to beat Burnley Sunday.

Also in the playoff matches with Peru Chris Wood seemed to be one of New Zealand's best players. When he came on as a substitute in the second leg he really seemed to be a difference maker, they just seemed more potent once they got Wood.

9. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I read and hear about Hudson, the more I have hope. The whole parade of Rapids coaches over the years has been a succession of "OK, let's see if this one can do any better." Mooch had his moments of success in a young league. GS caught lightning in a bottle with a scrappy team that largely avoided serious injuries. Beyond that, there hesn't been much to cheer about in two decades of mediocrity.

I sense something different about Hudson. I sure could be wrong, but the whole feel of this situation is different, much more real. He seems grounded, serious and methodical. Maybe kiddie soccer time is over, and the Rapids are about to start adulting? Here's hoping.

jimijam28, crazyjon85, kucsdat and 3 others repped this.
  10. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <Looks up birthplace on Wikipedia>

Seattle?

Damnit, add to the list that they invented our head coach.

Yayasanogo, Virginian, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily some of us got out before being infected by Sounder-itis

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is MLS mechanics don't make it easy to off load players "in season" and then there is the Cap.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Was Pablo's problem not being a hardass or not being able to back it up with good judgment? Was he lolly pop with the players or just with the press? It's far more forgivable if he only blew smoke with the press. There were those instances where he didn't play guys like Gabby Torres for being out of shape. The team seemed far worse and mistake prone after he was canned.

It seemed Pablo's big deal was not being able to solve the problem of how to attack, and as part of that, recognize who should play. (Not that he had great choices, but some of that could have been his fault as well.)

Hudson needs to be able to do a far better job there in addition to holding players accountable.

14. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So will the Rapids ever announce Hudson as coach, or will the team just go through the 2018 season without acknowledging a new manager?

I imagine the team bench will have a scarecrow in place of an actual manager.

[​IMG]

Paranoid Coyote and COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I too find it a bit odd that Hudson has been introduced as the coach yet - assuming he's in town. Can't imagine what the Rapids would be waiting for . . . it's Tuesday and nothing big is going on today in the local sports scene.

16. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    My guess is the actual signing and picture with the scarf. That may be happening today/tomorrow, then they have to clean it up and get it out as a press release.

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Nailed it. I was imagining a full color with the pitch in the background and the scarf raised high.

Rod1916 repped this.
  20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Apparently the delay wasn't for him to shave the Weinstein beard? (Full disclosure need to do the same myself, lazy over the 4 day weekend.)

Now if we can get Ray Hudson to replace 'Chello ...

21. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One way to prevent a roster crisis is not having pricey players like Buddle, Torres, or Gashi starting the season fat and out of shape.

Pablo's problem was he simply had no idea what he was doing in most aspects of the job. You can't really pin it down to one fault.

This club for years has been notoriously bad about holding players accountable. This issue predates Pablo's coaching stint. Be it poor performances, not training hard enough, or even dictating lineups (see Jones), there hasn't been a coach thats acted like an actual boss to the players.

Instead we've had these "player's coaches" (Pablo and Pareja specifically) that are soft and far too quick to forgive and forget poor performances. If the coach doesn't command respect while also demanding more out of the players, you end up with a shit team with subpar younger talent that never grows and a bunch of veteran transients that switch clubs every few years. When thats your approach, you can't expect to build a stable system thats going to last.

fortcollins, Andy126, jayd8888 and 3 others repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting notes at the bottom of the Post's article about an intense pre-season before CCL:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/29/anthony-hudson-colorado-rapids-head-coach/

kucsdat, jayd8888 and m vann repped this.
  23. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hooray. Now let's see who they bring in as players.

But I can say I am optimistic we are heading in the right direction. And we will see fewer backward passes.

24. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    But Watts can now say he was able to score on the USMNT legend.....

Sports Yak, kucsdat, fortcollins and 3 others repped this.
  25. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Colorado Coach Hudson!!
    (I already feel sorry for him)
    C'mon Rapids give him the money to build the team he wants.