New Coach Flash: Bombard them with emails

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by timed_out, Jul 21, 2004.

1. timed_out

timed_out New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey everyone,

let's bombard our dear friends in Chicago and beg them to replace April after the Olympics with this team:
    Head Coach - Carla Overbeck
    Assistant Coach - Lauren Gregg
    Assistant Coach - Jerry Smith

Here's the address, (http://www.ussoccer.com/feedback/default.sps) just tell them whatever you want. if we complain enough, maybe we'll see some action.
    please, keep it clean and somewhat polite. explain, if you want, why april is not good for the job, but why the other team would be perfect.
    (still can't believe millie and mac aren't going to the olys)

when you have to choose what department to send it to, send it to all of them if you want. (http://www.ussoccer.com/feedback/default.sps)
    let's flood them!

Go USA!

http://www.ussoccer.com/feedback/default.sps

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I just used the three computers here in my office to bombard them with emails asking where the **** Chalupa and Ann Cook are!!!!

3. timed_out

timed_out New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ok, just found out that the federation link doesn't work - try it anyways, but if you get a bounce reply, try another link. thx

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Chris Petrucelli should be the next coach.

5. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    What qualifications doe Carla Overbeck have to be a National Team coach? This is ridiculous. Lauren Gregg, maybe. Jerry Smith, only if his interest in the team are professional and not personal.

If you're going to bug the federation, be sure you are recommending a coach who could actually qualify for the job.

6. timed_out

timed_out New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    fine...suggest whomever you want. that was just who i'd pick. go ahead, try to qualify yourself...

fine...suggest whomever you want. that was just who i'd pick. go ahead, try to qualify yourself...

7. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm not interested in the job, or I would be trying to qualify. But there are others (2 you mentioned) with the proper qualifications.

Just seems to me that before you'd post on an international soccer list asking for a national campaign to bombard the USSF, you'd want to make sure the coach you're recommending is qualified.

No disrespect to Carla. She may have the required "A" license and may already be on national staff, but I've never heard of it.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well she is going into her 12th season as a Duke assistant. But I don't think that necessarily qualifies herself for someone that can coach at the international level right away. Me thinks she'd need some seasoning as a head coach at a major program for a decent number of years before she can start breaking into the US Soccer coaching ranks...maybe start with a U-xx team before trying to be the USWNT coach.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..but when the long time Duke coach left several years ago...wasn't she one of the candidates to potentially become the head coach? Or am I just ****** in the head on that one?

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I like Carla, but exactly how much head coach experience does she have? You want a rookie in control of the US National Team?

:rolleyes:

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My thoughts exactly. Too much of the "Analysis" around here is really just "Emotion". Not a lot of critical thinking going on.

13. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    Come on AndyM, this is the modern age! If you can have a rookie running the WUSA, why can't you uhhh.... ummm... nevermind. :D

14. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    First of all, it needs to be a male! Don't jump on me but women coaches are terrible. Secondly, it cannot be an existing college coach. Jerry Smith might be great but why would he leave his cush job at Santa Clara. Thirdly, it needs to be a male who is not associated with the Women's NT in anyway what so ever. We need a person who can make their own decisions and evaluate players independently, which is completely opposite of April. April has a history with almost all that were chosen for the Olympics. We need someone who will wipe the slate clean and invite players in to be evaluated as players, not as former players, by their looks, by what they have done for women's soccer. The quality of this Olympic team has been compromised by bad judgement and favors.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And yet the two teams in the WWC final were coached by women...

16. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    Mere conincidence I am sure... :)

17. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Just think how much better they would have all played had there been male coaches. That certainly applies for the US team. Total lack of attacking soccer. Goals need to be scored by more than set plays. A male coach is much more agressive and demands attacking soccer.

18. Siegen

Siegen New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Boise, Idaho
    I think the coach should be someone completely detached from the previous influences of Dorrance and DiCiccio. New blood, new ideas. The old ones aren't working anymore.

19. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    That is TheWholeTruth!

20. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    Actually,

Im going to have to disagree with you here. Anson had a fair bit of success when he coached, and so did Tony. Their ideas were sound and still are. April however, has two things gonig against her. First, is that her style of coaching and the way she sets up the team, is quite different than either of her predecessors. So we are not comparing apples to apples when we talk about "old ideas aren't working". The second thing is that the US team is likely the oldest and slowest team internationally right now. At least when you look at the starters.

Brandi, Joy, Scurry, Mia, Foudy, Lilly, Boxx, and Hamm are all over 30. That is an old team folks. China has the same problem. Anson and Tony went after youthful, quick players and it took them some time, but they came good. As time has marched on, everyone around us has used the same formula, but Tony refused to really integrate new blood into the team, knowing he could win with the vets who were still young enough. Well that was 5 years ago. Or half the typical international career of a soccer player. The US will likely not hoist gold again until we get young players into the team, train them well, and get them experience. I'd say we are at least 4 years away.

I believe we are maximizing our talent right now. But the talent pool must change for us to re-establish ourselves.

21. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    The talent pool is full of youthful, competitive and skilled players but there is no room for them because of the old team folks as you called them. We will be all right once they vacate the spots for more hungry players.

And, secondly, we don't need a coach with any ties to any college program. Take a look at how many UNC players are on this team. That should never happen again.

22. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    A agree with you about vacating the spots. But what do you have against UNC players? The fact of the matter is that UNC is recruiting these players because they are GOOD. These kids are already well into the national team system before UNC gets them. I think it's something of a misnomer to say that UNC is pushing kids into the nats. That's just not how it works.

23. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    The connection between Anson, Tony and now April is too bias toward the UNC player. UNC should not be the launching pad to the NT. That has been one of the reasons that players want to go to UNC because they are a step away from the NT. Not fair to the other universities and that was one of the reasons Anson had to step down. He did step down but not away. No affiliation would be much greater and indeed more fair.

24. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Help me out here and name some potential male, non-college coaches.

25. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    This is complete and utter nonsense. Name me ONE player in the past 5 years that was NOT in the national team system prior to attending UNC and got ON the national team after going to UNC. Any one name will do.

Also, if you look at the rosters of the USWNT and the USU19 teams, the majority of players are NOT from UNC. This had nothing to do with Anson leaving the WNT. In fact, Tony was the keeper coach at UNC at the time, so what's the rationale? Replace one UNC coach with another and mystically everything is ok?

Completely nonsense, sorry.